Please help to protect swedish nature!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I was just reading in our local newspaper that an organisation to protect a very old swedish forest need some help. The organisation is going to buy a big piece of very old forest to protect it from being cut down. The organisations idea was to find a sponsor who pays for the forest if enough people show their interest by clicking on a webpage. They collected now 500 000 but need another 300 000. If they dont get enough people until the end of june they miss the chance to buy the forest and the forest gets sold to the paper industry cutting it down. If you want to help read the webpage and do you clicking each day. It doesnt cost you any money only a click a day for the forest.

http://www.ettklickforskogen.se/engelska/ettKlickeng.asp

Please check out the page and read!

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
BorderReiver said:
I'm shocked.I really thought that you b~ggers up north had more sense than to mess up your beautiful country. :eek:

Clicking furiously :p

you would be shocked mate, if you would know all what is going on.
We have several lakes here where the fishes are deformed through some poision we dont know where its coming from. They think it has to do with the forest industry messing it up. The paper industry is a big thing here and its quite often that you see today a wonderfull forest and the next day everythig is gone and the ground looks like after WW2. Where I am living we have a lot of mining going on and now the canadians got the right to search for uran here. Whole areas can go down the drain for that stuff too. If you talk to the people living here a lot are happy about it, they say: "The jobs are good, we cant eat trees" Its the same poo as in the amazon. But I have to say that the companies planning trees too. Now in the summer we will plan several millions of trees in my destrict. But it will need 100 years before the are really big and then they are cut down again for the use of paper. :(

cheers
Abbe

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Abbe Osram said:
you would be shocked mate, if you would know all what is going on.
We have several lakes here where the fishes are deformed through some poision we dont know where its coming from. They think it has to do with the forest industry messing it up. The paper industry is a big thing here and its quite often that you see today a wonderfull forest and the next day everythig is gone and the ground looks like after WW2. Where I am living we have a lot of mining going on and now the canadians got the right to search for uran here. Whole areas can go down the drain for that stuff too. If you talk to the people living here a lot are happy about it, they say: "The jobs are good, we cant eat trees" Its the same poo as in the amazon. But I have to say that the companies planning trees too. Now in the summer we will plan several millions of trees in my destrict. But it will need 100 years before the are really big and then they are cut down again for the use of paper. :(

cheers
Abbe

Well Abbe I'm really sad to hear that.I really did think the Swedes had more sense. :(

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
BorderReiver said:
Well Abbe I'm really sad to hear that.I really did think the Swedes had more sense. :(
Once upon a time, some Swedes did get born who had sense, and once they had a great idea: they all went on a walk together and made a new country, and it was called Norway :D :D I'm joking! (Abbe and Viking will kill me now! :eek: ).
Seriously speaking, it's quite a problem. A lot of Sweden has not a lot of people living in it so the big companies can go in without almost any opposition at all, much like they are doing in the Amazon. The Sami are also treated very badly, there are issues about hunting licences that say that only non-Sami may hunt (thus almost denying Sami their food!), and there is a legal wrangle that still goes on. Part of the problem in Sweden is lack of publicity - people just don't know what's going on, and in a country with such a high standard of living and a good reputation people tend to assume all is right with it. With no publicity there is no-one to stop these things going ahead.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Abbe Osram said:
Hi Guys,
I was just reading in our local newspaper that an organisation to protect a very old swedish forest need some help. The organisation is going to buy a big piece of very old forest to protect it from being cut down. The organisations idea was to find a sponsor who pays for the forest if enough people show their interest by clicking on a webpage. They collected now 500 000 but need another 300 000. If they dont get enough people until the end of june they miss the chance to buy the forest and the forest gets sold to the paper industry cutting it down. If you want to help read the webpage and do you clicking each day. It doesnt cost you any money only a click a day for the forest.

http://www.ettklickforskogen.se/engelska/ettKlickeng.asp

Please check out the page and read!

cheers
Abbe

I made it my starting page and every time when I return "home" it's possible to make a new "click" :D ... don't know if their systems accepts this as a "new" click, could be IP adress related ...
Might be of some help ;) ;)

EDIT: just found out it doesn't help, using the "Home" button ... :(

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
*click*

It's sad but true what my fellow Swedes are telling you about. Respect for the forest is rapidly going away and our environmental laws are a complete joke, in many times it may even be profitable for a company to dump waste out, pay the fines and say "oops, we're sorry, our bad".

But companies and pollution is just the tip of the iceberg really. The main issue as i see it is peoples awareness. Our national pride as shown through the "Allemansrätten" is quickly disappearing. As more and more people are being brought up in urban areas instead of rural habitats, the old skills are growing thinner and thinner with each generation and this is evident in some quite odd ways.

A good friend of mine works at a day-care center here in Borås (fairly small town, 100k residents, east of Gothenburg) and she tells me there is a very noticable distinction between today and say 10 years back. Today they are having problems with 5-6 year olds who have never played in anything but flattened sandboxes, mowed lawns and concrete. So when they go on an excursion, the kids trip over all the time, they just can't navigate rough terrain (or even a normal forest-path). IF they ever go out in the forest at all, it's usually on well-lit, paved roads (elljusspår for you Swedes ;) used by runners and other people exercising. They never exit the beaten track and nor does their parents anymore.

Next it's evident in the general attitude with teens. Today there is a extreme competition for teens time both inside and outside school. You have sports, computer games, social gatherings, etc. and parents seem to more and more dump their bringing up onto other parties such as day-care, kindergarden, school, etc. This means that the window for parents to teach their kids "the old ways" as we so aptly mention it, how to be in the forest and care for it, is growing smaller and smaller. Combine this with both parents working a career and you have a scenario where the kids come hom after school, tired, the parents come home after work, tired. And everyone ends up infront of the TV and/or the kids go up to play with the computer/videogame/tv or heads out to town to meet the gang. Is there really any wonder so few kids venture out in the forests? Is it any wonder these kids grow up and become adults themselves who have never ever learnt to appreciate the wonderful gift we have in our nature? Is it then any wonder we are quickly seeing a dwindling environment with a few rapidly dwindling voices crying out in panic (Usually called "tree-huggers" by the general population).

The lack of any form of interest for the nature is a product of first and foremost a subtle but very important change in how we bring up our kids today. If parents do take the kids out to appreciate nature in the way we all here do and love, the kids do learn a respect for it. If they sit in the sofa complaining about "those damn treehuggers" and chucks beercans/burner-fuel down the ditch at the next barbecue, what will the kids learn?

I seriously feel that we might loose the Allmansrätt in the not too distant future if nothing is done.

And people probably won't miss it until it is gone =(

Sorry for the long post but i always get into rant-mode in the morning. Time to hike down to work =)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
arctic hobo said:
Once upon a time, some Swedes did get born who had sense, and once they had a great idea: they all went on a walk together and made a new country, and it was called Norway :D :D I'm joking! (Abbe and Viking will kill me now! :eek: ).

Not long ago Norway was a part of Sweden, but then we have also had Finland, a piece of Germany and a colony in America. Those were the days :)

Since people take up the bad things I can say some that are good. We have like pre school for kids (Mulle) that are in the age of 4-5 years old. There is also special kindergarten were the kids are always out and often go out in the forest to learn more about it.

We have lots of a kind of national parks were the forest has been able to grow on their own and nothing has been touched there for many years. On places like this you can find tree´s that are several 100 years old and in these places there are animals and plants that would not survive without these forests.

The all mans right will probably never dissapear it´s a too big part of the us Swedes and there are many people working to keep it and to make sure we have lots of forests left.

All people have to do is to respect this right or privilege that we have and follow the one simple rule "Do not disturb and do not destroy"

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Viking said:
All people have to do is to respect this right or privilege that we have and follow the one simple rule "Do not disturb and do not destroy"

Spot on! Or as they say, leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures. (Diving equivalent is "Leave nothing but bubbles, take nothing but pictures" =)

Though re. allemansrätten allthough i do not think we are in any immediate harm of it disappearing, if it would be abused and people loose interest with it then it will disappear. This will take several generations still and as you pointed out there are a lot of hope still. And a good thing is that we DO have a very long and solid tradition of bushcraft and nature preservation in this country.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Viking said:
Not long ago Norway was a part of Sweden, but then we have also had Finland, a piece of Germany and a colony in America. Those were the days :)
D'oh! Knew you'd bring that up! :D
Don't get me wrong by the way, the attitude to nature seems to be a whole lot better than anywhere else I've been - especially here in the UK. You people seem to feel that nature is there to be in, in the UK people seem to think that nature is there for that weird guy in the pub who nobody talks to. :(

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
arctic hobo said:
D'oh! Knew you'd bring that up! :D
Don't get me wrong by the way, the attitude to nature seems to be a whole lot better than anywhere else I've been - especially here in the UK. You people seem to feel that nature is there to be in, in the UK people seem to think that nature is there for that weird guy in the pub who nobody talks to. :(

I think most of it comes from that many of us live out in the countryside, even people that has a flat in the city often has a small house on the countryside or rent one during the summers. But there are not long ago when most of our population was farmers or worked on a farm. But much has been lost because of the industries in sweden. Now people live in a big city and works in a office or a big factory.
But there are still many small farms left and there are even people doing everything the old ways. I still remember when I was a kid and the old farmer came with horse and wagon in to the village (and I am not so very old).

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
wake up.go pee, shower,and shave.Go down stairs.drink tea. click.nice to have a daily routine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE