Paleo diet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Actually I would rather we did things in the traditional way and deal with the population issue that's driving intensive agriculture.

Nature has a way of rebalancing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Actually I would rather we did things in the traditional way and deal with the population issue that's driving intensive agriculture.

Nature has a way of rebalancing things.

As I see it the problem with the 'traditional' way is how far back do you want to go? what period? Roman? Medieval? Amish? 1950's? I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of 'regressing' to a rose tinted, perfect simpler time. I'm for progress but sustainable and ethically/morally balanced progress.
Also do we really want to produce less food globally? I may not like the high number of people on the planet but I don't wish starvation on anyone. Why should the poorest suffer because of the greed of big business practices.
The biggest problem as I see it, and one we are more likely to be able to solve, is the amount of food wasted. I saw a very startling statistic on the bbc news the other day that I think more than 50% of food in the USA is wasted. It is often reported as a country the UK throw out 1/3 of all food bought. How can it be right that with so much food produced and able to be bought that people go hungry and not just developing countries, think food banks in this country.....

An end to capitalism! Revolution!......

Whoops! forgot what forum I was on for a moment... :)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I'm a small holder. We rarely use drugs or supplements. That's my vision of sustainable.

I think we will avoid the political debate.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How far back do we need to go? Not very far. Back to the ice-box days, pre-electric refrigerator, is plenty far enough.

I learned to make pizza crust (aka flat bread) before I learned to make loaves of leavened bread.
10,000(?) years of a bowl, a stick and a clay oven turned out not to be too hard to fake in this day and time.
Making my own bread every week for 20+ years is still one of my real kitchen pleasures.
There's some sort of a Zen thing that happens when I'm kneading the dough. My head comes back
when I sense the increasing resistance from the developing gluten.
In recent years, I've added others like focaccia, fougasse, baguettes, bread stars and assorted bun-shaped things.

What's coming this winter? Baking experiments with corn flour, dal flour, various other wheats (Spelt, Emmer, etc)
purely for the hell of it. Besides bready things, I want to mess with making all sorts of different (belgian) waffles.
As it is, I use about 20% buckwheat flour in these. Can tell you = 30% cocoa works + whipped cream & strawberries.

Why? Because I cannot buy what I want to eat. These simple things have slipped into the past.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Personally I try to eat and cook what my great grandparents did. Generally speaking - "pre WW1 European countryside".
Plus own caught fish I bring down from Norway.
And to spice it up a bit, my home made hot sauces. We are now cooking some more, but I need to go and buy some more peppers after work.

I love baking, but have had some failures since moving to the Caribbean.
I used to let the dough leaven over night, but that does not work so well here!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fair enough. Pre WW I is about right for my thinking for the technology in the availability of prepared convenience foods.
I'll never include things like ground herbs and spices as too advanced.

I use enough yeast that my rise times are about 35 minutes or so. I don't want to mess with the bread for 2 days.
I refer to Gisslen: Professional Baking, a Cordon Bleu School text book. Other bread & baking books, too.
While I use a Hamilton Beach mixer for all the bready things, I have always used a bowl and a stick for pizza dough.

My bigger problem here at 53N is that my flour temp can be as low as 12C in the winter (looking at -15C to -20C outside.)
That's a great shock to the yeastie-beasties (as I call them). Sure, long slow cool ferments can add to the flavor of the bread.
As I tend to run my kitchen at about 18C in the winter, trying to see 25C for baking is a puzzle.
The break-even point is about 21C, which I can get with a small electric heater and pre-heating the oven.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bread making's easy if you have a microwave.
You simply use a bowl that will fit into the microwave, and occasionally give the dough ten second bursts. Just leave it in there to rise. No draughts, no hassle, nice and snug and it rises gently :)

I don't want to eat the kind of food my grandparents did….singed sheep's heid was my Grandpa's dish of choice….that's roasted brains, (he was in his late nineties when he died, in full command of himself too) and he liked Cullen Skink…fish soup with milk and oats, or crappit heir made from the heads of meaty fish stuffed and poached until the meat's ready to fall off and the salmon bones are soft. Haggis was a perennial favourite too. Right enough he didn't like milk in Winter or eggs then either. He said that it wasn't natural, so he just waited patiently until Springtime. He couldn't be bothered with that tinned muck with no taste either, even if it was useful in wartime. I'm sure we still have a couple of marrow scoops somewhere. Right enough, HWMBLT likes potted hough.

Now take all those forefather type meals and spread them out across Europe, so that you have folks using what they have, what's available in season, and that I think truly is paleolithic dining.

Frogs, snails, woodlice, ant eggs….all food that humans have (and do) happily consume.

Yeah, I'm not that hungry, thankfully.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I like slow raised bread, strong wheat and Rye, 50/50 mix, with Caraway seeds.
If leaved from one day till next, it does a bit of lactic acid fermentation. But here the Lactic Acid bugs are different, they turn the dough rancid smelling.
I tried to leave it in my wine room ( 56 F) and kitchen ( 79F) but not a good result.
White bread id quick raised and fine to make here, but I do not like white bread.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I don't want to eat the kind of food my grandparents did….singed sheep's heid was my Grandpa's dish of choice….that's roasted brains, (he was in his late nineties when he died, in full command of himself too) and he liked Cullen Skink…fish soup with milk and oats, or crappit heir made from the heads of meaty fish stuffed and poached until the meat's ready to fall off and the salmon bones are soft. Haggis was a perennial favourite too. Right enough he didn't like milk in Winter or eggs then either. He said that it wasn't natural, so he just waited patiently until Springtime. He couldn't be bothered with that tinned muck with no taste either, even if it was useful in wartime. I'm sure we still have a couple of marrow scoops somewhere. Right enough, HWMBLT likes potted hough.

Now take all those forefather type meals and spread them out across Europe, so that you have folks using what they have, what's available in season, and that I think truly is paleolithic dining.

Frogs, snails, woodlice, ant eggs….all food that humans have (and do) happily consume.

Yeah, I'm not that hungry, thankfully.

M

That is some interesting "ethnic" food there!
I do eat Cods Tongues and cheeks. Have eaten Cods Head, but it is messy to prepare and eat, so I do not these days.

I must have a few Chinese bits of DNA, if it moves I will eat it at least once!

But even the old folks were picky. One granddad, born 1895 or so, refused to eat any seafood except fish. But never Eel.
Because they feed on muck and dead things.

Woodlice sounds very Vietnam.

I tried Ants and unborn off spring at a Ray Mears course. Nice. Like Sourdrops that walk.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll guess that the above "meaty" things are a reflection of what's available.
Not hard to imagine that there was some culinary ingenuity in the preparation.

"Strong" wheat has a high protein & gluten protein content. With that, you can add maybe 20% (by weight) other sorts of flours.
"Weak" flour is pastry flour, low gluten and a weak crumb for cakes & cookies.
"All-Purpose" is an intermediate gluten (for us, high for others) that I buy as 10kg (22lb) bags, 2 or 3 at a time.
I add light rye some times, most always what's called "best-for-bread" which is a multigrain mix. Fantastic taste and smell toasted.
In the beginning, I made plain white with top grade Canadian flour. Frankly, got tired of the sameness but you gotta start somewhere.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They were actively chosen as choice pieces in the past. A stuffed heart was a delicacy at one point….though I never, ever, got the appeal of sliced tongue, and the less said about tripe the better I think. I know some folks love it, but it (no pun intended) always turns my stomach just to see it, let alone think of eating it. Sweetbreads ? not to my taste either, or liver or kidneys.

Haggis and black pudding, are still very much mainstream food here.

M

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
It’s strange how a lot of foods are avoided, rejected, boked at etc. simply on their looks or peoples first impressions or assumptions….Having worked on and off around fish most of my life it’s something I have always seen and been aware of…..When running a wet fish shop for a few years we had to sell Cat fish as ‘Rock’ because people simply would not buy Cat Fish…similarly Dog fish was sold as ‘Woof’….when the Cod wars were on and Cod was in short supply (plus when it started to become obvious that overfishing really needed alternatives to Cod) Experiments were done in both Grimsby and Hull to try and persuade people to try new things….deep Sea fish such as Scabbard and Blue Whiting were tried and the general opinion was ‘very nice’ at least until people saw what they looked like and how ‘ugly’ they were then no one would touch them. The fact is there is only one food and I use the word ‘food’ with reservation that should not be eaten under any circumstances unless you have a brain the size of a Weasel’s wedding tackle and that is Tripe.

D.B.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Last Thursday morning, an 18mos old beef was butchered and that same day, I was over-eating liver with both bacon and onions by 6PM.
Heated and ate the rest of that pkg the next night. 7 pkgs to go, all free, and more where that came from.

OTOH, my brother would have had a hissy fit. He can't stand the smell/taste/texture of liver.
Which all makes me wonder how much of a sense of taste is genetic and how much is habit/custom?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They were actively chosen as choice pieces in the past. A stuffed heart was a delicacy at one point….

Moose heart, stuffed with diced bacon and minced moose, cooked as a pot roast....

though I never, ever, got the appeal of sliced tongue,

When I served it on medieval banquets I found that if it was sliced up and piled on a plate it was eaten, but sliced and served in it's original shape no one wanted it. Silly folks, that was the good stuff, studded with cloves and very tasty indeed.

Haggis and black pudding, are still very much mainstream food here.

Black pudding is standard fare here in Sweden as well, while our version of haggis -- pölsa -- is with a boiled dish made with barley, with beef, pork and whatever as the meat fraction (I prefer moose) -- is not as popular with the younger generation who were brought up on pizza, chicken nuggets, tacos and hamburgers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE