Parang Project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Hey Guys I made this parang blade modeled after the style of one in the GEM SAS survival guide it is larger then the one they have but I have also started on to the measurements given in the book. For now here s the larger version with a blade of 12 inches and an overall length of 17 inches. From 3/16 1095 stock.
parang1.jpg

parang2.jpg

parang3.jpg

parang4.jpg

parang5.jpg

Abe

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ohh now theres a pretty thing!

Absolutely beautiful lines & the right thickness!

Promise you'll convex her and give her "formed" ironwood scales

A real beauty!

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
British Red said:
:D

But it was in poor taste :eek:

Red

My wife's german and she would have seen the funny side! It's like the old Basil Fawlty sketch "Don't mention the war...!" :rolleyes:

Anyway, me back on topic now, have you gone for the same profile along the whole blade or have you changed it like it is in the books? I seem to remember there were three different profiles mentioned by Lofty, can't check as my books have been packed away. Fine near the handle for feather sticks, the grind in the middle isn't so fine for rough chopping work and the like, can't remember what the tip was ground like. Does that sound familiar?

spamel said:
My wife's german and she would have seen the funny side! It's like the old Basil Fawlty sketch "Don't mention the war...!" :rolleyes:

Anyway, me back on topic now, have you gone for the same profile along the whole blade or have you changed it like it is in the books? I seem to remember there were three different profiles mentioned by Lofty, can't check as my books have been packed away. Fine near the handle for feather sticks, the grind in the middle isn't so fine for rough chopping work and the like, can't remember what the tip was ground like. Does that sound familiar?

yep and fine at the tip again for detail work works well 2 if you use it properly

atb

Duncan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
spamel said:

The Wiseman was was unreally strong (and heavy) ...7mm stock where this is 4.5 .....
still thick though for what I had in mind :(

Red

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
That looks fantastic to me, very similar to a design i have had in my head/on napkins and the like for quite a while now. I'd be interedted to see more pictures when you done!

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
This is the fiorst one of its kind and I will be using Black paperr Micarta to start I can get a polished horn look from it.

As I mentioned I will be making a smaller version as well to the measurements of the one in the book and I ground all 3 zones in the the sweet spot being the chopper area but all will be seamless.

I will convex that to and edge and hand finish it the buff it so there is hopefully no transistion ridge from edge to body.

As for orders we can't really talk baout that here it is against forum rulew I believe to solicit.

If you are interested I will leave it up tp you to contact me at your leasure but pleasenot on posts I like to keep coming here.

Abe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE