Pelt/Skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I generally scrape the fat/meat off, pile salt on them, stretch them out and dry them. After that, I put them in sulphuric acid of about 6% solution, leaving all the salt on the hide, and soak them for 24 h. Then dry. After that, they are normally pretty soft and ready to use, but if not you can moisten them slightly with water and vigourously scrumple them up.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
The Goat skins I just got, still needed some scrapping and I enjoyed sitting on the floor scrapping using my knife and a wooden door wedge, which I found helped remove lots. I then applied some rap seed oil and dried them. I am making some moccs and a pouch for my hobo/billy

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
where can you buy sulphuric acid?

Generally, building and plumbers suppliers will stock it, sold as "drain cleaner". It'll probably be in a bottle in a cardboard box, covered in warnings. Be very careful, neat it is a very strong acid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE