Petrol or Diesel Land rover?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone :)

I'm looking into getting a Land rover for work and such. Ive come across a really nice 1983 County which i'm quite interested in, but its a petrol engine. I just wondered if its better to get a diesel or are the petrol ones okay? I would use it for commuting to and from work, veterinary related visits to farms, camping trips and general ferrying of the dog to nice hilly walking spots!!
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Fionn :pirate:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I had an old series 2 long wheel base landrover and it was a superb tool, go anywhere, etc, but thirsty? was it ever! A diesel will give you more mpg, but will also be more expensive in the first place, mainly as everybody wants diesels, and nobody wants petrol.

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for that, but just my personal experience.

Hope this helps!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'm with you juttle. Just bought a petrol 4wd. MPG is negligable on old motors, if I intended on doing loads of miles weekly, I might have gone diesel. But the cheaper on the forecourt and at the pump swung it.

N

Nomad

How quickly do you want to empty your wallet, followed soon after by your bank account?

My 1986 LR 90, fitted some time in its life with a 200tdi diesel, does a very steady 29-30mpg. A Series IIa that I had many moons ago, 2.25L petrol, with Fairey overdrive, rarely managed any more than 18mpg. Some numbers here to indicate what a 1983 petrol would do...

http://www.4x4xfox.co.uk/factsheets.asp

For what it's worth, the 200tdi engine (from 1990) is widely considered to be excellent. It was a major factor behind me getting the Land Rover that I did.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As stated the initial cost of diesel engines are higher than for gasoline ones but the mileage is better (so is the durability) Over here it's generally accepted that in order to recoup the initial extra purchase price on a NEW diesel vehicle you'd need to keep it for 10 years with "average" driving habits, considerred between 12,000 and 15,000 miles per year over here (officially anyway; most people actually drive about double that)

You'd need to adjust those figures for your driving habits and the difference in costs of a used vehicle. Also you might want to look at the difference in costs such as insurance if there is any.

My Ram 1500 gasoline engine (the only option available) only gets about 14 miles per US gallon (about 17.5 per British gallon) but that's more than enough to justify the savinfs of $4500 over going fo a comparable diesel. At least for now.

Last edited:

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
I've done this sum many times and tried both. Given that diesels are more expensive to buy, but that petrols are dearer to run, the break even point is around 12-18 months depending on mileage. Incidentally it's the same for petrol vs petrol/LPG. If its a keeper get the diesel. If its a bit of fun, or you don't do many miles get the petrol as they're generally nicer to drive. There's not much difference in insurance or tax if it's a pre 2001 model.
That said you don't buy a land rover with your head. You buy it with your heart. They're all more expensive to run than a one litre, eco, death trap in an accident car.
So buy one that you like...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
It depends on which petrol engine it is, I believe that the County in 1983 was available with the full line up of the Series 3 engines, that would include the 2lt, the 2.5ltr four cylinder, the 2.6 six cylinder and the V8 3.5 ltr, the 2ltr was to under powered, the 2.5 was not bad,

I had a 2.6 with over drive and free wheeling hubs, and if I remember I got about 24 MPG, the 3.5 V8 will only return about 15 to 20 MPG at the v best.

The the diesel used to be the 2.25 ltr - Non Turbo normally aspirated but are also alot out the been modified to have the 200 tdi and the 300 tdi engine...

I have at the mo a 300tdi in my Disco, and get about 25 mpg, its off road moded, and used every day

All very good engines, just dont go any were near the 20ltr MPI engine,

One guide I have come across about buying older land rovers is this, it may help you

http://www.mylandy.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/buyingguide.pdf

I have had many Landys over the years and loved them all. at the end of the day its a large 4x4 and will drink juice, petrol is worse, and every Landy is different,

Last edited:
Thank you all for your helpful comments :)

I was kind of swinging towards diesel more as that seems the better option. I've always dismissed the petrol ones I've come across before, mainly because my dad said '' you dont want a petrol one'', so I took his word and passed them by. But looking through, I just wondered what the difference was, if any, and I also wanted advice off people who have had experience with both, which my dad hasnt had only ever having diesel.

I know if I have one, its going to drink a lot more juice than my 1.2 ford fiesta, but that said, Im already forking out £50+ a week on fuel as it is, so would it be any worse?? :confused: I'm not sure!!
I have to carry around a ridiculous amount of junk in my car, I use it as a wardrobe/garage/dog carrier etc as the boat is too small to sore things, and it would be useful to have one for work etc!!

I think I will just have to keep hunting for the right one and do more research!!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
If I may play Devils advocate, does it need to be a Landy? There are a lot of small 4x4's out there that would do the job just as well at half the cost. :)

+1 Suzuki Vitaras / Jimnys are well respected in the 4x4 world and punch well above their weight with 1600cc and 1300cc engines respectively... Often seen pulling landys out of the mire :cool:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
+1 Suzuki Vitaras / Jimnys are well respected in the 4x4 world and punch well above their weight with 1600cc and 1300cc engines respectively... Often seen pulling landys out of the mire :cool:

My point exactly. Nothing wrong with old Land Rovers, but you need deep pockets and spanner knowledge.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
another point with land rovers (and other older cars too) is that unless you know what to look for they can be a minefield to buy. 1983 is an old car, if it has been well looked after by an enthusiast then brilliant, but if not it will likely have a badly rusted chassis and many other worn out parts that will likely fail the next MOT if they don't cause breakdowns and other costly hassles.

im not saying don't get a land rover (im an enthusiast myself) but just be careful buying one otherwise it will turn out to be nothing but problems and misery instead of great fun.

pete

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....I know if I have one, its going to drink a lot more juice than my 1.2 ford fiesta, but that said, Im already forking out £50+ a week on fuel as it is, so would it be any worse?? :confused: I'm not sure!! .....

LOL. I wish! The ram has a 26 gallon tank (or 20 British gallons) At $3.20 per gallon that's $83.20 per tank (or about 53 pounds) and one and a half - two tanks a week.

My point exactly. Nothing wrong with old Land Rovers, but you need deep pockets and spanner knowledge.

another point with land rovers (and other older cars too) is that unless you know what to look for they can be a minefield to buy. 1983 is an old car, if it has been well looked after by an enthusiast then brilliant, but if not it will likely have a badly rusted chassis and many other worn out parts that will likely fail the next MOT if they don't cause breakdowns and other costly hassles.

im not saying don't get a land rover (im an enthusiast myself) but just be careful buying one otherwise it will turn out to be nothing but problems and misery instead of great fun.

pete

I know youre both right. The more and more I look into it etc, I think it would probaby be an unwise desision, which is gutting because I really want a bloomin land rover!! :lmao:

I think from the research ive done and reading everyones comments, I think its probably best I looked for something different. I think with having to go backwards and forwards to work all day, plus the extra journeys I have to do, a land rover would just eat up my money! And there is the fair point that being an older car, ill start running into trouble eventually, which youre right, wont be great fun! Ive just got rid of a 35yr old mini and that wasnt too fun having it break down on the motorway!!

We've had landys over the years and I know my dad vowed never to rebuild anouther engine again, so he isnt going to be too pleased if I get anouther one!! :s

I think I will look into other 4x4's as I could still do with something for the farm work I have to do.

Thank you all for taking the time to have a look and give me your advice :)

Just had a look at some, not so keen on the jimnys, but the suzuki vitaras arnt so bad, theyre something id never concidered before, so I shall look into it some more :)

Some of the pictures of the boot space dont look too big tho :/ I'm thinking I wouldnt be able to get a dog crate, vet box and other rubbish I have to carry with me in there! Is the boot space bigger than it looks?

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just had a look at some, not so keen on the jimnys, but the suzuki vitaras arnt so bad, theyre something id never concidered before, so I shall look into it some more :)

Some of the pictures of the boot space dont look too big tho :/ I'm thinking I wouldnt be able to get a dog crate, vet box and other rubbish I have to carry with me in there! Is the boot space bigger than it looks?

I've been looking at the grand vitaras its 4 doors and more boot space, but like you my heart say Landy!

Orric
http://rangerorric.blogspot.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE