Pimped Firesteel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ricky369

May 11, 2009
NI - Co. Tyrone
I got 2 blanks from the same supplier as the group buy, cam the next day. So i spent yesterday putting a handle on it, this was my first attempt putting a handle on anything, and my second carving project. I didnt have a cordless drill at the house so i spent a lot of time digging out the hole (would have been handy, but i wanted to see if i could do without it)

I carved it green, made the hole, sand it, glued it on. And now i am waiting for it to dry out then i will oil it, right?

Wood is horse chestnut

Any suggestions welcome

Ricky :)

firesteel005.jpg

firesteel022.jpg

Also what is the best materials for strickers? I know i can use my knife but do i have to file it?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Usually best to leave the wood to dry first, in a rough dimensions kinda size/shape.

With it being pretty small there shouldnt be any checking or warping. If there is you will know for next time :)

Nice job though !

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
With a bit of wood just a little bigger than the finished size it would dry in no time, maybe a week or so in a warm room. For glue i use the two part epoxy but im sure superglue would do the trick ;)

Once its dried a bit just get a bit of boiled oil on it and yer done :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE