Peanut lighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aarya

Oct 5, 2006
Norway
I don`t think they are all that resistant to wind. A zippo would be better i think, without having handled one yet. I have a couple on order, so i can get back to you on that.
But if you cup your hands around it.. Well.. Should be better than a bic atleast.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Traderran: Thanks for posting about the peanut lighter. I must have been one of the few people on the planet who didn't know about them. LOL.

They look like a great bit of gear. Think I'll be ordering, soon! People on this website sure do cost me lots of money. First, the Moras, then, the EnZo, now the Peanut, Stop the maddness!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
They look like a great bit of gear. Think I'll be ordering, soon! People on this website sure do cost me lots of money. First, the Moras, then, the EnZo, now the Peanut, Stop the maddness!

Ferrari enzo? :eek:

ferrari-enzo-2.jpg

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I got one a while ago from deal extreme - very cheap and good value BUT I found that the screw top kept coming undone - the one time I actually wanted to use it - to light the candle in a restaurant (romantic or what!?) the bottom had come away and just leaving the top. So now I fill it with fuel and wrap insulating tape around it to stop that happening again.

PS don't be surprised if you get lots of spam e-mails after your order

Fantastic simple bit of kit I think I'll go for the original

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The deal extreme ones have a rounded bottom so you can't stand them up on a flat surface and have your hands free. But still good value and plenty small enough to put on a key ring.

Glad to hear hear that other people have not been spammed

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Simple, it does not have any !:D

So true....but it will have fluid for a long long long long time....where a Zippo will be dry-as-a-bone in a week or so.

The stainless flat bottom version is on my key ring...to be neglected until needed.

I top it up with fluid about every year...so far it has never failed me like every other lighter (except disposable Bics) have done....just don't blow on it too hard.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
My two have turned up. The only lighters I have used / owned up to now have been disposable non refillable ones. I've asked everywhere I can think of round my way but can't find lighter fluid anywhere. Where can I get the lighter fluid and does anyone have instructions on how to fill one?

Thanks all.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
You can get the fuel from the cigarette 'stall' at a supermarket eg Sainsbury's.

You fill the lighter by unscrewing the top half from the bottom half - you should be able to see a black rubber grommett at the join.

You then grasp the bottom aluminium casing in one hand and the grind wheel in the other and pull - the casing holding the cotton wool then comes out - attached to the grind wheel.

You can then fill it from the bottom. This will also give you access if you need to change thewick (but I haven't done that yet). Reassembly is just the reverse.

I found that the two halves tend to come apart and so keep a piece of sticky tape round the lighter - this also helps to stop the fuel evaporating

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
You can get the fuel from the cigarette 'stall' at a supermarket eg Sainsbury's.

You fill the lighter by unscrewing the top half from the bottom half - you should be able to see a black rubber grommett at the join.

You then grasp the bottom aluminium casing in one hand and the grind wheel in the other and pull - the casing holding the cotton wool then comes out - attached to the grind wheel.

You can then fill it from the bottom. This will also give you access if you need to change thewick (but I haven't done that yet). Reassembly is just the reverse.

I found that the two halves tend to come apart and so keep a piece of sticky tape round the lighter - this also helps to stop the fuel evaporating

Thanks very much for that. Much appreciated. Forgive the daft questions but do I tip the main gubbins upside down and add enough to make the cotton wool wet or do if fill the casing then drop the gubbins back in?

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Sorry for delay - I forgot what posts I have made.

I just tip the innards upside down - so that the open end with the felt pad sitting on the
?cotton wool is on top - and then squirt/drip lighter fuel on the pad until it drips out the 'bottom' through the wick.

So best to do it outside or over a sink. You will need to let the flint/serrated wheel dry before you can light it

david__

Gold Trader
I picked up a couple from a European web shop.

A few thoughts in reply to some posts here...

The lighters are handy, waterproof, and downright cool for both outdoor and everyday use.
They don't perform well in windy conditions. You have to block out the wind completely.
You can get "Zippo" Lighter fluid in just about any smoke shop.

It's easy to refill. Just remove the lighter body from the case. Lift up the cotton pad. Begin filling the fluid until the internal cotton stuffing is soaked, but don't create a swimming pool of fluid. Replace the cotton pad. Return the lighter tube to the case. Turn the lighter up-side-down for a few seconds to evenly distribute the fluid. Wash your hands and any fluid that has spilled.

There are quite a few YouTube videos about peanut lighters.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I had a couple of cheapos and they're pretty good, but I recently got this Split Pea lighter from here;

http://www.endtimesreport.com/survival_shop.html

It's run by a guy called Miles who is a real pleasure to deal with and will keep your shipping as low as possible. And there's some cool stuff.

Here's the Split pea in my clammy hand. It's tiny but very heavy, solid stainless steel.

24062009036.jpg

24062009041.jpg

david__

Gold Trader
Wow. Nice lighters! I checked out that site. They carry some interesting tools. The peanut lighters are a bit cheaper at a shop called gearupeurope.com. But it looks like you've got a different model than mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE