rain water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have water butts-a-plenty for when the well dries up.
We're talking about 5 odd tonnes of the stuff. I wouldn't want to drink it straight from the butt, but if push comes to shove a trip through a filter and a boil-up and we'll have to drink it.
I've been thinking about collecting water off a basha, I saw some funnels that would attach to the corners of a tarp and fill a drinking bottle - anyone got a link, my PC has died several times recently and I've lost loads of info.

ATB

Ogri the trog

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Orgi the trog has a good point there. I think it depends where it comes from. I wouldn't hesitate to drink it if it fell into something clean. I would hesitate ,however, if it was off a roof or somenthing like that.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Yep, I would be happy to drink rain water, providing it had come from the sky, into a funnel and into my water bottle, wouldn't be happy drinking the stuff if it was run off from the trees or from buildings...

LS

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One of my sisters lived out in the sticks near brisbane and they collected rainwater off the roof, she is still alive :)

Plus when I lived on the farm we had a tank that collected water right off the fell, used to get peat floaties in it.
Looked orible but tasted better than townwater and in the eleven years I lived there it never did me any harm.

As far as I am aware if you collect it off your roof it's better to have a system that gets rid of the first few gallons of each rainfall cos that washes the birdcrap off the roof.

Never seemed to do the inhabitants of Gibraltar any harm either :)
Oh and just assuming that your roof gets near as dammit a meter (I live in sunny Cumbria ;) ) of rainfall per year, thats quite a lot when multiplied by the area of the average roof.

Collecting rainwaterl is kind of on my "To Do" list as it's all very well and good being interested in sustanable camping or bushcraft or whatever the term is this week but it's not much cop if I am consuming the planets recources at a faster that sustainable rate.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've drunk rainwater for years but I'm fussy where I've collected it from. ;)
Neat idea for the tarp though :D
I've been thinking about buying one of those water purifying straws; would they clear out any runoff from the waterproofing or would that clog them very quickly?

I agree about the peat water; ours used to come from the Daer reservoir up on the Lanark moors and when it rained heavily we got coloured water, still tasted good; now it's so cleaned up it smells of chlorine when you turn on the taps :(

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE