Protecting the blade of a hook-knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
My current silly question: How to protect the blade of my hook-knife so that it doesn't rip up my pack?

My only thought so far is to slip an old piece of hose pipe over it. Any better suggestions?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
palmnut said:
My current silly question: How to protect the blade of my hook-knife so that it doesn't rip up my pack?

My only thought so far is to slip an old piece of hose pipe over it. Any better suggestions?

I had the same question a few weeks ago and got some good replies, hold on two minutes and I will paste the thread in here for you.:)

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I've made a little leather case with a 12 bore cartridge case inside which the blade part fits into perfectly, to stop any damage during storage/carrying etc

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I could always suggest a leather pouch...
Actually I use a 5mm leather tube with wooden ends and I store a sheet of abrasive paper in there as well to tidy up finished spoons.
John

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
palmnut said:

I just split a piece of wood http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=190&cat=500&ppuser=1961 in half and cut a groove in both halves to match the shape of the knife and used a bit of dowel to join the two halves again. Not my idea, the scandinavian chappie leading the Woodlore Camp Craft course had one. Very quick to do.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
John Fenna said:
I could always suggest a leather pouch...
Actually I use a 5mm leather tube with wooden ends and I store a sheet of abrasive paper in there as well to tidy up finished spoons.
John
That sounds nice, do you have any photo's John.....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry - I am a total computer failure and can't upload pickies...
However it is simply an oblong of leather, sewn together along one side with a leather thong with a wooden plug glued in (pine resin, charcoal, bee's wax glue) and pinned as well with coppered pins. The lid is a shorter slightly wider version of the same, to fit over one end, with a leather hinge on the seam side. - very simple to make, very secure in use, very heavy for what it is and very bulky as well because I over engineer everything!
I have seen the same sort of thing made from birchbark and willow cord...
John

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I have settled for using a small chunk of Bracket fungus (Birch Polypore I think). I just insert the tip into the fungus and rotate it in. Not very fancy or pleasing to the eye but I have never had any problems with it ripping my rucksack.

It also has the added bonus as acting as a strop for my knives in the field including the hook knife.

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE