Putting up a tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Hi as I am new to all this and having just got myself a tarp/basha, I was wondering how you lot go about putting it up, length or cords etc. It will mainly be used to cover a hammock when I get one from the group buy (cant wait :) ).

Cheers

Chris

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I use lark foot finished with a stopper knot, to tie the guy lines to the tarp. I then use cleats for guy runners. You can tie in sliding knots but I find they dont hold as well.
I then tie the main lines from the tarp to the tree using the evenk knot (or fixed tarp knot) or use the clips (prussik knots) on the Hennessy line (or use krabs). Its all a bit of trail and error really and see what works for you.

Heres a quick look at my type of setup...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=10183&page=2&pp=10&highlight=cleat

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Alright tagnut,

Good luck with building your basha, like a few guys have said, do a search and you will find several variations on setting up a basha, height will depend on whether you are in a hammock or on the ground. Style is what you prefer or part determined by the weather.

For the lines, I use good ol' genuine para-cord. I have 4 lengths of around 13ft, and 1 of just over 20ft. Up to now in the 6 years, I've been bashrin up I've managed with these lengths with nil probs.

Trial and error, you'll find the best ones for you.

Enjoy

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
If you are new then try this as a basic setup.

2-3m of para cord on the corners and at the two end points of the apex.

Use cheap guy runners at the tarp end of the guy lines. IE loop the cord at the tarp attachment.

Use the evenk overhand slip knot to tie to a tree. Fixed knot but quick release.

Tension with the Guy runners.

Simple yet still light weight.

Hope that makes sense.

Neil Mac'

Jan 14, 2006
Midlands
Paracord or similar is very versatile but I've always found bungees very good. These are a length of elasticated shockcord with a plastic coated wire hook at each end. Most camping shops sell them. Quality varies a lot.

Often as not you can just hook up three corners of your bivvi and use a length of string for the fourth corner (trees are never spaced just right for a bivvi!) A fourth bungee can hold up the centre of the tarpualin so that rain doesn't collect.

If you take all the bits out and have a play with them for an afternoon you'll soon work out various methods.

Key elements are:

Rain must run off and not collect.
You need a bit more height at the head end than the foot end.
If your tarp' is big enough, it should form some sort of windbreak too.

I suppose I'm thinking more of a small one man sized groundsheet or ponch perhaps 7 foot by 5 foot slung low to the ground but the principles are much the same for bigger ones.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Bit of a tip which I picked up from Magikelly - get your tarp out somewhere nice and dry, get a good couple of metres of cord and tie onto each corner loop/hook, then bundle up neatly and tuck into the loop. Repeat for each loop.

You can also optionally thread a ridge-line through loops if they exist - make sure that you attach each end of the tarp to the ridge-line with another piece of rope and an friction knot so that you can slide it along easily but stop it moving along the line.

Much easier to set up in the field than to try to tie lengths onto a half-pitched tarp in the rain :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE