Plant ID help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 26, 2008
Devon, UK
Hi all, Starting this year Im trying to slowly get more to grips with the local plants in our hedgerows this spring but am having a hard time finding out what this one is???

25ahisn.jpg

Thanks for your time :D

Aug 26, 2008
Devon, UK
I'm not sure to be honest. Initially I though it was hemlock water dropwort or fools parsley. But then the images online for both plants got me so span out as to what im looking for. I was assuming that as this was in the middle of a field in the woods and no where near running water its probably fools parsley??

I know they are both poisonous so its not a minor concern would just be nice if someone could 2nd that it is fools parsley or hemlock or suggest something else?

If it makes any difference these plants were nigh on 4foot tall.

Thanks for the help.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
It's an umbellifer :D

Tentatively, hemlock water dropwort, the same one that Toddy has linked to. Fool's parsley usually has much more pronounced rays beneath the flower clumps but the location would tend towards that rather than the HWD. In other words, I don't know.

What does it smell like?

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Fool's Parsley is also a much smaller plant with more delicate leaves and, as mentioned, little 'beards' below the flowers.

But not sure what that one is.

Geoff :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Rough chervil chaerophyllum but i cant see any redness to the stem and I dont know the texture. It does look quite like hemlock water dropwort but the tiddy ridge on the leaf rim doesnt look like it is there. That is a long way sayingi havent a scooby.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE