Pocket FAK (ouch pouch)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I have a FAK for the rucksack and a bigger one for holidays, etc.

However there are times when these are not with me or to hand. It was suggested long ago that if you carry a knife you should carry a cuts kit in your pocket so you are never without. To that end I tried to put one together.

I struggled to find a small pocket size pouch and ended up with a very cheap thing from eBay (smallest I could find). Then set to thinking of things I would need when sat carving having a brew, etc.

Have I gone over the top or what am I missing???

811516ca0343a90e99de343b13b27a66_zps8301b7f4.jpg

Sporks just for size :)
88f353a61a39b7ad5b028319b8a53157_zpsd4d5b3e3.jpg

Small pouch
Inner zip lock bag
Small bandage for holding gauze
Alco wipes
Ibuprofen
Micro pore tape
Gauze
Scissors
Tweezers
Assorted plasters, Elastoplast finger plasters as well as they are the best I've found for me
Steripod for flushing cuts etc.
Superglue - used a few times on cuts when the skin opens. Works well for me but not for everyone

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Not sure Karim could have applied his own field dressing in that location. Gauze and lots of tape would be best you could fashion. Need a mirror if I'm trying to stitch myself from behind :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Steristrips work well for me and take up almost no room.
Or if you know how to do it a suture kit.
Good little cut kit though.
Simon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't use superglue, please, pretty please.

Pair of nitrile gloves in my back pocket always, when camping I only base camp now so have access to a fuller kit but did carry a smaller one when still hiking with some basic dressings, steristrips, plasters and no superglue in a little ziplock bag. Any meds kept separate.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Don't use superglue, please, pretty please.

Pair of nitrile gloves in my back pocket always, when camping I only base camp now so have access to a fuller kit but did carry a smaller one when still hiking with some basic dressings, steristrips, plasters and no superglue in a little ziplock bag. Any meds kept separate.

"Research has demonstrated the use of cyanoacrylate in wound closure as being safer and more functional than traditional suturing (stitches). The adhesive has demonstrated superior performance in the time required to close a wound, incidence of infection (suture canals through the skin's epidermal, dermal, and subcutaneous fat layers introduce extra routes of contamination), and final cosmetic appearance."

I know its not ideal and can lead to skin irritation (not had any personally). However with the sharp knives I use its not unknown to pick up clean splits in the skin that can open on flexing the hand. Rather than cut the flap of skin or leave it open, I have used a dab to keep the cut closed.
Let me know your objections as I'm really interested and don't want to do myself misleading harm. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've never been a big fan of gloves. We have them at work and I will wear them at times if needed. My thoughts on the cuts kit are that it's for personal use and is mainly going to be hands or the odd thorn scrape, etc.
That's also why I did not bother with the face mask suggested above also. Difficult to get a proper mouth to mouth seal with them and the latest info says not to bother with breaths now.

Thanks for all the input all :)

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
The quote you are using, which is from Wikipedia, is in the section for Dermabond which is 2-Octyl cyanoacrylate, Super glue is a different Ester that can do more harm than good. But the main reson not to use Glue or Sutures in the field is that they are not first aid, they are a treatment, you risk sealing in potentially very harmful bacteria. No gloves and one small Steripod are not enough to prep a wound for closure especially in the field. You risk turning a minor ouch into something very serious indeed.

Latest info doesn't say don't bother with breaths either (For people who know how to do CPR)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
My latest CPR training stated that if you are on your own, then chest compressions are far more effective on their own than attempting breaths. The loss in time swapping from one action to the other looses precious time and your expelled air has too low an oxygen concentration to be effective. If you have a mask and bag, preferably hooked up to oxygen then its of use. However any technique is better than none, so do what your comfortable with, if its this months version or not (we get the training annually, and I swear it changes every year). My comment was I don't like pocket shields as they don't provide a good seal for me. A pocket mask would be better (still not keen) but way too big for a cuts kit.

As for the superglue thing, thanks. It's good to hear the reasons why. Just for a rubbish attempt at a reprieve, I've never used it to close an open deep cut. Just skin flaps (rubbish description but best I can come up with). Think paper cut between thumb and index finger. It's a pain to put a plaster on as it does not hold or seal well. I have dabbed a spot of glue before to hold it closed. However I will think twice, thanks.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"Research has demonstrated the use of cyanoacrylate in wound closure as being safer and more functional than traditional suturing (stitches). The adhesive has demonstrated superior performance in the time required to close a wound, incidence of infection (suture canals through the skin's epidermal, dermal, and subcutaneous fat layers introduce extra routes of contamination), and final cosmetic appearance."

I know its not ideal and can lead to skin irritation (not had any personally). However with the sharp knives I use its not unknown to pick up clean splits in the skin that can open on flexing the hand. Rather than cut the flap of skin or leave it open, I have used a dab to keep the cut closed.
Let me know your objections as I'm really interested and don't want to do myself misleading harm. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've never been a big fan of gloves. We have them at work and I will wear them at times if needed. My thoughts on the cuts kit are that it's for personal use and is mainly going to be hands or the odd thorn scrape, etc.
That's also why I did not bother with the face mask suggested above also. Difficult to get a proper mouth to mouth seal with them and the latest info says not to bother with breaths now.

Thanks for all the input all :)

The superglue in your kit is not medical grade glue which is different. The glue you have can generate heat which will damage tissue and harm the healing process. Stick to steristrips and or direct pressure and don't rely on Wiki as a source. When I was nursing Dermabond was only used on certain wounds on certain parts of the body. Its not good practise and has been discussed here in depth in the past.

The rest of your kit looks OK.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
The superglue in your kit is not medical grade glue which is different. The glue you have can generate heat which will damage tissue and harm the healing process. Stick to steristrips and or direct pressure and don't rely on Wiki as a source. When I was nursing Dermabond was only used on certain wounds on certain parts of the body. Its not good practise and has been discussed here in depth in the past.

The rest of your kit looks OK.

Big thanks for that. I know it's sad, but i like to know why. Good argument well put and I know totally understand and will be sticking with plasters, and tape if in a difficult place. Will keep it for sealing antler only :)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Good thinking going on in this thread!
Saves me a lot of trouble, trial & error when I am putting one together, too. The one I have is more like a large field first aid-kit and a bit too bulky to keep on me at all times.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
My latest CPR training stated that if you are on your own, then chest compressions are far more effective on their own than attempting breaths. The loss in time swapping from one action to the other looses precious time and your expelled air has too low an oxygen concentration to be effective. If you have a mask and bag, preferably hooked up to oxygen then its of use. However any technique is better than none, so do what your comfortable with, if its this months version or not (we get the training annually, and I swear it changes every year). My comment was I don't like pocket shields as they don't provide a good seal for me. A pocket mask would be better (still not keen) but way too big for a cuts kit.

Not suggesting you go away from your training but that was only introduced into the EU and UK resus council recommendations for a couple of years and was revised again in 2010 where breaths were re-introduced along with emphasis on high quality faster and deeper compressions. It's also the case with the British and American heart foundations. Hands only CPR well CCR really is only recommended for lay bystanders and those unable or unwilling to give rescue breaths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE