Plants for a Future Database in trouble?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Sorry for posting & apologies if references to other forums are a no-no here but this is an important message that I really want people to hear.

I don't know how many other people are aware of this but the Plants for a Future Database appears to be in serious difficulties. I'd noticed that it's been on and offline intermittently over the last few days and reading Downsizer I note that there are some serious concerns being raised about losing this very valuable resource altogether.

If you've ever used it you'll know what a massively important piece of research it has been and how imperative it is that we don't just lose it for lack of funds or support.

If you can spare a moment and want to help, please go over to Downsizer for more info.

For those who have no idea what on earth I'm on about, the pfaf website is a comprehensive resource listing details of plants that have a use, be it medicinal, culinary or other (for example dyestuffs). It is a truly valuable resource and one that I refer to constantly for the depth of information it supplies on wild and cultivated plants and their uses and was based on the principle of Forest Gardening where every plant element within a managed ecosystem had a use.

If it dissapears from the web it will be a huge loss & I wanted people to be aware of it. :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No problems bringing this up, Chickenofthewoods, if pfaf is in trouble and we as individuals can help, then it certainly ought to be more widely discussed and thank you for bringing the issue to our attention,

Pfaf is an incredibly useful resource, full of fascinating detail on useful plants.

cheers,
Toddy

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
This is a real pity, Plants for a Future is an amazingly useful site, it would be orful if it went down for good.

I've just tried looking at it but it seems to be off line at the moment, I hope it comes back on so I can make a donation.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Sorry Toddy, yeah I know the pfaf link. Thanks though I should have been clearer.

"If you can spare a moment and want to help, please go over to Downsizer for more info"

Where on Downsizer can we find more info on how to help?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I couldn't get onto BCUK for a couple of days. Hope is all ok here too.....????

I am real sorry to hear that PFAF is having problems. I did not know, so thank you Mrs Chicken for letting us know... I think the site is a great resource and I would hate to lose it. It is THE no 1 site I go to, to check for edibility ratings on certain plants, though I do cross reference of course...
How can we help...?

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Sorry folks! I was in a real rush when I posted (had to be at an appointment) & intended to get back online with the link but then BCUK seemed to be down too so all my great plans went to pot.

Thanks Toddy, & thanks for posting that link for me Indoorsout. I'm not sure what's happening now to be honest. The guys over at Downsizer seemed to have some good ideas but I'm unsure how far they've got with them. I'll do some Pm-ing and see what I can find out.

In the meantime, it is still possible to access a searchable but slightly more basic version of the pfaf site via ibiblio:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html

If you've never come across it before I highly recommend it.

Jonny, I know exactly what you mean & one of the reasons I like it so much is that is has a comprehensive bibliography for all its sources so if I want to check their references I know where to look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE