perigrin falcons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How about this?
sparcl1.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a male sparrowhawk....the female is often more grey (as above). Could be a pair of birds that you have seen.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Am with red on this un !! :) My money is on them being a pair of sparrowhawks !!Try an get a good picture mate (without) disturbing them :) !! Watched a pair a few years ago raising young in an old crows nest an the noise of the youngins gave them away !!! plenty pigeon feathers around as well !!!!

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
Am with red on this un !! :) My money is on them being a pair of sparrowhawks !!Try an get a good picture mate (without) disturbing them :) !! Watched a pair a few years ago raising young in an old crows nest an the noise of the youngins gave them away !!! plenty pigeon feathers around as well !!!!

yeah i think the female being lighter was the first one i saw will try to get a pic but it is like they are mocking me lol

Check these photos out - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=no...1FYeYhQemtcX4BA&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=658

The photos of these Northern Goshawks showing streaked breast markings are immature birds and the barred breast marking are adult.
Have you considered that the birds that you are seeing might be escaped hawkers birds? Goshawks are usually very shy, elusive birds and not at all easy to see.

the two birds are different colours, one greyish and one reddish! think i have sparrow hawks

Thats a male sparrowhawk....the female is often more grey (as above). Could be a pair of birds that you have seen.

think you may be right my friend!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

It's the other way round the smaller grey back red front is the male, the much bigger brown one is the female.
I'd also say Reds female image is very untypical the breast is normally very clear horizontal bars on pale background like this
sparrowHawk-01.jpg

Last edited:

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
It's the other way round the smaller grey back red front is the male, the much bigger brown one is the female.
I'd also say Reds female image is very untypical the breast is normally very clear horizontal bars on pale background like this
sparrowHawk-01.jpg
[/QUOTE

thanx for that, will be having a good look today, i love the way the pigeons and being massacred by these wonderful birds!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Pigeons are common prey species for female spars though at the top end of what they take, the smaller male will just occasionally take one. Tits, sparrows and blackbirds are the staples diet though. I have never heard of a sparrowhawk whether wild or trained taking a rabbit and doubt if one could carry one away so if you are absolutely sure about the rabbit mentioned in post 6 and 10 then it is far more likely to be goshawk.
They are very easy to tell apart look at the thickness of the legs and look for the different coloured male if it is sparrowhawk (red chest gray back) goss male and female are same colour.
Here is goss, thick neck like a heavyweight boxer, sparrowhawk is very slender compared.
682775-goss-hawk.jpeg

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
We had some peregrin falcons nesting in a cliff near us in Cornwall and they were just gliding round, when they got u some speed though, they were the fastest birds I have ever seen!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's a pair of peregrines nesting in an old quarry where we go walking regularly. There are some great view points around and about which let us get within 50yds and they're not bothered one bit. The only thing that gets them wound up is when the crows come back over to roost in the sycamores opposite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE