Plant ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I have what i think is Comfrey growing in my garden, and was wondering if anyone could confirm it from the photo please
COMFREY.jpg

second question,assuming it is comfrey is that i would like to try and make a lotion for treating bruises etc from it , has anyone any experience
making it

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
White comfry symphytum orientale

Still has the same medical properties as a regular comfry. You shouldn't eat it though, as some sources say it can be used as a food, but they are out of date. Comfry contains substances that produces changes inthe liver and eventualy cancer if consumed regulary. The slimy stuff from the root and the stems is very good at healing skin problems quickly (the carcenogens are not absorbed through the skin).

What I do with for eczema is dug up a small amount of the root wash and then freeze it. Scrape off a small amount when needed and then rub the bits on effected area.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
White comfry symphytum orientale

Still has the same medical properties as a regular comfry. You shouldn't eat it though, as some sources say it can be used as a food, but they are out of date. Comfry contains substances that produces changes inthe liver and eventualy cancer if consumed regulary. The slimy stuff from the root and the stems is very good at healing skin problems quickly (the carcenogens are not absorbed through the skin).

What I do with for eczema is dug up a small amount of the root wash and then freeze it. Scrape off a small amount when needed and then rub the bits on effected area.

Thanks for that i will try freezing the root, I have a herbal book which says to fill a dark jar with the leaves and store for a while have you any experience of this?

Elendeor

Jan 12, 2008
Bath
Im not sure about using the leaves in the dark pot. I know for sure that this is used to make a very good (and rather smelly) plant food. I also thought that it was the roots of the compfry that you use.

xylaria

Thanks for that i will try freezing the root, I have a herbal book which says to fill a dark jar with the leaves and store for a while have you any experience of this?

Like what elendeor said I have friend that makes plant food that way never thought of as medicine. I keep a pot of S.offencle, there is muculege in the stem of leaves as well as the root. I have done tinctures with comfry, but I have had problems due to processing it, namely that handling large quantities can send your fingers numb. It is a medicine and needs respect.
I use it fresh, and only use it externally. I have used the mashed up leaves and root on painful joints to good effect.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
to make comfrey water for plant food:

1. set up a bin or barrel high enough on bricks to get a small watering can under.

2. batter a hole in the bottom of the bin with a pinch bar or something.

3. cram the bin full of young tender comfrey leaves.

4. place a weight on top of the leaves to compress them and place some sort of lid on top to stop the rain getting in.

5. place your bin on the bricks and bucket under the hole then wait for a couple of months until your bucket is full of stinky black liquid.

6. apply as plant food in a one in ten ratio.

7. repeat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE