rain water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
That's a toughie. I know it has been distilled, but it then absorbs all kind of stuff as it falls through the atmosphere, not to mention from where it is caught.

No, I don't think I'd be too keen on it if it was a large amount.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I have on a number of occasions. Didn't seem to do me any harm. My understanding of the physics of rainwater is that it's safe to drink as the process of evaporation purifies it. I'm realise that by saying that I'm setting myslef up for a knockdown when everyone points out I'm talking rhubarb :lmao:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'll stand next to ya Mike, for the knocking down! :lmao:

It would have to not be contaminated in the collection process though - not run off a tarp treated with some dodgy insect repellent or some such.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Providing that it had been collected cleanly, yeah, without a worry.

Even if the rain droplets were to pick up stuff from the air, it would only be what you are breathing in already, or, would be chemicals that purifying treatments wouldn't touch anyhow.

I would be less keen if the rain was falling through the leaves of trees and getting collected of the end of a grubby basha :eek:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I wouldn't have drunk the rain water from your neighbourhood a few weeks ago....

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fair point... My half of town didn't get the smoke over us, but just incase,
If the rain appears to be black, don't drink it, you are down wind of Hemel!

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I collect it from my hammock tarp via a small funnel attached to a camelbak bag and I'm still alive! Its also good as when it rains it automatically drops the tarp down to make it more rain proof inside the hammock.
Good to make sure you haven't treated whatever you catch it in with fabseal or the like otherwise you may get waterproofed insides!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Rainwater is usually fine to drink, but be careful that it hasn't been in contact with anything poisonous on its way out the sky - particularly dripping off plants etc might pick up toxins.

As to acidity and chemical content - the UK average pH of rainwater is around 5 - which is more acidic than 'pure' water but much higher than other drinks (cola is usually around 2.5 to 3!)

As far as chemicals go, I believe that you can avoid a lot of these if you don't drink rainwater that has only just started falling, as this will be highest in particulates etc that its hitting and taking out the air.

However, I've just found this link http://www.kitchendoctor.com/reprints/water.html which seems to imply that there's too many pesticides and herbicides in rainwater in Europe to make it drinkable...

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
When I lived in SE Alaska - it was all we drank. There was no alternative. It rained a lot - so there was no problem. Every house and building had drains off the roof to a cistern. Seems you couldn't get a well down in the muskeg.

In winter, you could get 12 feet in one snowfall, but it would soon melt. I never wore anything but rubber boots. A very wet place. Much warmer in winter than where I live now.

PG

heeby

Jan 2, 2006
west yorkshire
a few years ago in my home town of knottingley it snowed and the snow was pink it made the local news and a local glass making company was fined for releasing something or other into the atmosphere.

Trevody

May 30, 2005
North Lincolnshire
Living local to the steel works in sunny Scuny (North Lincs) when I’ve been out in the local woods and had to rely on rain water for drinking I rigged up a filter using spag and Charcoal from my fire in a plastic bottle to filter out any fallout from the works, still boiled the collected water before I used it though.

Trev

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I know in australia they collect the rain water off the roofs, not in the larger towns but where they dont have a water main. Most houses we went to just had a bloddy great tank round back which all gutters filled and it was just pumped in to the house. Not filterd or any thing, didnt seem to do them any harm

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive drunk rainwater, never done me any harm.

also spring and well water

the stagnant stuff made me ill, though

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
tagnut69 said:
I know in australia they collect the rain water off the roofs, not in the larger towns but where they dont have a water main. Most houses we went to just had a bloddy great tank round back which all gutters filled and it was just pumped in to the house. Not filterd or any thing, didnt seem to do them any harm

I grew up on it and it didn't do me any harm. It makes the best tea. However on occassion it would taint - inevitably there'd be a dead tree frog or pigeon in it, which had to be fished out. My wife's folks still have tank water - they live rural and there's no pipe water. It's not ususual to have 30,000 litres stored where I come from (NSW).

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
i live in st. helens home of pilkingtons the glass family and if like me your daftenuff to walk home at stupid o'clock in the morning(not saying were iv been) you can see them tern the chimnys up to full (well i dont know what they do) and all you see is think smog puming out the to 3time more than in the day make you think about what crap is in the air and our water that souldnt be there. :eek:

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Brendan said:
I collect it from my hammock tarp via a small funnel attached to a camelbak bag and I'm still alive! Its also good as when it rains it automatically drops the tarp down to make it more rain proof inside the hammock.
Good to make sure you haven't treated whatever you catch it in with fabseal or the like otherwise you may get waterproofed insides!

I've a question using this method presumably the water has dripped from the trees to which the tarps suspended first anyone know of any tree's that might leach out nasties or toxins?
Dave.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Nemisis said:
I've a question using this method presumably the water has dripped from the trees to which the tarps suspended first anyone know of any tree's that might leach out nasties or toxins?
Dave.

the dreaded Yew. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE