Plans for a home made forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have just had the good fortune to find some money (work related) to buy a 6ft ring kiln. This is part of a project working to decrease mental health referrals in Wiltshire through actively engaging with vulnerable groups and providing them with access to and better understanding of the countryside around them.

So the idea is it explore a load of coppice crafts, make charcoal, use charcoal in forge to make tools to then work the wood... a neat cycle really!

Having blown my money on the kiln I was wondering, does anybody have any plans, experience or advice that they would be willing to share on how to make a home made forge?

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks

Leo

SkogKniv

Dec 7, 2008
Way upstate NY
Yes I have one, regulate the air intake. I made a huge mistake my first time with a ground forge. I had too much air moving and did not pay close enough attention. I pulled out the blade to find the edge had turned to molten iron. Needless to say I learned a lesson. hahaha

Of course the high powered heat gun I was using might have been too much hehe.

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Hi Leo,

I made one using the info on this page:

http://www.cyphertext.net/~gfish/forge.html

Just want to say that I am not advocating the method on this page, just that I followed it very carefully and I'm here to tell the tale. (This is the health and safety bit over).

I found a refactory supplies locally, and they were only to happy to help with refactory wool, and fireproof cement and a couple of forge bricks which i used instead of board.

I also didn't make my own burner, just bought a gas burner from a local tool shop.

It is not the best, I have managed to heat treat stock removed blades and have messed about with forging (not very succesfully i might add). so it works.

Have a go and if you are careful, you should be ok.

Chris

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
For bladesmithing try searching for Tim Lively's washtub forge. For several forge designs and more general blacksmithing resources try iforgeiron.com; excellent forum, beginners' guides and articles.

haw_thrn

Dec 29, 2008
ontario canada
www.jeffhelmes.com
well if your going to just build a forge for a temporary use dig a hole in the ground and add air (forge blower or even a hair drier should do) that was basically what the vikings were doing. (or any other primitive blacksmith for that matter youtube had loads of vids about this. tribal blacksmiths working and such). all of the other advise and the links directed by the other posts here are good ones too. my first forge was a tim lively type but I used refractory instead ofadobe WORD OF ADVISE the galvanised tins sugested are dangerous to use for a forge as burnt galvanising fumes are highly toxic . I sugest that you surf around and find a forge idea that really fits both what you need and your resources.
i am currently and have been for several years now a fulltime blacksmith and have tried many of the diy forges you can find online so if you have any questions feel free to pm me if you like.

cheers

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A forge is pretty simple. You need two main components.

A container for your "fire".
A method of feeding air into your fire.

The rest ends up being ... creative design.

Most coal or charcoal forges are bottom draft - they feed the air up from the bottom. But side-draft is also an option - the air is fed in from the side.

And the body of the forge is just some sort of bowl/trough/dish to hold your fuel in place. A tin "washtub" works, but is kind of thin metal - so you line it with clay or firebrick. This also helps hold/retain/reflect your heat.

But many people choose something a little thicker/heavier to start with. A brake drum from a truck works well. It is thick/heavy, is already dished, and comes with a hole through the center bottom.

Then just get some large pipe pieces from the store to bolt onto the outside of that brake drum - to feed the air up into the fire. Needed pieces? A T, a flange, an end plug, and two short/long sections of pipe. The flange bolts to the brake drum. Then screw in a short section of pipe. Now thread on that T coupling. Add that other long section of pipe off of the side of that T coupling - this is where your air supply will come in. Use that end plug to close up the other end of the T on the bottom. That plug allows you to clean out any ash that falls down into your pipes. On top of the hole inside your brake drum, bolt on a cast iron floor drain cover, or a piece of heavy steel plate with a lot of holes drilled through it. You can bolt on legs to that brake drum if you want to, or just set it up on top of a bunch of stacked up bricks.

An air supply is as close as that cheapo hair blow-dryer. Figure out a way to attach it to that long section of pipe sticking out from under your brake drum. Duct Tape works well - especially if that pipe coming out is fairly long to cut down on the heat radiating out of your forge. If you don't have regular 110 volt available, just go to an auto salvage yard and get the car heater blower from a junker and run it off of a 12 volt car battery.

Clay or refractory cement inside your forge does help even out and reflect the heat, and it also helps prolong the life of your outside "container". But you can also just use clay from the yard/field. Or mix up a little cement and put that in. Yes the clay and cement will crack and eventually crumble. But they are cheap enough to patch or just chip out and replace.

So something to contain your fire/fuel, and a method to get extra air into your fire. That's all you really need. The rest is just ... creative design.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

cool, thanks for that guys. I'm kind of looking for one that wouldn't be too out of place in an ancient woodland so I will have a surf around the links (and advice!) you have given me and see if there is anything to develop.

Looking forward to it!

Leo

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not exactly plans but me and a mate knocked one up a while ago HERE. If I was to do another I might be tempted to make one that has the draught coming in from the side though.
And lining it with refractory clay seems like a good idea as well, just never got round to that bit yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE