Parachute to hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Hope this is the reyt place to ask ?

Ive tried searchin to no avail :(

has anyone constructed a hammy from a parachute ? Constructed as in cut up and sewn up ?

I have a civillian parachute somewhere amongst my gear. It has no strings or webbing. I cant afford a decent hammock at present and am wondering if the chute with all its seams would make one or more GOOD hammock ?

Cheers folks

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
May be not the answer you are looking for, but my tip would be flog your Parachute and buy a hammock. Easier, cheaper and more likely to work

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I havent made a hammock from a parachute, but I have made them from ripstop parachute nylon. It makes great hammocks.

As long as you have a flat panel of fabric with no tears around 1.5m wide x 3m long, you are good to go.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cheers for replies so far....

Its a full size chute in bushy blue & white lol. Plenty of size for them dimensions, its just all the seams that make up the panels that could be a problem.

Any ideas on the value of an unusable chute ?
Cheers

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
I have made a hammock from a parachute about 35 yrs ago [ex SE fitt], but used a chute with the rigging still attached
cut out a segment of 6 to 8 gores and about 4 panels [or the length you require]. cut the 6 or 8 rigging lines about six feet from the periphery of the chute and at the apex and pull out of the rest of the gores. the rigging should be attached at the periphery. Fold the 6 or 8 gores so that you have 3 or 4 rigging lines on each side. then just braid and knot the rigging lines together
If you have a sewing machine or access to a friendly WRAF, where you cut the panels at the opposite end from the periphery after you fold the chute fold over the material and sandwich between 2 pieces of tape and also trap or sew the rigging lines, you could also sew down the edges of each side of the folded gores to deep them in place

regards
Stu

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cheers for that. Sounds like more graft than worth:-(
the sale option might be best.

Anyone an idea of what they sell for ? Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE