Pellet or poop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
It looks like our friend the Raven. They eat dead animals and also mice, voles and the like. But they'll also eat some seed and berries. What the bird can't digest it brings it up and spits it out. I can't see very well from the picture but the berries may just be the remains of old berry skins?.

Never heard or seen of Eagle, Hawk or owl eating seed or fruit.

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
The area is well populated by raven so that might explain the blend of berries and furrier material! I think those are the shell of Rowan berry (Sorbus aucuparia). Thank you again.

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
Googling further I found the following on the website www.isleofharris.com:

Many birds, including Ravens regurgitate any bits of food that they cannot digest by coughing it up in a ball called a pellet, once a day or so. Raven pellets can often be found on hill tops or promontories where they spend a lot of time perching. By pulling their pellets apart it’s possible to find out exactly what your local Ravens have been eating. Although they will scavenge on dead lambs and take bird eggs through the spring you will find that many of their pellets are full of beetles and even rowan berries at other times of year.

Everyday is a schoolday! :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tahkahikew has been schooled by his elders to read his world.
That's my simplistic explanation for the native success.
The rest of us are on our own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE