Power banks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am very pleased with my Anker power bank - it will charge my iPhone 7 about 4 or 5 times. The model is Powercore 10400 but it's probably been superseded now.

On the other hand, the solar charger power bank I bought to take on canoe trips is useless. For one thing, it's not waterproof (which it claimed) and it would also take a week to charge up with UK weather. When I first got it it would charge the iPhone but now doesn't seem to have enough current to do so :( - it has no maker's name on it so I can't even warn you off that particular model!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I didn't pay attention in this, but so far I understood a solar charger that's usefull has to unfold along the complete length of a pretty big rucksack. May be my info is outdated though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am very pleased with my Anker power bank - it will charge my iPhone 7 about 4 or 5 times. The model is Powercore 10400 but it's probably been superseded now.

I'm a big fan of Anker stuff and their powerbanks are great value

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I didn't pay attention in this, but so far I understood a solar charger that's usefull has to unfold along the complete length of a pretty big rucksack. May be my info is outdated though.

I think you're about right. I've decided you have to take the quoted figures (charge rate, capacity, and output current) with a pinch of salt. The one I have opens out with four panels each measuring around 140 x 70mm.

Reactions: Erbswurst

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby

On the other hand, the solar charger power bank I bought to take on canoe trips is useless. For one thing, it's not waterproof (which it claimed) and it would also take a week to charge up with UK weather. When I first got it it would charge the iPhone but now doesn't seem to have enough current to do so :( - it has no maker's name on it so I can't even warn you off that particular model!
I’d second that on the Anker power bank, I get 4-5 charged out of mine for an iPhone.
It’s also compact & fairly light.
However, I don’t know the serial number.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Nitecore NB10000.
Lightest in the world, waterproof, quick charge and quick discharge. Not the cheapest but best there is on the market right now.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a few powerbanks kicking around and the best is, without doubt, the anker. Seems a bit odd that there would be much difference Ona pack of rechargeable batteries but it is noticeable for capacity/size/speed of charge.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Bought one of these Streetwize jumper packs as it suited my truck engine and had cables to charge and run stuff on it, unfortunately it's a massive waste of money at £120.
Trying to send it back but getting fobbed off, aparently it won't jimp start a 2.5 diesel with a flat battery although the blurb it comes with clearly says it will.

Attachments

• 20220116_113132.jpg
    20220116_113132.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 5

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Would avoid any of the brands/companies that were delisted from Amazon for buying fake reviews. (Aukey, Ravpower and few others)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
A bit bulky but I got myself a USB charging adapter for my cordless power tools, I haven’t tried it thoroughly yet but I think with a larger capacity battery it should work well.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Another vote for Anker. I’ve got a couple, both containing 18650 batteries. The larger one has 4 and is rated at 13,000 mAh (milli Amp hour). It’ll put a full charge with some spare on an iPad Pro. The smaller and more portable has 3 batteries in it and easily fully charges an iPhone a couple of times. mAh is the battery capacity, how much power it can contain and deliver, but try not to run them (Li-ion) fully flat, they don’t like it so go more rather than less if weight and size isn’t too much an issue.

If you’re only on an overnighter and not too demanding of what the phone is being used for, there is a smaller one containing 2 x 18650 cells.

The two I have are the Powercore 10,000 and 13,000. Most 18650 batteries are around 2500 to 3000 mAh so Anker aren’t too far off with their claims.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
No, they are not meant to be user replaceable.

There are a few brands that do have replaceable cells. Xtar PB2 series, TOMO have a couple, but tend to be low output (~10W 5v@2A).

Last edited:

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Another Anker fan. Been using mine for many years, both camping and traveling. Mine is 26800 mAh. Was thinking of upgrading since many devices are USB-C. Even saw a high capacity one that had USB, USB-C AND will let you plug in devices. But that bad boy was expensive!

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Wrong answer, sorry, but I just got a Nitecore LR60 lantern which has a pair of whomping 5000mAh 21700 batteries in it. Comes with adapters to put 18650s in if you want too.
My previous Nitecore lanterns have been very good, this one is a good balance of output, directional light and size but can also be used as the charger and as a powerbank.
Me likey.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A bit bulky but I got myself a USB charging adapter for my cordless power tools, I haven’t tried it thoroughly yet but I think with a larger capacity battery it should work well.

I hadn't thought about that :). A 5Ah 18v tool battery would provide 18,000mAh at 5v for charging USB devices - that should more than last a week's trekking!

I suppose they're not quite as useful a shape as the Anker power banks, and they're not exactly light.

Reactions: FerlasDave

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I’ve not done the maths, but that sounds like it will do the trick. :) We’ve had a few power banks over the years and they’ve all suffered in the cold and lose power after a couple of nights.

I guess not, but I’d rather carry something a bit bulkier that I know will give me power when I need it. Not like I really carry things too far these days anyway!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE