perigrin falcons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
i have a pair of falcons nesting in a tree next door to me. is it ok if i get near it to take some photos? if so might get you a few pics tomorrow. if there is a distance i should keep does anyone know what it is? thanx :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
At a guess.... as far away as possible, and use your zoom.

Its better to get a slightly 'fuzzy' photo, than disturb them.

But thats just my HO. Looking forward to the piccys, al :)

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
i have a pair of falcons nesting in a tree next door to me

If there nesting in a tree there probably not peregrine falcons but kestrels, they use old nests of other birds like crows. Peregrines build there nest on rocky cliffs or (here in Holland where there are virtually no natural cliffs) on edges of high buildings.

Cheers,

Tom

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Very rare for Peregrine to nest in trees, esp' near humans.

Basically it's an offence to intentionally or recklessly disturb them at a nest.

Pics are ok if the above is observed but that really means keep well away.

May be Kestrel as said or Sparrowhawk.

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
i was as surprised as you lot but there is a severe shortage of rocky outcrops in the levels here lol. have been watching them now for about 2 weeks everyday and the ID in my book of birds of britain and ireland is a perigrin. they are sat on an old crows nest that has been empty for 2 seasons and seem to be doing very well. the male has taken 2 rabbits on my land that i have witnessed close hand.:)

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Awesome birds have had a pair nesting on cliffs near my work for three seasons had one hunting above me only yesterday the woodys around us have taken a tumble

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just to correct this as the OP is sure they are peregrines.

The law prohibits intentional
disturbance of any species included in Schedule 1 of the
Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. This applies while such
a bird is building a nest, or is in, on or near a nest
containing eggs or young. It is also illegal to intentionally
disturb dependent young of Schedule 1 birds.

SCHEDULE 1
Birds that are protected by special penalties and that may not
be photographed at or near a nest without a licence:

Peregrines are a Schedule 1 bird, so the OP requires a licence from English Nature to photograph them without committing an offense

Source: Bird Photography and the Law

http://www.birdimages.co.uk/files/documents/BIRDPHOT_tcm5-43180.pdf

Red

GeoffWood

Maker
Sep 30, 2008
Derbyshire
The identification of these birds is a puzzle to me. As has been mentioned already, Peregrine Falcons very rarely use trees to nest in. Also they don't build nests, usually they just scrape an indentation in the soft surface on their chosen nest ledge.
Also unusual is the report of the male killing rabbits. Almost always, Peregrines take their prey (birds) on the wing. The behaviour of the birds fits well with Buzzards, but they don't resemble Peregrines. The only other bird of prey (that could be found in Oxfordshire) that I can think of, that the male could take rabbits is Goshawk.

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
The identification of these birds is a puzzle to me. As has been mentioned already, Peregrine Falcons very rarely use trees to nest in. Also they don't build nests, usually they just scrape an indentation in the soft surface on their chosen nest ledge.
Also unusual is the report of the male killing rabbits. Almost always, Peregrines take their prey (birds) on the wing. The behaviour of the birds fits well with Buzzards, but they don't resemble Peregrines. The only other bird of prey (that could be found in Oxfordshire) that I can think of, that the male could take rabbits is Goshawk.

yeah a puzzle is right, well first thanx for all the interest and advice. second it is not a pair of kestrals as i have been watching for over 2 weeks and not a single hover. so i am going to sit there with my field glasses all day today with the camera and see what i come up with! the bird hunting has taken rabbits and pigeons on the ground. i was walking up the beech avenue and stumbled across him with a rabbit. he shrouded the kill with his wings made alot of noise and flew off to the nest. when he gets to the nest he sits back from the nest itself and waits for the noise to die down a bit and the hops in. theres lots of screeching and fuss then he starts again. any help in the ID? get back to you later nice one

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll lay odds on a female sparrowhawk

Female sparrowhawk

2009-04-05_JS8Q7678_female_sparrowhawk.jpg

Peregrine

Peregrine in tree by British Red, on Flickr

Do be careful not to photograph on or near the nest if you think they are peregrines - would hate you to get in trouble

Red

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
we have peregrines nesting on Norwich Cathedral spire. The cathedral have just installed a special nesting platform with two cctv cameras.

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
well the plot thickens, i think i have something else nesting here. we are moving house at the moment and my good ID book has been packed! thanx love!! :togo: but i did have my glasses with me and have sat out for hours today watching at a good distance. the birds i have, have got a reddish brown back and a tail that has 5 light bars running down to the end of the tail that has a distinct black line at the bottom, which is curved like a buzzards. when preening the wing tips are jet black and the face has a black eyebrow above the eye and a sort of black spot or circle on on top of its head. can sit on the same branch for up to 2 hours. and can get very pi#sed off with pigeons if they get too close to the nest. one of them sits on the nest alot, but as i left they both flew off together. lastly when the hunting bird comes back there is alot of noise like eeek eeek eeek eeek, very loud, even my old dad can hear it! what do you think that is then? would love to know.

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
only about the size of a pigeon mate, we have lots of kites and buzzards round here. i have been watching them for years. this is a bird i have never seen in this neck of the woods hence the post.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
If these are indeed a pair of Peregrines, be cautious in identifying the nesting site in a public way. Peregrine chicks are worth thousands to unethical scumbags.

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
If these are indeed a pair of Peregrines, be cautious in identifying the nesting site in a public way. Peregrine chicks are worth thousands to unethical scumbags.

fair shout, didn't think about that sorry, don't think they are peregrines now. i have done some trawling on sites and looking at pictures and i think it might be a goshawk as suggested earlier. trouble is that in the sun the bird looks totally different than in the shade. the leaves are growing quickly now the good weather is here and soon they will be impossible to watch. the call is so loud and distinct. well will be there soon oh for a zoom lens!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE