Penknives and the sharpening thereof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Received a Mora which was sharp, but not that sharp. Seeing as it's dark and cold outside, I thought I'd have a go at sharpening it. I now have bald patches from both moras I own. The three penknives I have in my possession however just won't get that sharp. I almost have trouble cutting paper with them without tearing it. Any ideas? Plus I definitely need to replace one of the blades on my Mauser... Any ideas how expensive that is?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Turns out my Mauser stopped being made in the 1980s and is apparently a popular collectors item... Doesn't look like I'll get that spare blade. The previous owner was not good at sharpening and made a complete hash of the 2nd blade.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
sharpening any knife is all about repetition and consistency. same angles over and over

If it is rubbish to start with, start out coarse and work your way down.

Get a permanent marker and mark the edge, you will see where you are removing metal, you may find that you aren't removing enough metal to begin with.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Thanks, I've got the edge to a good consistency, but I can't easily blacken the edge because its so damn small, but I'll give it a try!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I get the better edges on my smaller pen knife sig my DC4. Something to do with sharpening stainless I suspect, thoough I can get the kitchen knives pretty good on waterstones. They are about all I use the DC4 for nowdays.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE