poaching Quince

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They are a very versatile fruit I think you'll both be pleased.

So readers here can have an idea of what quinze cheese looks like here is a pic of some quince cheese embedded in honeycake,

PC160112.JPG

Hmm that looks scrumptious. I like quince cheese on a cheese board. Really good with strong cheeses as though the perfume is gentle it doesn't get overpowered. Really like it with Stilton and if you can get some figs into the game and a glass of port or sherry them well, lets just say that there's not much more fun a chap can have.
A wee selection of things like quince cheese, rowan and or blackcurrent jelly really make a differance to so many foods. Someone was talking of rosehip syrup elsewhere yesterday. It's another favourite, makes great cordial, great for sore throats and the best thing ever on brownbread icecream.... I'm off for a wee lie down after thinking of that lot.
Didn't know about the storing of quince on shelves 'round the kitchen. Like that idea, must make the house smell like heaven. :)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't have 'real' quinces, but the Japonica one grows well around here.
I pick them and put them in wooden bowls. The scent gently permeats the whole house :D and it's lovely. It's nothing like the horrid so-called air fresheners. It's like pine at Christmas, or jam in September, lavender and roses in Summer, it's just very real and fresh and right somehow.

M

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Man, that looks and sounds all so delicious!!

I so do miss the fruitsjams, gelées and fruitpies from the place I once called home...
Which is the place you roam, Mors!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Ah! the foibles of the English language.
One poaches game and fish (or eggs ;)) but scrump fruit. (go scrumping)
I thought it was another way to prep Quince for the table.
As Mors' first language is likely not English, then the wording is understandable. To answer your question though.... because it makes a very tasty preserve or accompaniment to other dishes :lmao:
I'd go scrumping for some if there were any round here ;)

P.S. found a forgotten Pear tree where I am working today and picked a few to taste later, there are enough to think about making some pear wine or cider.

Rob.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh the joys of English, there is no such thing as "pear cider" :). Fermented pear juice is "Perry" ;)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
thanks you so much for the really nice comments! so cool that so much people are enthusiastic and such nice contributions to this simple post.
My first language is Dutch (Hollands to be exactly), second and English third German.
I even upgraded my English vocabulairy: Scrumping! nice word too

Very delighted that people are even buying new trees. It are folks like you lots that make a green and bushcraft future!

He RonW thank you, The countryside of South Limburg is quite nice. Originally I am from Holland, but that is no place for a bushcrafter :) :) When I want more space I go walking in the Nord Eifell region or Hautes de Fagnes. But...Sweden shall be far more superiour to outdoor life! I am quite a lonely Tony here, hardly anybody involved in the Bushcraft way of life. Sweden's small vilages should be still rich in bushcraft culture. Keep well! alle beste.

Maurice

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like perry :) I think I prefer it to wine or cider tbh.

M

Done well it is sublime. But in the way that the great ciders need cider apples, the very best perrys need perry pears - which, until recently, were pretty much gone commercially.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
hoi Maurice.
do as Toddy suggested. Pay that Dutch group a visit. There are many more where you wander.
As for bushcraft knowledge in Swedish villages; from what I learned that must be the older generations. Most can't even light a fire with a bottle of flammable liquid and a box of matches without a huge *POOF*, hoping that'll be enough to light the tree underneath.:rolleyes:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Ahhh the joys of English, there is no such thing as "pear cider" :). Fermented pear juice is "Perry" ;)

Kind of had that word in the back of my mind, it was referenced in a Readers digest book "Know Your Law" that my Dad had where it was (at that time) legal for 14 yr olds to drink Perry in a restaurant.
Heck by that age I was supping pints as according to my old man "if you're old enough to do a man's work you're old enough to drink" but he did limit me to two...as he was paying:lmao:
So Perry it may well be.
Rob.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I love perry too.

(getting back into popularity)

I saw some quinces in the greengrocers today; think I will be going back

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
thanks RonW, I am Mors/Maurice on Bushcraft NL (quite some years), but also really like it here (more)
visited the UK (Lake district) several times, Scotland dozens (NW Isles! and N of Scotland) of times, always had crap feeling when I was back on Dutch ground, cars, cities, lights, high pace and intensive farming all around...
anyway I am losing my own Thread :)
keep well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE