Parang XL Mini Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I did a lot of work in the garden on Monday and took down a very large budlea. I pushed it so hard I chipped and rolled the edge which is in the process of being convexed by me.

I had a bit of carving to do to get the handle a bit more comfortable but I still got hot spots and will probably re - do mine myself with tufnol. So - thicken the blade edge a tad and a smooth handle and it's damn near perfect. Nothing I can't do myself really so it's all good.

The little dimples in the handle are actually OK. The placement of the bolt holes and lanyard are just in the wrong place though. They are perfectly located to give your hand a hard rubbing on all the high grip points. If they were moved aroung slightly, they would be OK. I am going to get it rehandled, but I may try it out with paracord and friction tape before I do, just to see the difference even that may make.

If there aren't any lightening holes under the scales, and maybe even if there are some, the bolts could be relocated and the weight removal from drilling more holes would have the effect of making it a bit more blade heavy.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I reckon it could do with a tad more weight...

More blade weight?

Absolutely. As Dougster has said, with more weight and new handle, it'd be perfect.

For the XL I have to agree with you there. I'm not too fussed about the actual weight, I think it's fine, but I feel that the blade has been thinned a shade too much and it makes it a bit too delicate. There have been reports of bending and rolling the edge, I've done that myself and straightened it out on the anvil easily enough, but I now feel that I have to be more careful with the blade than I'd like. I feel that the 6" doesn't suffer in this respect, the blade feels much more solid, but I can't abide the handle -- it's way too small for my hands, so I don't use it.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
dont think it matters the grind looks like it takes all the weight out espesially at the front end dropping the gring hight to 1/2 at that point and convexin to the edge would improve it IMO (just from looking at pics not actually using it or holding one ;) )

yeah, but it's good to know the starting thickness anyway. :D

For the XL I have to agree with you there. I'm not too fussed about the actual weight, I think it's fine, but I feel that the blade has been thinned a shade too much and it makes it a bit too delicate. There have been reports of bending and rolling the edge, I've done that myself and straightened it out on the anvil easily enough, but I now feel that I have to be more careful with the blade than I'd like.

That can usually be helped a bit by reprofiling the edge. Remove the edge down to a flat and then change the secondary bevel to a little steeper grind or even convexing it at that point. Depends on the steel and the hardness though. If it is a really low RC it may not help much

Last edited:

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
the Parang 6" is 6 mm thickness with a RC 59-60 Rockwell, and you may bring down almost all trees if you want. My only compliant with the Parang 6" is about the handle, too thin and elaborate with me.
The Parang XL is 3,5 mm thickness with a RC 56-57. The aim of the XL project was a Parang easy to use also for many hours for fresh woods. The hardness was choose so low to avoid breaks of the blade (a bend blade may fixed also on field) in case of contact with hard woods, stones etc.
Let's say the Parang 6" is an all-around camp-knife, the Parang XL is a more specialized knife, and so more delicate on a field use.
I guess if you want a Parang XL more robust a convex edge could help a bit.
Alfredo

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
If you are going to go into Jungle conditions I would consider what the locals are using .... or check first before you go .....

Personally I have tried to find the ideal knife for these conditions for what seems to be "years" .... Valiant have supplied some nice ones for my uses but making the most of modern steels I have never found the "ideal" Parang shape ..... using the steel I would like .... being made by the right "western" maker .... and the Fox offering seems way off on comfort ..... and the steel thinness and temper don't look an ideal choice for hard wood ....

Valiant do a similar shape to the Fox in their Sumatra range which is thicker and much better on grip comfort ... that would be the closest to what you have in the Fox shape with suitability and comfort increased.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE