Petrol or Diesel Land rover?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 14, 2013
Hampshire
As the happy owner of a Petrol SIII I would recommend going petrol if you are looking at a series or an early 90 but otherwise go diesel. Benefits of petrol is that they're slightly easier to fix at the side of a road, e.g. a spark plug goes you can fix it pretty easily but if a diesel injector goes its a garage jobby normally. And because older vehicles are more likely to break down hence, go petrol. Diesel pros are that you can enter water, provided you don't go below the engine air intake, without fiddling under the bonnet before smearing Vaseline and wd40 all over the electrics. Also you get a lower torque band which is better for serious off roading although in my experience its only when you're properly stuck do you need it and admittedly diesel mpg is a better than petrol. Petrols are a little faster off the line too but with a Landie speed isn't exactly essential. Hope this doesn't cause too many objections and is helpful :)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I've got a Mitsubushi Delica, I've only seen two other people on here who have and one swore he wouldn't have another, no use in car parks with a 6' 6" height restriction, but the inside is cavernous and the running gear is Shogun/Pajero.

I suppose it doesnt really, i've never really looked into anything else tho because ive been too obsessed with land rovers :lmao:

There's nothing wrong with being obsessed. With land rovers
Both petrol and diesels have there own strength
Diesels are better for wadding deep water regularly
The defender petrols are ok as well
But I'd recommend a 200tdi diesel over all else

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
If you were still considering a defender I live just down the road from you in Stroud and you could come take a look at mine and go for a spin if you wanted. I've got a 1985 200tdi that's had a few off road tweaks and I off road it at foxham once a month.
my6uba4y.jpg

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
If you were still considering a defender I live just down the road from you in Stroud.....and go for a spin if you wanted.
With offers like that, young Water Gypsy might find a squatter in her bilges ;) I have to warn you, Fionn, if you take a drive off road with someone experienced, in a landy, nothing else will be good enough!

hotchy

Jul 26, 2012
Aldeston in Mora
Do what I do......

I have a t plate fiesta, which does around 45 to 50mpg..... I use it the time, I also have a S2 88 inch (68) and a 109 inch(67). Both are tax free so that's £500 a year saved. Its only 150 a year for fully comp for both.....Plus mot costs of course, unless you buy a series 1 that's built before 1960, then its mot free...... I only use them when the snow is too deep for the fiesta, or when its too hot, as a convertible( rag top)..

Ones petrol( 2.3 at 15 to 18 to the gallon or £6.50 for every 15 miles and the other has the 200tdi in an 25 to 30mpg.... But for the few miles I do in them its negligible....

So top and bottom- just get a second car( landie that classed a classic, and use when it needed... simple'ss best of both worlds, and you will save a fortune,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE