Rabbit recipes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi folks I know there recipes on here for rabbit. I just wanted to know as this is a rabbit given to me yesterday all skinned etc. I just need to joint it.

My good lady is not fond of rabbit but I want to do something a bit more spicey with it so that she will hopefully enjoy it a bit more but at the same time I dont want to kill the taste of the rabbit entirely.

I have been told to cook it long and slow so that it just falls off the bone?

good or bad advice?

cheers

Andy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Depends whether it's a buck or a doe and how old it is.
If I get any bucks they go straight to the ferrets, a 3/4 grown rabbit or a milky doe is the best eating.

Anyhow, soak in cold salt water overnight to get rid of the rabbity smell/taste.
Boil for 3 hours, remove carcass and pick off the meat - the saddle being my favourite part.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
If its one of this seasons bunnies who could dreg it in seasoned flour then deep fry 'KFC' style. I often use other game this way on the BBQ.

Or stew it with root veg and herbs and spices of your choice. Depends on the age of the animal. Older ones need long slow cooking. Young ones can be flash fried in the pan.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
A sweet and chili sauce or a kung po is the biz. Carrots ,onions,peppers,garlic and more chillis with rice or cous cous.

phil

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
For Rabbit stew.
Dust rabbit quarters and and large saddle bits in flower.
Pan fry until brown, place in a casserole dish along with Two chopped onions and some chopped carrots, a small can of cyder, 2 teaspoons of English mustard and some vegetable stock.
Cook for a couple of hours @180.
Don't forget some dumplings with dried herbs, I use French herbs, they go on top of stew 30 minutes before times up.
Enjoy, lovely jubly.
You got me going now, I'll have to ask a young gamekeeper friend for some.
Better still, bit of luck we might go shooting together.

An edit here.

When I shoot rabbits, on picking them up I always hold them with one hand and with the other I lightly squeeze down the sides of the rabbit to get rid of the pee. It stops the meet smelling of rabbit pee, and it tastes much better.

Last edited:

Madpuppy

Dec 7, 2009
Blair, Nebraska U.S.A.
I usually cook my cottontails over an open campfire on a spitrod Jeremiah Johnson style, I skewer the rabbit on the spitrod and wire the legs together then sprinkle some Lawry's seasoning salt on and cook slow til done. I do take Hugo's tip one step further when hunting rabbits, I take the rabbit by the neck and squeeze til I hear the esophogus tear from the throat then with one quick and rapid snap downward the entrails shoot right out the pooper. I do this immidiatly after I shoot them as it gets rid of the nasty stuff that pollutes the meat. Good eatin' guys and gals.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I usually cook my cottontails over an open campfire on a spitrod Jeremiah Johnson style, I skewer the rabbit on the spitrod and wire the legs together then sprinkle some Lawry's seasoning salt on and cook slow til done. I do take Hugo's tip one step further when hunting rabbits, I take the rabbit by the neck and squeeze til I hear the esophogus tear from the throat then with one quick and rapid snap downward the entrails shoot right out the pooper. I do this immidiatly after I shoot them as it gets rid of the nasty stuff that pollutes the meat. Good eatin' guys and gals.

Your making hungry.

Any chance of a video of of you doing the rapid snap. :)

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
why not try something she does know but with a twist, my misses does a fansatic beef stog with rabbit instead, or how about curry, balti, we just use the raddit meat instead of any other meat and the kids never ever knew they were eating thumper for years

Madpuppy

Dec 7, 2009
Blair, Nebraska U.S.A.
Your making hungry.

Any chance of a video of of you doing the rapid snap. :)

Sorry Hugo no video, I know it sounds kinda morbid but it works great. I used to hate cleaning rabbits when I was a kid, when we we're out on a camping trip one winter running a trapline a friend of my trapping partners dad showed us this method of gutting them. I was about 14 then and been doing it this way for 33 years.

Dec 11, 2009
cornwall
We make a lot of bunny burgers, because rabbits are a bi product of my job we had to find a way of getting rid of them, when we had 40 odd ferrets kicking around between them and the lurchers we could shift quite a few but nothing like the numbers we were culling, we used to curry, roast, bbq etc etc for ourselves until that fatefull day :eek:Swmbo after a particularly succesfull night on one of the golf courses we look after decided to process these rabbits because they were absolute corkers, she basicly takes off the saddle meat and hind leg meat and minces it for the burgers. Well me who thought they knew it all had always thought that tape worm cysts were only found in the digestive tract, WRONG, she found them between the spine and the underside of the saddle, inside the hind leg muscle etc, for years we had been eating these cysts when roasting etc, ok they were cooked, but now i dont do rabbit unless they have been very carefully processed, the dogs are no longer fed raw rabbits "wondered why they were needing worming so often":eek: and i dont barter them up the local anymore.:rolleyes:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Hi folks I know there recipes on here for rabbit. I just wanted to know as this is a rabbit given to me yesterday all skinned etc. I just need to joint it.

My good lady is not fond of rabbit but I want to do something a bit more spicey with it so that she will hopefully enjoy it a bit more but at the same time I dont want to kill the taste of the rabbit entirely.

I have been told to cook it long and slow so that it just falls off the bone?

good or bad advice?

cheers

Andy

If you want something 'spicey' try this out obviously using rabbit meat inplace of chicken.

hardest bit is boning the rabbit.

Woodlark

Oct 18, 2006
Surrey, UK
Loads of rabbit meat passes thro this house so I basically only use the main portions - the saddle and the hind legs! It can be a tough meat so I bung mine in a slow cooker overnight, next strip off the meat and use it for pretty much anything!!! It is meltingly tender yet holds its shape - it does a curry beautifully, but can be good as a replacement for any chicken recipe too. My Mum used to mix it with belly pork and make a pie of it. Keep eating rabbit everyone, its vastly underated, good for you and environmentally friendly (like bushcraft!!!)

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
My gran had an open range and cooked in the side oven. Her rabbit pie was superb, but my favourite of hers was whole carcase stuffed with diced apple, wrapped in bacon rashers and all wrapped in foil.
This was cooked slowly untill the meat fell away from the bone.

I really miss my gran.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE