Primitive arrow making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Been having fun today making one of these.
I used glass for the head, as last time I did any knapping I was low on flint, but I'm hoping to get some more practice in soon with a load of flint that was passed onto me.

More in the blog if you fancy a look-see http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/primitive-arrow-making.html

Looking forward to trying it out soon, and making more. I know the bow works well as I demolished a body board with some other wooden arrows I bought in :D

Edit - trying out the bow and other primitive weapons - http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/primitive-hunting-weapons-and-practice.html

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Top job on those points man! Coincidentally, I've been working on an atlatl today. Will post some pictures somewhere when that's done too.
Doing stuff the hard way is fun!:)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff fella, get it posted up when u get chance. Atlatls are great fun.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks Hamish. Just been letting it fly up the garden and it works a treat.
My nephew loves it and want me to make him a bow he can pull back more than a few inches.

Hi all,
just seen this post. Addo would it be possible for you to do a, how to make the glass arrow head. I would like to try my hand at knapping, but no flint in my area. I would like to try and make some. Not to use as I don't have a bow. But to be able to say, I made them would be great.
regards Chris.

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
Addo, I'm going to North Wood meet next weekend, not far from you, I can bring some flint from the banks of the Humber if you want some ?

Rev G

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Hi all,
just seen this post. Addo would it be possible for you to do a, how to make the glass arrow head. I would like to try my hand at knapping, but no flint in my area. I would like to try and make some. Not to use as I don't have a bow. But to be able to say, I made them would be great.
regards Chris.

How to's are always good but have you watched this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMN3BVISmQ

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi all,
regards Chris.

Niels's link is a good one, not seen that one before and it deals with some of the problems in a different way, very well
Heres the one I used, but the copper bopper is used rather than stones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=xh7pc2Q6XFI&feature=endscreen

Addo, I'm going to North Wood meet next weekend, not far from you, I can bring some flint from the banks of the Humber if you want some ?

Rev G

Thanks for the offer of the flint Rev, but I wont be able to make it to that meet. Shame too.

Awesome and inspiring! :D

Thanks, glad you like it :). I'm just making three more arrows and a few Atlatl darts in-between other jobs.

How to's are always good but have you watched this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMN3BVISmQ

I like it fella :) Looks a great point even though it was reduced in length.

Cheers all.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Looks great! Thanks for sharing that. I particularly like the arrow in the top of the picture of four. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very nice those, nice work.

If you want a cheap to make target that will be kind on those points just fill a carboard box full of clothes, old rags, sheets and the likes.
Stops arrows nice and slow. Wrapping the box with duct tape also helps it last a little longer.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks great! Thanks for sharing that. I particularly like the arrow in the top of the picture of four. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that

Cheers, I like those ones too, hoping to make a few more when I get chance. The Mrs wants one as jewellery. I'll have to abrade that one down a bit though :)

Very nice those, nice work.

If you want a cheap to make target that will be kind on those points just fill a carboard box full of clothes, old rags, sheets and the likes.
Stops arrows nice and slow. Wrapping the box with duct tape also helps it last a little longer.

Thanks fella, thats what this one was but it could do with being a tad bigger so that when I miss I dont hit the branches so often. Been looking into spine weights and draw length to tweak the kit. Its getting all technical now but I want to hit smaller targets from 20m eventually.

That's inspired me to have a pop great job

Great stuff, glad you fancy having a go.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
For a good reference on getting the right spine for an atlatl dart, get 6 feet 6 inches of 12mm pine dowel. With big fletches and a 1/2" war bodkin from Richard Head Longbows these are a pretty much standard design among the UK atlatl throwers that I know.

A good way to test a dart is to hold it horizontally by the tail and shake it six inches from side to side. The dart will whip back and forth. You want to see a crossover in the vibration pattern (a node of vibration) some way back from the point between six to twelve inches. If it is less that that then it will probably be too stiff.

The ultimate test is to throw it, but if your technique isnt good then you could mask the spine issues with other problems.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks David, I might make one with the dowel as you say and compare it to the hazel ones I've been gathering. I like the way the Paleoplanet chap on youtube places the point on a bathroom scale and bends the dart to get a "ball park" figure of just over 5lb which suits his size apparently.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE