puffin kayaks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
allo-ha.

well, as promised, i've just got back from a kayaking trip with hawthorn, yarrow and missy mycelium, and the puffins have pass with flying colours. they arent perfect, but they are pretty dam good.

i found them a bit hard on the lower back after about 90 min's, but it was more comfortable than the solid i hired this time last year. it was necessary to take a 10 min brake to get out and stretch. this might be a common thing with kayaks...

although we were only away for seven days, the puffins easily held food and my kit (very impressed with the exped tipi-tarp as well guys, worth a look) for 10 days (90% dehydrated), and 6L of water each day. the puffins were both near their max load but they still rode high in the water, which was confidence inspiring over the big water.

we covered alot of ground, did a few portages (so easy) and canoed in most weather, 32 then 16 deg C, head/side and tail winds. they rode over the waves comfortably and made crossing the bigger lakes fun!

the stability was very good, and getting in/out wasnt a problem, unlike last year...

the putting up/taking down time is getting shorter and easier, which is supprising.

in short, i'm impressed. i'd prefer a canadian if i was going out for an extended period (over 14 days i think), but with in its abilities i think its nigh on unbeatable. possibly one of the best buy so far.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Cool! I'm sold, it's just a amatter of time. Motorbike man, if you do get one could you let me know? I'd like to check it out if that would be alright? If I get one first I'll let you know and bring it down to Christchurch.

Spacemonkey said:
Cool! I'm sold, it's just a amatter of time. Motorbike man, if you do get one could you let me know? I'd like to check it out if that would be alright? If I get one first I'll let you know and bring it down to Christchurch.
That would be cool, I'll definately let you know. It would be good to see one in the flesh, especially with the bike there as well to measure up to, just to see if it is practical for me

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
hey guys.

we've got loads of pic's of the puffins and i'll try and get some on (sorry, tad shite with computers).

as for the bike thing, i'm also a biker (alas, bikeless at the moment) and although it might be to much for a sports bike, i'd not worry transporting one on something a bit larger - the paddles might be interesting, lol.

dunno if yous are anywhere near norwich, but i'll be there in the next few months (aug at latest) and u'd be more than welcome to come down and have a play.

R-J said:
hey guys.

we've got loads of pic's of the puffins and i'll try and get some on (sorry, tad shite with computers).

as for the bike thing, i'm also a biker (alas, bikeless at the moment) and although it might be to much for a sports bike, i'd not worry transporting one on something a bit larger - the paddles might be interesting, lol.

dunno if yous are anywhere near norwich, but i'll be there in the next few months (aug at latest) and u'd be more than welcome to come down and have a play.
Look forward to seeing the pic. I've got a 900 Diversion so hopefully I should be ok for transport, and I've seen collapsable paddles around as well so I shall have a look at those.

Unfortunately Norwich is a bit of a trek for me, but thanks for the offer :D

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
no worries, the offers there.

as for the 2 piece paddles, thats what i've got. they fold down to @ 3 1/2 ft, and while wouldnt be impossible to get on a bike, could be interesting... lol

i think it'd go on the back of a div', might take up the pillion and a back rack, but i think it would fit. its certainly what i'm thinking of doing. just got to get enough cash for a bike - i'm not holding my breath

Hawthorn

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2005
London
I have had a Puffin for a good few months now with a few decent outings (last one was down a river in the Ardennes, Luxembourg) and the Puffin is great. Can't beat the simplicity. 10kg is incredibly light. Stupidly light, in fact. Once the kit is out is no problem at all for one person to carry easily. Puts up in under 5 minutes, handles very well. The only irritation (which may apply to all kayaks) is not fantastic lower back support. The seat itself is comfortable on the mid-back and buttocks, but would advise putting a Camelbak or suchlike against your lower back which gives it better support. Thats over long distances mind. Short hops are no problem.

Big thumbs up for Puffins!

And its really fun going over bigger waves :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE