pine tar soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Soapwort is lovely to use. Gentle on the skin, grows prolifically in season, known as Bouncing Bet and was traditionally grown at the edges of villages for women to gather for their washing.

British Red makes real soap too, and it's just good cooking :)

Look up washballs for old recipes for soaps made from natural ingredients.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He does indeed - he hates making pine tar soap though - it traces like lightning and is a swine to get in the moulds (and then John Fenna nicks it all :))

My Soapwort has filled a 14" pot by the way Mary - thank you very much indeed! I still have some Valerian seed if you would like some btw.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would need to see a definition of "ethically sourced" to be convinced sadly. It might be ethical in a fair trade sense but that does not mean that it isn't grown on land "cleared" for the purpose :(

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I would need to see a definition of "ethically sourced" to be convinced sadly. It might be ethical in a fair trade sense but that does not mean that it isn't grown on land "cleared" for the purpose :(

Yep, I rely on my other half for the info, she gets on her soapbox <:)> about all things ethical/environmental when it gets to beauty products.
"The production of our oils also does not contribute to deforestation. The palm oil comes from about 2,500 acres of smallholdings in Ghana that were established decades ago and we support growers in improving palm fruit yields &#8211; thus getting more oil out of the same amount of land."

http://www.drbronner.com/palm_oil_from_ghana.html
http://www.noble-house.tk/html/enge...an_soap_opera_Lucy_and_the_palm_oil_mill.html

I don't know if 'Grandpa's pine tar soap', which contains palm oil, can claim the same?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Might be worth pointing her to this

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/foo..._oil/environmental_impacts/forest_conversion/

Palm oil has devastated the tropical forests of Indonesia and Malaysia and threatens the same in areas of West Africa (e.g. Ghana). Whilst it may be "fair trade" and indeed "organic" it is destroying entire ecosystems and biodiversity.

Anyway...I'll climb off my "soapboax" (love it) now. As people who love our woods and trees, I do like to let people know that the one thing we can do to preserve the most fantastic forests is to refuse to use palm oil products.

Red

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Might be worth pointing her to this

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/foo..._oil/environmental_impacts/forest_conversion/

Palm oil has devastated the tropical forests of Indonesia and Malaysia and threatens the same in areas of West Africa (e.g. Ghana). Whilst it may be "fair trade" and indeed "organic" it is destroying entire ecosystems and biodiversity.

Anyway...I'll climb off my "soapboax" (love it) now. As people who love our woods and trees, I do like to let people know that the one thing we can do to preserve the most fantastic forests is to refuse to use palm oil products.

Red

Thanks for that. I did edit my post with some claims from the manufacturer.

"Some of our customers are concerned that the palm and coconuts oils we use in our soaps may come from plantations that were established on recently cleared tropical forestland or otherwise contribute to environmental destruction. They don't."

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Is the grandpas pine tar soap any good?

What I hate the most is the chocolate bars these days with fair trade and ethically sourced ingredients advertised on it..yet it contains palm oil. I saw it on tv too, was very upsetting.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
This has nothing to do with soap but I love the scouring effect of beach sand.
Not quite antibacterial and completely impractical if you're nowhere near the seaside but it works for me.
Happy trails...torc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A wee bit of clay turned into a slurry in warm water really cleans hands and feet, doesn't irritate, doesn't dry them out, and it rinses off no bother.
Nothing added to the environment except dead skin cells.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A wee bit of clay turned into a slurry in warm water really cleans hands and feet, doesn't irritate, doesn't dry them out, and it rinses off no bother.
Nothing added to the environment except dead skin cells.

cheers,
Toddy

I hate the feel of clay (and cotton wool for that matter) and would be loath to use this - but many "beauty treatments" rely on the scouring effect of of clay - perhaps that is why I aint pretty......

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The Dr Bronners account of its source for palm oil, linked earlier in this thread, seems to be OK by me. Does it pass the test, do you think? (particularly keen to hear from BR on this).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE