question about trapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
if you look in a survival book or on the many websites about the subject you will normally find a chapter about trap building included, it's also a topic of many survival/outdoor courses. i've build quite a few of them to see how they're made and then taken them totally apart(and destroying every part of them to prevent misuse by others) as most (european) countries do not allow them(!!!check laws before trying!!!). for the same reason most outdoor/survival courses- both civilian and military- simulate hunting success by providing a dead animal.
while i was in new zealand about two years ago i spent some time on rather remote places where there was a lot or trouble with possums(an introduced species regarded as a pest as they do a lot of damage to native flora and fauna) and rabbits. which provided me with an opportunity to test some traps (without any harm to native species!), but with rather limited success- either they just pinched the bait or some predator was faster and got an easy meal... . snares worked well on rabbits and i got quite a few possums with bought traps(instant killing) for the pot, but the selfmade ones a la figure4-trigger were a total failure(for me)

has anyone used traps succesful in a survival situation or on a long bushtrip and if yes- which ones worked best?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There are quite a few Trapping specific e-books for free download over on Bushcraft USA , But you do have to sign up as a ( free ) member.

Go on , go and say hi to our cousins!!

Forest dweller , I'm studying traps too at the moment ( really should get some phots up ) and obvious there is a point where you need the trigger to be sensitive enough to be triggered and trying to combine a forcefull trap mechanism that WILL be released. tricky as your trying to achieve sensitivity and power , not two thing that are automatic bed fellows.

this is something that really interests me but no experience any books i shoul read in particular?

Thanks Dave

well, that's the problem- books usually give only a general idea of how-to-do-it; often they just seem to contain pictures of something somebody heard or saw somewhere and then put it in the book without trying if it really works... . when building DUMMYtraps after those pictures i usually found several little improvements for them

the only success i got with traps was as a use for HARMLESS boobytraps :pokenest:

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I caught a few squirrels in my figure four deadfall (baited with the jam from the 24 hour rat. pack). My home made snares have been a success on a few occasions, but other than that have not really had much success on catching stuff.

1. Make sure it is on a visible animal trail
2. IF in doubt, bait it.

I caught a few squirrels in my figure four deadfall (baited with the jam from the 24 hour rat. pack). My home made snares have been a success on a few occasions, but other than that have not really had much success on catching stuff.

1. Make sure it is on a visible animal trail

that's what i did- they usually went around(even if i blocked the sides off)/over/under it/avoided it...

2. IF in doubt, bait it.

did that as well- either no interest or bait pinched by rodents/birds...

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I learned a lot by watching lots of YouTube videos. Check out wildernessarcheryoutfitters & videos by JohnyRambo, amongst others. They show you how they are built, tips for setting them etc.. Then go build some, as this is the only way to really learn how they are done. Just make sure you dont get caught with one on other people's land & always remove all the cordage from the site before scattering the cut wood bits in 4 directions (rather than leaving an obvious pile of bits for a keeper to find). Worked for me. I have had a few rabbit on sprung snares, on land where I have shooting permission & the owner did not mind; but they were always broken up after I left the land.

Update: forgot to say that if you are using anything under tension (sprung snares, toggle based traps etc..) then always set them from the side & the wise will wear safty glasses, as they can cause a nasty injury if they fly up when you are setting them.

Last edited:
I have used traps often when in the back country. when I first started trying to use them, I very seldom had success. some times it was do to same things you encountered, but often it was trap sensitivitie or or strength of the trap, or even understanding the animals in the area better
In my experience the simpler the design the better, and the amount used is key to success. I was taught to put out at least 8-10 to maximize your success. and understand the simpler traps have less that can go wrong with them, but the kill in my experience also takes alot longer.
and do not just think strictly on the ground/land. fish traps, or traps set at water's edge that when it catchs an animal going into the water, the fact it is attached to a rock drags the animal under water and it drowns. If it catchs something comeing out of the water then it acts as a simple every day snare.
as for the animals ability to get bait and leave. That just happens. other animals getting a free easy meal? that is where knowing the animals in your area and there habits so as an example you go to traps in early evening cause the animal you suspect of getting your catch is nocturnal and nipping it during the night.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I have used traps often when in the back country. when I first started trying to use them, I very seldom had success. some times it was do to same things you encountered, but often it was trap sensitivitie or or strength of the trap, or even understanding the animals in the area better
In my experience the simpler the design the better, and the amount used is key to success. I was taught to put out at least 8-10 to maximize your success. and understand the simpler traps have less that can go wrong with them, but the kill in my experience also takes alot longer.
and do not just think strictly on the ground/land. fish traps, or traps set at water's edge that when it catchs an animal going into the water, the fact it is attached to a rock drags the animal under water and it drowns. If it catchs something comeing out of the water then it acts as a simple every day snare.
as for the animals ability to get bait and leave. That just happens. other animals getting a free easy meal? that is where knowing the animals in your area and there habits so as an example you go to traps in early evening cause the animal you suspect of getting your catch is nocturnal and nipping it during the night.

It is very difficult to pass comment on posts from other countries as I do not have an understanding of every countries laws. BUT I warn anyone living in the UK to read up on the laws on trapping. There are strict guidelines about the type of trap you use, how often you check it etc. etc. Anything involving strangling and drowning is a no no. Snares should be free running to allow the rabbit (or whatever) to sit there until humane dispatch. A chap has just been fined £1500 and given a criminal record for live trapping a grey squirrel then dropping the lot in a water butt. Be aware of the law and your responsibilities. Best regards, Geoff.

Outdoor_Guy

Jul 17, 2010
UK
www.paracordbracelet.co.uk
This is not something I have really ever done. I would like to improve myself in this area. I have seen many videos on seeting snares but Im wondering how successfull they really are and can be.. Im wondering if someone can recommend a small trap that can be made out of organic materials found in the forest.. Maybe using some cord and bait that they have tried and has proved successfulll... Thanks

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Outdoor guy,heres something i posted up awhile back that may be of interest for you. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34903&highlight= . I,ve never set it up to catch anything though as this type of trap is illegal to use in the UK.But saying that,Larry Dean Olsen said in his book Outdoor Survival Skills,that his catch rate went up tenfold,compared to him using the normal figure four deadfall trap.

Anyway i hope this helps a little.
Cheers Stuart.

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
I've never used any in a survival situation but I have used traps at the hunting lease my dad used to be on. We have a big hog problem in this part of the States, Ukranian hogs that came over with the immigrant farmers got out sometimes and started mating with the local wild hog populations. 25 years ago the average wild hog was 75-100 pounds now they are averaging around 300 pounds in lots of areas. And the populations can double in six months as their mating season no longer exists and is pretty much constant. Hunters have also taken pigs up to 700 pounds, they are destroying the farmers crops, the park areas, and just destroying everything in sight. So they are now open season with year long culls by the locals, as the Government won't support any organized efforts.

We've used snares to catch them, using industrial steel cable some of which has a 1000 pound rating on it to catch them. As hunting them can be even more dangerous as I've seen rifles used to take down grizzlies just **** a pig off. So trapping is the better safer option.

Traps can and do work but it's often a numbers game the more you have out the more likely you are to catch something. A single trap is almost useless, I carry enough snare wire to put out at least 12 snares if I end up in a situation where I need to. Otherwise the snares stay put up in my pack if there's no need to kill something for food I have no desire to kill it. That's a big reason as to why I don't hunt anymore, and frankly never shot anything while I did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE