Pestle and mortar fun... photo heavy...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers guys.....Stovie.....I will make you an annointing cup if you want one, if I can come over and help you with the cider tasting......:beerchug:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Jon! that is pretty amazing! You've got it so round! Im amazed by how well your chisel adze has worked! If youve still got more to do i cant wait to see the next set of pics!

How wide is it? And is it going to get deeper?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Jon! that is pretty amazing! You've got it so round! Im amazed by how well your chisel adze has worked! If youve still got more to do i cant wait to see the next set of pics!

How wide is it? And is it going to get deeper?

Cheers Jon....I actually used a chisel to get it round, I will put up the photo's showing....(don't know why I didn't put them up yesterday :rolleyes: ). Its 8" wide and 3 1/2" heigh...I think I will make the bowl deeper, but not too deep, it needs strength underneath with all the pounding its going to get...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Going back a bit....
After the first set of photo's..... I wanted to get the top flat, so I drew a pencil line around and cut off the top. I also drew a circle on the top, using a pan that was the right size...
DSC03995Small.jpg

Next, I cut the sides down with a batton and chisel...
DSC03996Small.jpg

The outside is now round..
DSC03997Small.jpg

I drew another pencil line around the top to cut the inside to, and I use another smaller chisel to get the inside cut out...
DSC03999Small.jpg

I wanted to round off the base a bit, so a pencil line above and below and chop out with my favourite axe...
DSC03998Small.jpg

Its now hacked out to pretty much the shape I want....
DSC04000Small.jpg

Then its out with a rasp to lose the cut marks and a spoon knife to sort the inside...
DSC04001Small.jpg

Got the day off today, so I will get some more done....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks for the comments guys...Afraid your going to have to wait to see the finished bowl though, as it needs to dry now...I have sanded it and only need to oil it now, but it needs to dry very slowly, so its going in the shed and will come back out when I get back from Sweden in a couple of weeks... Should be some beech nuts dropping by then hopefully, so I can use it straight away.....

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The apples will be pressed and juice barreled by then Jon...just bring your taste buds back in one piece...AND Spamel, NO 55 Gallon mugs allowed :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Here you go Stovie, an annointing cup. Knocked it up this afternoon (took a load of progress shots if anyone is interested). Still need to finish it, but it shouldn't take much more doing to complete it....

DSC04014Small.jpg

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I'm mightily impressed Jon. Need to pick it up before you disappear off to Sweden. Let me know if it's possible..

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Could meet at the cricks one night this week if you like. I can do Wednesday, at 2100 (dont get home from work till 2030 :( ) What say you???

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Jeez! That cup is amazing! Have you chisseled the centre out right to the bottom? must be hard going! :beerchug:

Didn't chisel it, I started to cut it out with my spoon knife, but that was hard and slow going, so I got my mate makita to help me....The rest is hand done though....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE