Possible Sites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

marcja

Hello all, only me, sorry I don't get a chance to post so often these days. Allthough I'm always in the background taking an interest in others informative posts, debates and all the rest that goes on on this site!

I've come across two new 'possible' sites in South/Mid Wales for anyone that may be interested. They'll both cater for small to medium sized groupes just as happily as they would for individuals. I plan on using both sites in the coming weeks and will provdde more feedback on each after my visits.

The first is Glyn Y Mul farm in Aberdulais, following is a link to the website together with an extract from an email I recentlt received from them.

My enquiry:

Hi there,
Just come across the description of your camp site on a travel site, and am hoping it’s the type of place I’m always on the lookout for! I’m looking to go away for a day or two in a few weeks with my daughter (her first time!). However I am very much a ‘wild’ camper and so enjoy the thought of being able to sit around an open fire at the end of the day but at the same time I need to consider my daughter (due to her age) i.e. washing/wc facilities etc. The description on your site seems to suggest the best of both worlds. Sometimes the dog even comes with me, and you don’t charge for them which is a bonus! However, the burning question is that while your site sounds ideal to me, do you allow a nice little fire, maybe not directly on your site but in the surrounding woodland (which is where I am more likely to set up camp anyway.

And their response:

Marc
It’s always difficult to answer these types of enquiries because whatever I say or write, your interpretation might be different to mine.It’s necessary to point out that the woodland is away from the main camping field and facilities. By ‘away’ I mean a distance of about 300 metres. The closest you would get a car is about 200 metres from the woodland so you’d be carrying anything you’d bring with you for some distance. Most woodland campers come for the ‘Ray Mears’ effect and are happy to ‘**** in a pit’ etc but I’m assuming with a young daughter that might not he appropriate.

I honestly think the main field would be more appropriate and we are happy for people to have small camp fires in braziers which I provide. They are simply beer barrels but in half stood on 2 house brinks but they work very well.

I see you look as if you are based in Cardiff. It’s a shame you couldn’t drive up one afternoon for a ‘reccy’.

I’m sure I could cater for your needs but feel free to give me a call sometime and discuss the position.
Ian
www.glynymulfarm.co.uk

The other is Cwmnanthir, there's a bit of a description by here http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/brecon_beacons_campsite_camping.html: -

And the response to the same enquiry: -
Thanks for your enquiry about our camp site. I'm afraid we only took over a couple of months ago so I have not got as far as a leaflet yet but you can find photos by typing Cwmnanthir into google and just above the box you type in, click on images. The site www.multimap.comis great for finding us (use our postcode SA10 9LU and we are the furthest house off the lane from intervalley road) you can even click on aerial to see an aerial photo. I'm afraid we have not yet reached a point where we have meat to sell (but ask again next year!).

We have an small kitchen for your use (the left hand door when looking at the front of the house) and the small building opposite is a toilet. We use the field to the right of the barn and duck pond for camping. Could you please park cars in front of the barn. Bonfires can be lit in the big field (it is obvious where) help yourself to firewood from the woods.

Just to warn you we have recently got two 16week old great dane puppies, very friendly but I would advise keeping the camp site gate and car doors shut as they are prone to chewing shoes.

directions;

From the A465 (heads of the valley road). Leave this road at Glyn Neath (1/2 way between Merthyr and Neath) turn onto the A4109 in the direction of Onllwyn (signs for Dan-yr-Ogof caves) and go straight on at lights on to the A4109. Follow this road up hill for approx 2 miles and then after another mile you will come into a 40 limit where there are a couple of bungalows (bricked up static caravans). Turn right into a small lane with rusty iron fence and weak bridge signs- the only right turn. Follow this road all the way to the end. It is over a mile and quite twisty in place. Eventually you will come to a gate across the road with the name of the property on.

If you require any provisions let us know or there are a number of pubs serving food in the area.
At the moment we are not fully booked at any time. We usually do not accept more than 20 people. We charge £5 per person per night.

If anyone decides to go there before me let us know what you find.

Marc

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Glyn Y Mul farm sounds accomodating - please do post a review if you do get there as I'm looking for somewhere to take my wife where she won't be too far from a shower and 'proper' toilet ( there's a list of Official SWMBO's Requirements Which Must be Filled or I'm Not Going which includes forest and water so this place seems to fit the bill perfectly), but where we practice our campcraft and bushcraft together in peace.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE