Rabbit furs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Hi I've been using my deer hides for years and not noticed any problems with any of my tanning but I've recently been using all of my furs including rabbit and squirrel I've been making a trapper hat from rabbit furs and now I'm nearly done I have a problem with the fur falling out ?? Any ideas from more experienced fur workers please

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done regarding the fur falling out. With any commercially made rabbit fur hat that I've bought (and I've had a few over the years), they all shed fur continuously but not to the point of having bare spots.
It's just the way rabbit is I believe.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's to do with the age of the rabbit and the point it was in it's shedding cycle when it was killed.

Really, really good rabbit skins won't shed, but those are called Prime skins and they're from rabbits about 6 or 7 months old. Basically adult sized and furred but not moulting. Four month old ones are lovely skins and fur but soft, and really only for inside out courrans or lining mitts, pockets, gloves, muffs and hats.

Rabbits, iimc, moult three or four times a year, and if the hair is already coming out when it's killed, then tough luck, it's not a 'prime' skin.

Difference between buying a furrier quality pelt or coat and a generic one from a chain store back in the late 70's early 80's when coney skin jackets were really in fashion.

cheers,
Toddy

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done regarding the fur falling out. With any commercially made rabbit fur hat that I've bought (and I've had a few over the years), they all shed fur continuously but not to the point of having bare spots.
It's just the way rabbit is I believe.

Thanks I'm almost happy to hear that as if it's normal I can live with it

Regards Dave (caps lock )
@mouseinthewood

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
It's to do with the age of the rabbit and the point it was in it's shedding cycle when it was killed.

Really, really good rabbit skins won't shed, but those are called Prime skins and they're from rabbits about 6 or 7 months old. Basically adult sized and furred but not moulting. Four month old ones are lovely skins and fur but soft, and really only for inside out courrans or lining mitts, pockets, gloves, muffs and hats.

Rabbits, iimc, moult three or four times a year, and if the hair is already coming out when it's killed, then tough luck, it's not a 'prime' skin.

Difference between buying a furrier quality pelt or coat and a generic one from a chain store back in the late 70's early 80's when coney skin jackets were really in fashion.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks makes perfect sense really I'll be more picky with my furs next project

Regards Dave (caps lock )
@mouseinthewood

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's any consolation I don't think it'll go baldy, but any hairs that are already loose will come out over time.
You could try combing it and seeing if that reaches a no shed point ?......and you can spin the stuff that combs out too :D Usually it gets carded with wool but it makes a beautiful yarn and lovely mitts or socks. It stuffs things for cat toys as well, and fishermen who tie their own flies are often quite pleased to be given a wee bag of it.

atb,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It's a good many years since I did anything with Coney skins and my memory is not what it once was, but I recall that part of the tanning process involving Alum, mixed to a paste with water and applied liberally to the flesh side, was always thought to prevent the worst of the shedding. I've put the word out for my old partner to get in touch, she did thousands of them a year and made some of her living from it and there's not much she doesn't know about all this, so if/when she contacts me I'll post some more info.

I'm sure the Alum is a very efficient shrinking agent, and shuts the follicles in the skin.............maybe enough there to do a little search?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Alum is very drying; it tightens up skin. It also attracts water though, it's hygroscopic, and it's a skin and mucous membrane irritant, so it can be less than ideal for clothing.
I know it's much used, but, it has issues.

The best natural tanning solution for fur on hides is powdered mimosa bark. Non toxic, non polluting, non allergenic, doesn't stink, does a beautiful job of tanning them and leaves a soft, malleable skin and beautifully conditioned fur :approve:

Interested to hear what your old partner has to say about it though :) first hand experience is excellent :D

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That makes sense, Mary; the skins we did were all sold to a dealer so probably didn't go specifically for clothing....I certainly wouldn't want to encourage anyone to use an irritant of any description............

It'd be interesting to hear what Laura has to say, she's extremely knowledgable about skins and tanning, but I'm not even sure which part of the planet she's on these days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE