Puppy wound ( warning ! )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Took the pup for a walk along the shore as usual this afternoon, she was her normal nutty self, running and running and running, across the rocks, on the sand and grass areas. Nothing seemed amiss untill i got her home and started to brush her, she was not happy that i brushed one of her sides, on closer inspection i found a 3" gash in her side ! ....no blood, no whimpering !

straight to the vets and vast amounts of money and 9 staples later she's all stapled up and acting drunk !!

Poor pup, but at least she's been seen to and is OK :)

puppywound.jpg

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
They do that from time to time; run about like mad things, bump into something here or scrape something there and don't even notice it. Only comes to light later when a tender spot becomes apparent, as you found. They favour the sore part for a day or two, then its back to the normal lunacy again. Love 'em!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
she's bonkers Bilmo, i've never seen anything run like this, even the greyhounds can't catch her !

the vet called her a sight hound, is this some new american name for a lurcher ?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
she's bonkers Bilmo, i've never seen anything run like this, even the greyhounds can't catch her !

the vet called her a sight hound, is this some new american name for a lurcher ?

Sight hounds is the generic name for dogs that hunt by sight - greyhounds, whippets, wolfhounds and deerhounds etc. Sprinters.

Scent hounds are your "blood hound" types. Long distance machines.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Sight hounds are pretty much what the name suggests. They hunt predominantly by sight & speed; see, catch, kill. Lurchers fall into the sight hound category. I have what I think is known as an 'under 21" lurcher'...

Momo1.jpg

...15" at the shoulder, completely nutty, affectionate to a fault, fiercely protective and faster than greased weasel **** downhill with a following wind.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Pups amuse me no end when they go into one, just for a minute, anyone know why they do this?
gotta keep her calm for a while, Robbi.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
My Dog, a boxer, and by definition, mad as a box of frogs cost me well over a grand in vet bills in the first two years that i had him.
Deep gash in his fore-pad, Quarterising a cut vein in his mouth from a stick, stitches in his hind leg from running into a big rock, removal of some sort of growth, more stitches in his foreleg from a scrap, removal of a swallowed a golf ball, operation on both eyes because his eyelashes turned inwards, and eating £600 in cash from the dining room table when i was in the shower. Fortunately he grew out of it, but only after I had spent another small fortune on removing his nuts!!.

He is now insured!!

Its surprising how tough they are and how quickly the bounce back from injury.

Anyway hoping your pup recovers soon and stays out of trouble!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
yep, vet says walk her on the lead for the next 5 days at least........she's going to be so hyper !! if she doesn't run for at least an hour she's a mad thing at home !

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sight hounds as Red said. Long hounds are sight hounds crossed with something else. Of course some sight hounds also hunt with scent. Met a Weimerander (bad spelling) and that is a sight hound used for hunting deer originally I think but the owner said he used sight to hunt but when that failed would use scent. He said that when he threw stuff the dog would follow by sight say the stick then lose it as it went into the water or undergrowth at which point it would scent the last bit to find it. I think that is common with hounds to be able to use both if necessary. Love hunting and working dogs. They are just so well evolved I reckon.

BTW local pet store has a sign up for Patterdale terriers due for re-homing from earlier this month. Now they would make an interesting pet for some people. Not a novice dog owner's ideal pet as they take some training and know their own mind. Typical terriers I reckon.

Hope pup gets healed. Of course if a wolf gets torn skin it has to carry on without a vet to stitch it up. It would just get up, lick wounds and carry on. Why is a dog any different. It doesn't know you can get it stitched up so it just gets on with its business. Also I think dogs heal better than us too. just like a dog can drink water from any source (including toilets) without getting ill and can eat all sorts too. We can't. Not sure what they have that stops them getting ill.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
well, she's a cross between a standard poodle and a whippet, we saw both bitch and dog and it was a large whippet ! she doesn't shed and looks very much like a large Bedlington.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
... removal of a swallowed a golf ball, ...

Reminds me of the one & only time I played boules. Our other dog, Bill,

DSCN4261.jpg

didn't bat an eyelid as we lobbed the jack down the field but leaped up and neatly caught the first cast iron boule that was thrown, chipping a tooth in the process. I was horrified watching it happen but it was just another game to her, the big daft ha'porth. Dogs, eh?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Lurchers can also hunt with scent. All lurchers can hunt sight and scent at different standards depending on their mix. They are more a type than a breed as such they are so very varied. That is also why lurchers often have more stamina than the speed machine sight hounds such as whippets, greys and thee fastest breed Saluki. BTW Salukis have been clocked at faster speeds than greys but they don't do the chasing the mechanical rabbit thing as well so never made good racing dogs. They are supposed to be more stubborn and know their own mind more than greys apparently.

Lurcher or JRT or Parsons terrier would be my doggy choice I reckon. Nearly got one but decided I couldn't take one on just yet but did a hell of a lot of research into them and other breeds before I made the decision.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
my last one, had her for 14 years, she was a Staffy / whippet cross, the vet called her a Lurcher as well ! strangest looking lurcher i'd ever seen !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE