Petrol or Diesel Land rover?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Trust a Yank.....

next you'll be telling us that Budweiser is best......:pokenest: :D

LOL. No. I won't go there. I will say that Budweiser was better than it is now before they (and every US brewery) went on the "lite beer" craze. But German beer was and always will be the best.

Last edited:
I know right! I live in the countryside now so totally need a landy! Hmmm

I need to get pooch in boot and gear on back seat and have room for me and passenger or two :( currently driving a Honda jazz (also a tardis) but its getting old and grumpy and seems to have things wrong with it regularly.....could be describing myself there!

The way things are going I'll want a vehicle to take canoes and kayaks as well as camping kit!

Im pretty much in the same situation, the fiesta does just fine really, but with the added rubbish I have to carry around, plus work needs, plus constant flooding and the fact we want to buy a canoe and try and go camping more, I just thought for once I have good reason to finally get a land rover, instead of just wanting one hahah!!

Have you considered a Subaru Forester estate?
Theres lots of old ones around, capable 4x4, low ratio gears, very very reliable, 2nd hand parts available, good load carrying (especially for dogs), good handling, good on motorways as well as country roads, effective heater and does about 25-35 mpg depending on how you drive it.

never even knew they existed haha! sounds alright, i'll check them out :D

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Have a look at Hyundi Santa Fe , I like mine and it performed well last year when most other non 4x4 cars were not able to get around, plenty of room with back seats up and when down truly masive area to fill

Thanks for all your advice guys,really appreciate it. I've been looking at more landys and some of the other 4x4 types some of you have mentioned :) The aim is is to find a few of the 'better' ones, ones that sound okay, and take my dad with me to look at some :) He's re-built a few landrovers in his time, so I trust he'll know what to look out for, he also wont take any bull s**t seller/trade talk, so he's good to have on my side, as I fear I am too trusting haha!!

I think whatever I get, with the amount of miles I have to do, its still going to work out expensive to run. I wanted something as a work horse, to make my life a bit easier carrying all that I have to carry around with me, and be something that I can enjoy ie camping or carrying canoes and obviously something that will help me at work.

I love landys, but will deff look into other options :)

Thanks for all your advice, it really has helped :eek:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Something that miht help is to try to find one (a landy or whatever other vehicle you might be considering) to rent for a week. That'll give you an opportunity to see for yourself how you like it before looking for one to buy.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
This might be of interest too :
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/subaru/forester-2002/

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/subaru/forester-4x4/full-review/23498-3/#tabsection2

I'm on my 3rd, Forester. 2 have done high miles, never had to spend anything on them apart from servicing. Turbo versions are fun but best avoided. Also have a look at the Outback and other Subaru estates. They are all based on the Impreza, but de-tuned.

Had a Series 111, an early Range Rover, 200 tdi Disco, a Freelander diesel, all good, all expensive, all high maintenance.

Aslo had a Renault Kangoo Trekker (the 4x4) - also a good vehicle, but prone to some electrical probs. Transmission is from Nissan. Not many about but pretty good - ww.youtube.com/watch?v=xofyT4vhQ68

You might want to look at the non 4x4 Kangoos or Berlingos too, very practical, cheap, economical - with winter tyres they are very capable and can be converted into mini campers...........

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
If you can afford to consider the td5 disco 2, they're a great option because of the body redesign which eliminated the rot between the front of the rear wheelarch and rear door but they're still thirsty beasties, have a drive of mine at a meet... If we get a diesel freelander in, they're surpprisingly handy but avoid petrol variants as both 1.8 and v6 are often expensive go repair with well known faults. We've traded on some vitaras and been impressed with them, owners can get as bad about them as the staunchest LR nut ;)

We've never traded a Subaru because we've only seen ones with oil pools under the engine, shame coz folk rave about them :)

last v8 swb landy we had in traded on at £600 but needed a full restoration, had LPG fitted though... All serious advice apart, buy a landy and start the most intense love....hate relationship that will define your life :D

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
If you can afford to consider the td5 disco 2, they're a great option because of the body redesign which eliminated the rot between the front of the rear wheelarch and rear door but they're still thirsty beasties, have a drive of mine at a meet... If we get a diesel freelander in, they're surpprisingly handy but avoid petrol variants as both 1.8 and v6 are often expensive go repair with well known faults. We've traded on some vitaras and been impressed with them, owners can get as bad about them as the staunchest LR nut ;)

We've never traded a Subaru because we've only seen ones with oil pools under the engine, shame coz folk rave about them :)

last v8 swb landy we had in traded on at £600 but needed a full restoration, had LPG fitted though... All serious advice apart, buy a landy and start the most intense love....hate relationship that will define your life :D

Your right about the love of Landys, but the redesign of the body did not really cure the Body rot in the Series 2 Discovery, There are now loads of the older Disco 2's beginning to show rot just as the other ones did, dont forget they are now nearly 14 years old... I got a few mates that have found this out the hard way once they had brought one, still great cars tho.

The Air Suspension on them is expensive to repair so look for one that does not have it... a Couple of owners, I know have removed it and gone to Coil only.

One thing to bear in mind with the TD5 is the cost of spares, some are a tad more expensive..... they are full of electronics... but then again most cars are now days. you would be shocked how much a Rear Hub Wheel Bearing costs... let alone the labour on it,

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Aslo had a Renault Kangoo Trekker (the 4x4) - also a good vehicle, but prone to some electrical probs. Transmission is from Nissan. Not many about but pretty good - ww.youtube.com/watch?v=xofyT4vhQ68

You might want to look at the non 4x4 Kangoos or Berlingos too, very practical, cheap, economical - with winter tyres they are very capable and can be converted into mini campers...........

A few Trekkas kicking around, Renault stopped production end of 2005. Good thing is the sheer space in the back, add a car tent makes a great hq for canoe trips.

Something that miht help is to try to find one (a landy or whatever other vehicle you might be considering) to rent for a week. That'll give you an opportunity to see for yourself how you like it before looking for one to buy.

Thats a very good idea :)

I must say, the past few days or so ive been having a look in car parks etc like a loony, checking out all the different 4x4s im interested in, much to Hamish's embarrassment I may add!! Luckily so far, I havent had an owner come up and ask me what im doing yet haha! But I figured its a good way to see how big they are etc to help me make a desision!!

Thanks again for all your advice guys and gals :eek: Very much appreciated and helpful in my desision making :)

I like the look of the vitatas. Ive seen a few around and looked for more info and people seem to say they are a great all round 4x4.
I also read some reviews from people who have them as working 4x4s on farms, and from people who just go about the city etc, and all say good things :)
I was just wondering tho, ive seen some advertised as Grand Vitara and some as Vitara. I tried to look up on the net to see the difference, but to no avail!! I thought the Grand Vitara would be a bit bigger than the vitara, but after having a look at pics and sneaky peeks at ones driving around or in car parks, the vitara looks bigger than the grand vitara?!? Is this right?? Also, some are advertised as estates aswell?? I must say, I am now most confused!!!

If I was concidering on of these, are they supidly expensive to repair and are the parts readily available? I thought with the latter question they would be?
I have to make sure I do my research right when presenting my findings to my dad, who ultimately will have the final say hahah! :lmao:

Fionn :pirate:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
We *think* all the vitaras were branded Grand Vitara from a certain cutoff point, not sure when that was though... theres 3 n 5 door variants, I'd have a look around and see if theres any 2nd hand dealers near you that have a few different model 4x4s in and take a looksee/ sit in/ test drive and have a damn good chinwag with them. If they aren't willing to chew the fat, then you wouldn't want to buy off them anyway ;) Trev reckons go diesel for preference but I think thats on economy, we sold a petrol 3door which was a right go-er to the neighbour who drove it around, happy as larry, with no spend for 3 yrs until she uprated to a boring car.... so I can't give you an idea of parts availability or repair costs cos we've never had to do any!

P

Psulli16

Diesel is a must, the patrols mpg is shocking ! To say the least. My 300tdi does around 27 mpg and I use bio diesel at £1 per litre.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Diesel is a must, the patrols mpg is shocking ! To say the least. My 300tdi does around 27 mpg and I use bio diesel at £1 per litre.

What's your real mileage? Meaning, what is it when you actually drop it in 4WD and and gear down to granny low to cross country instead of on road?

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I've had landroves most of my driving life bothe discos and defender and in my experience they are reliable and I've never had one let me down, the thing with land rovers is there's a lot more to go wrong which is one of the reasons there's so good off road, if there looked after there fine just make sure you get it looked over by someone in the no, most garages will do it for nothing. Good luck

dt4x4

Jan 6, 2013
st helens
i work for a 4x4 garage in warrington and drive a 300 tdi discovery everyday but mine is modified it runs 37 inch wheels as long as you look after them and dont put cheep parts on them they are good and wont let you down when you realy need it . any help i can give just give me a shout dt4x4

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE