Projects this weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Just a quick 'what I did this weekend' :)
Finally got some quality shed time, so worked on a few projects I'd wanted to do. More to come, soon I hope.

f7813c0d76f01e4e002b2ee9015e0e6c_zps76610dba.jpg

First was the Lynxx stove. Attempt one did not go well. Put the two halves together before drilling the jet holes. Not a good idea, so ruined that one. This is attempt two, and it works well. Next time I'm going for more jets and see how that works

08b6c36e46a0237f50ed5942235c83e8_zps4526481e.jpg

Next a knife jig for stick tang knives. My first knife in there for an idea of how it works. A friend had need of one, so knocked two up. Don't have a use for mine just yet, but when my Dave Budd blade arrives :) :) :)
It's a bit of old teak for the assembly so it should hold up well.

600ea4a3c3450783592918a88aeaf7ba_zps99b2136b.jpg

I saw on here somewhere a leather compass and decided I needed one. Small Whitby pocket compass for not a lot and here we go. I made the vinegar, wire wool dye (cannot spell it sorry) so stained the edge black. Works really well.

a91295abec44f89d75ae040ac5fea9ce_zps4de765cd.jpg

Made a little leather pouch for some coins I have. Also decided to re-do the handle on the first full tang knife I made up. It's an old blade bought back when eBay allowed knives. However the handle I did at the time was, not good. A square brick so I never liked using the knife. However it was the first knife I'd made of this type and i did not want to mess with it either.
Well I finally decided it was time to try again. Handle is Zebrano with red fibre liners and brass Corby bolts. Copper lanyard tube. It's quite Woodie in style, and feels good in the hand now. Need to clean the blade up now
a7b8df4ed83e24b264884ed57cf9e400_zpsb2dc984b.jpg

Below is the sheath I made for this knife ages ago. Took a picture of the top so you can see how boxy it really was. Experience teaches a lot
3421c9418cd54edbf343dbbbab534b02_zpsd004be24.jpg

Thanks for looking. Thanks also for the inspiration. Lynxx stove is a thread on here. Should have read it closer, but we live and learn :).

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I have a similar knife jig, but yours is considerably more awesome in the sense that you can clamp down on the blade itself! Good thinking:)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I have a similar knife jig, but yours is considerably more awesome in the sense that you can clamp down on the blade itself! Good thinking:)

Wish I could claim credit. Seen it on the web so were and stuck in my head for future use. Handy to push the blade into the bolster to hold it all together. Used a sash clamp previously and just dug the blade in a block of wood to apply pressure. This should be safer on the blade.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have been a busy man :D :approve:
It's all good, and the learning process continues :cool:

thanks for the photos....and the inspiration :)

cheers,
Toddy

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thanks everyone. Just need the time and some inspiration then away we go :)
Mark Hill blade is next project.
Dave Budd blade for knife competition after that.
Want to smooth off some antler and then try scrim work.
Then make sheaths, just need to source some decent leather for that.
Any more ???
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE