Pimp my hammock, help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

Bit lazy this post to be honest :eek: but i am after some advice for a few bits of kit to pimp my hammock.
I should trawl the hammock forums but i just hoped i could pick your brains instead and save me some time ;)

This is how it looks at the minute. The problem i have is the whole setup is very heavy and bulky. The tapes are my hammock straps with buckles that weigh about 10lbs each. The tarp is a pollycooton which weighs about 20lbs :) This isnt a problem for canoeing, or a short walk to my local haunt but its not good for walking any kind of distance which is what i am aiming to do more of this year.
I also have no idea how the world of whoopie slings? Also these hangs i see from the rigde line?

Not a lot of cash at the mo but i was thinking of starting with a DD 3x3 to reduce the weight? No idea about the hang though.
Hannock is a nomad and i have a set of lightweight crabs in the mix already

Help!

P1010027.jpg

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Loose the ratchet straps and get some whoopie slings. You dont need that long tree huggers maybe 6ft max and then use the whoopie slings from the tree huggers to the hammock. If you use soft shackles as well instead of crabs you will save even more weight.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd definitely look at getting some whoopies, that way you can get rid of a lot of the bulk and weight of your straps.

The Nomad hammock is a really nice sleep, I suppose you could get something with an integrated net but then your looking at spending some more brass. Mat at UKHammocks has some nice solutions, he's stocking Warbonnet gear too which is what I'm currently using. You could swap the net and hammock for something else but you wouldn't see a massive weight saving.

The tarp is where you can shed some grams though, the DD 3x3 came in around 700g when I had one, not sure how that compares to your polycotton. If you can stretch the budget I'd recommend going for silnylon. Again Mat has the Warbonnet tarps in stock, the Superfly is a great buy, maybe a bit OTT for 3 season but a great winter tarp.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks chaps. So i have to use tapes and whoopie slings? Where do i grab the tapes from?
Shewie, pretty happy with the hammock over the past 4 years or so and the net is also the group but and weighs nawt.
Will have a quick gander at the warbonnet stuff now. What about this handing from a ridge line stuff is it worth the fiddling? Cant see the advantages at first glance.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What ridgeline stuff have you seen? Are you talking about the bug netting suspension?

Folk have developed a ridgeline to give a consistent lay each time you setup, you'll notice on HF that most people go for a saggy lay rather than the tight pitch we see a lot over here. Having a ridgeline fixed in place between the ends of the hammock gives you the same angles each time, although I've never tried it I think the GB bug net would work well over a ridgeline.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
You've certainly got potential to lighten your load, whether you change a few elements of your set up or change it all over time (well, we all like skiny new kit don't we:))

It's may be worth weighing your setup if you haven't already, the individual components as well as adding it together to see the cumulative difference.

To give you an example, here's one potential setup (based on weights given on the DD Hammocks site, no affiliations, happy customer etc)

DD Travel hammock (with built in bug net) 930g
DD 3x3 Tarp 720g
Whoopie slings x 2 40g
DMM Karabiners x 2 70g OR softshackles 10g
Tree Huggers x2 124g

Overall you're looking at a weight of between 1824g to 1884g depending on whether you go with soft shackles or karabiners (you've already got lightweight wired karabiners anyway going by the pic).

If you decided to start cutting weight, you could simply start replacing some of the heavier components.

I'm planning to move over to whoopies and possibly softshackles but need to save my pennies/do it a bit at a time as my sons have hammocks too and my wife does go a bit nuts when I buy yet more stuff.

There's loads of companies out there as well as DD, off the top of my head there's warbonnet, Tenth Wonder, UK Hamocks and plenty more I'm sure. It's also worth having a look on the hammocking forums too.

Last edited:

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
I use the hammock ridge line method.
Once you get it set to your liking you don't need to reset again, ever, you then have the right set for your hammock no matter how far apart the tree's are.
DD are now doing a full whoopie set.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I use the hammock ridge line method.
Once you get it set to your liking you don't need to reset again, ever, you then have the right set for your hammock no matter how far apart the tree's are.
DD are now doing a full whoopie set.

Edit..

Thanks for that. Just sent DD an email to see if they can deliver by the weekend and they called me back within minutes to take my order for delivery tomorrow.
I went for the whoopies, tree huggers and one of their 3x3 tarps. Just found the bag for my old tarp and its well over 2KG!

Now to find some instruction on their use :)

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Buy some amsteel and make your own whoopie slings. It'll work out a lot cheaper and over a night you'll learn how to make them as well as use them, as they seem kinda abstract when you're not familiar with them. If you get into it you can make other neat stuff like soft shackles to replace your biners, or continuous loops, or an adjustable ridgeline.

The stickied topics on HF will cover everything.

Definately think about getting a ridgeline tho', being able to dial in the right lay and then keeping it consistent with the ridgeline isn't going to help you carrying your setup but the consistent nights sleep is awesome.

Last edited:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Been using whoopie slings in my daily work for agees, and seen them used on a hammock setup!
for a tree surgeon, Yes!, For a hammock setup, Waste of space and money!,IMHO it's just the lattest fad!
Never seen Uncle ray using them, nor the army troops in afghanistan etc..:confused:
All you need is 2 x carabiners and 2 x 4mtr slings!:)
This is only my opinion, probably a stupid one but everyone is different!
Good luck:)

RM

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks again for the pointers all.
Well DD came though as promised, the kit arrived today less than 24 hours later. Lovely bunch to deal with and excellent customer service.
Off to the woods for a quick hike and one nights camp in the hammock.
Will post a review of the slings tapes and also the tarp.

I will give the ridge line hanging a chance next time as i dont have anything suitable for the line as of yet.

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
Hi dwardo

Here is THE hammock vid.
It's Shug :cool: This is part 1 of 11, I learnt a hell of a lot from this guy.

[h=1]Hammock Hangin' How-To PART 1... Essentials For Noobs Part 1[/h][video=youtube_share;d7NZVqpBUV0]http://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE