Polski Lavvu Tent Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you angled the legs on the "goalpost" you could maximise the space within. Would make it heavier but I think we've established that isn't an issue here :)

Great mod anyway, makes for a sturdy little tent

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you angled the legs on the "goalpost" you could maximise the space within. Would make it heavier but I think we've established that isn't an issue here :)

I thought about A-frames but couldn't find any at a sensible price in alu and didn't want to double the weight with steel ones. Whilst the tent isn't a backpacker, keeping the weight down is still an issue to some extent. I would certainly prefer an A-frame pole set-up as it does maximise the available space. It also makes pitching much easier and increases stability.

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You would increase the weight of each vertical pole by about 15%, not a great deal in the grand scheme of things. I use old poles in mine from tents long since gone. Need to shorten mine slightly, as it happens

Ah, just reread your post - I wasn't advocating adding extra poles, just making the bottom of the goalpost wider than the top - a trapezoid rather than a rectangle

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
... just making the bottom of the goalpost wider than the top - a trapezoid rather than a rectangle

It occurred to me that that might be what you meant, but I haven't given that option much consideration; it doesn't look quite right in my mind's eye just yet.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I really like that. I hated my one so much that i covered a bike over winter in it. The lighter canvas centre solves BOTH major issues I had, size and the pitch black darkness even at midday!. It seems to me that you could configure the centre section to act as a porch kinda like a baker tent. That is something I may have to try. Polish Lavvu revisited, only I will have to buy a new one as part of mine rotted and the good bits have been upcycled into bags as the canvass is too good to waste!

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It seems to me that you could configure the centre section to act as a porch kinda like a baker tent. !

Something like this, perhaps?

TF4ext_addons_zps8e9dd204.jpg

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
The tent you made for me Ian is just ace thanks for making it just how i wanted it, It work very well :) and sinse the trip ther are no inporvements i can make to the well fhought out design, now most of the team use them because thay work so well.D PIX.jpg

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Very nice work. I used to have one of these and found it very cramped inside. I never even thought about piecing the two halves to make it longer.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One of the complaints about the Polish Lavvu tents is that there isn't much room in them. I would concur; at 6'6" I could not stretch out comfortably in mine without touching the canopy at some point. One way of increasing the available space is to set the two shelter-halves a little apart and cover the gap with a tarp. I was asked earlier in the year if I could make a more permanent job of such a set-up. This is what I have done ...

ends_middle_zps102039ac.jpg

I set up a goalpost arrangement between the two halves;

Ends_poling_zpsf5ab29e9.jpg

and rigged a canopy over the ridge and joined it to the halves with zips on one side and Dutch lacing;

one_side_dutchlacing_zpsbd245581.jpg

Practical use will decide which is the better option.
The ridge pole is accomodated in a velcro-ed sleeve which keeps the canopy in place if one (or both) sides are poled up;

Velcro_ridge_sleeve_zps4acc87c6.jpg

The light coloured canvas was used intentionally to admit light to the tent interior when the tent is closed up.

I will be posting more pics later.

Thats a great mod Ian, better perhaps with an 'A' frame rather than uprights?

I can see the attraction of the basic setup but at the same time I believe we are asking a lot from two ponchos.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE