Pembrokeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Going to Pembrokeshire next week, staying in a cottage near Moylgrove. Just wondered if anyone could recommend places to visit? Going with my missus so doesn't have to be bushcrafty necessarily but we both like outdoors and historical stuff.

Thanks!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Up in Moylgrove you are near my patch!
You have to visit
Castell Henlys Iron Age Fort
Nevern - Church with Bleeding Yew trees, Celtic Cross, Ogham/Latin Stones and Norman Castle)
Carn Ingli Mountain and Common (Hill Fort where St Brynach communed with Angels and where some rocks - notably his pillow - will spin compass needles.)
Cilgerran - gorge walk, castle, wildlife park.
Preseli Hills (more ancient sites than you can shake a stick at)
Pentre Ifan Cromlech
The Coast Path between Cardigan and Newport
Newport

I could go on and on ... if the cottage is a good one it may even have a copy of my book "Heritage Walks in Pembrokeshire" on its shelves or my "Discovering Pembrokeshire by Bicycle"... I might even be able to loan you a copy if they don't have one...

If you fancy a quick meet up I could point you at some juicy places to visit and if you fancy a night at the theatre the Attic Players in Newcastle Emlyn (about 15 miles away) are putting on a production of "Curtain Up" on the Friday and Saturday ... I will be selling raffle tickets front of house :)
Whatever you do - have fun!

Brynglas

As John says, Cilgerran gorge, Castle and the Wetlands centre are well worth a visit. Newport is lovely and has a couple of decent pubs and places to eat. St David's isn't far away and it's lovely there. For a nice evening meal just south of Fishguard it's worth a trip to The Ship Inn at Trefin or The Sloop at Porthgain, both nice places in lovely spots. A walk up the Gwaun Valley between Fishguard and Newport is also worth considering, beautiful countryside and coastline.

There are a couple of lovely spots on the coast just North of Cardigan; Aberporth and Penbryn are nice beaches to visit.

Really though, it's worth just exploring. The area is beautiful both on the coast and inland and the coastal path in that area accesses some amazing dramatic scenery.

This time of year is a good time to go as things will be quieter when the schools go back. Plenty of opportunity for foraging/ fruit picking at this time of year as well.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thankyou all for your responses and recommendations! Nothing like a bit of local knowledge :).

Castel Henllys looks great and the Preseli hills were a big part of what drew me to the area, that and the coast of course. All packed up and ready to go in the morning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE