Poundland Glowsticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
I know they've been mentioned on here before, but I wanted to share a little knowledge. Bought a packet containing three at poundland, tested them last night, They provide a decent amount of light, and glow for over 10 hours. Recommended. I think it was these ones: http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/assorted-glowsticks/

They had them in packs containing either 2 or 3 in various colours. I got the yellow ones as yellow is most visible to the human eye.

I wondered whether the 2-packs might be brighter/longer lasting, but TBH the ones in the 3-packs will do fine. Like I said, I cracked them at 10PM, they lit the house up nicely and are still glowing 10 hours later, albeit dimmer.

Would do great for keeping some light around the camp at night, or for making yourself more visible for rescuers.

They also have a little plastic hook on the end which makes it super easy to attach to cordage.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
At my local poundland there used to be 3 in a pack; last time I went in there were only 2. I assumed this was their way of adjusting the 'price'

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
At my local poundland there used to be 3 in a pack; last time I went in there were only 2. I assumed this was their way of adjusting the 'price'
Worth checking again, my local has both so it might just be matter of whatever they can get they'll stock.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Just had a thought with regard to getting rescued.

If you're on the move, leaving glowsticks behind you every 12 hours might be a good way to help get rescued? Obviously the light source will attract the attention of people searching for you which is good, but also they can tell how recently you were there by how much it's glowing. If it's bright then you're likely only a few hours away, if it's dim then ~12 hours etc.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Just had a thought with regard to getting rescued.

If you're on the move, leaving glowsticks behind you every 12 hours might be a good way to help get rescued? Obviously the light source will attract the attention of people searching for you which is good, but also they can tell how recently you were there by how much it's glowing. If it's bright then you're likely only a few hours away, if it's dim then ~12 hours etc.

But how often in the UK are you going to be moving to attempt self rescue for a significant time? I would think there would be more risk of improper use and leaving a trail of plastic rubbish behind you is not a particularly "leave no trace" approach to your outdoor experience! For expedition use are you really going to be carrying a bunch of glowsticks just in case; I doubt that the gramme counters will be. The brightness that would be heavily dependent on brand and type; the 10/30min ultra high intensity I had in my trauma kit would be dim in an hour to the same level as a 12 hour one after 24 and once they are out of their wrapper and "dead" it is difficult to tell them apart.

I can see your logic but think it really is "last ditch".

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
If it is campsite markers that you want rather than working light etc then the then bracelet/wands that you can buy on evilbay are adequate in my experience and will last through an evening normally. because they are nice and thin we have used them on campsites to push in by the pegs of guylines close to paths.

You do need a suitable container to carry them so that they do not get triggered prematurely, 100 in their cardboard tube is surprisingly heavy!

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I used to used these for diving but but it was tricky to get what i was after- red and green ones ( port ans starboard) to tape to my cylinder- I happened to be at SoF the other day and they had a load of of Glo-toobs on sale for a fiver a pop down from 15 quid, I've got a red and green one so I'm happy- they have had some good reviews from diving buddies of mine, but I wasn't going to drop 30 quid on a pair but for a tenner for 2... well why not!

if you're in the area might be worth taking a look- they had red, green, blue and amber on the stand on Friday

30 hours on a battery, and isn't a one shot deal once lit

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
To be fair, what do you want for a quid? Handy for an emergency, and their cheap enough to put some in a FAK or emergency car kit. I've got some in the car snow kit, and I can't complain about the quality or the price, and their certainly not heavy or bulky.

Their also useful for entertaining the kids...mine had hours of fun pretending to be explorers.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i get a tenners worth at a time from poundland my son loves to mess about with them when camping and they make a good light source to check on things in the tent at night rather than switching on an led light

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE