Pain Relief from Ancient History

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
cranmere, I heard that Birch and Aspen can be used as you described. Have you had the chance to try them? Unfortunately, these trees do not grow near me. So I will have to travel to learn more about them.

- Woodsorrel
Only in their refined forms. Methyl salicylate is the stuff that smells like Germolene or root beer and turns up in some linaments.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Have you used willow bark as an analgesic

''White Poplar'' trees have similar medicinal uses to willow as well, it is said white poplar bark has pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties and can help with arthritis and rheumatism, and also help with other things like diarrhoea too.

"Bamboggy"!!!! Its a good job I don't take offence too easy Mary! Lol ;)

I've used meadowsweet roots for a hunger headache while on a survival course in Sweden a few years ago.....it taste like germalean but it did work very well.

Woodsorrel, I was in a very bad way....I can only discribe it as spraying brown water at both ends. I was unable to keep anything down including water for more than about 3 minute before it all came right back up. I was actually at the point where I was willing to go see an Indian quack as I was getting a bit scared that I would dehydrate (I couldnt keep water down let alone diaralite or similar). I made it down to the road outside where I was staying and the nice Nepaleese man I had been chatting to a few days before came running over as soon as he saw me. He sat me down and telling me to wait he rushed off. He was back in a few minutes with a small tea pot and a cup. He poured a cup and insisted I drink it.....I did somewhat reluctantly and it stayed down, he then made me drink and second cup and then a third to finish including the bits of debris at the bottom. I swear I felt better by the third cup and about an hour later I was out clubbing until the early hours :)

I spoke to the guy a few days later and he explained what was in the tea pot. A whole ginger root, chopped in thin rings....boiling water and a tiny teaspoon of honey (he said the honey was for taste not effect). I've used this many times since and also done it for my wife when I took her to India and she got the runs.....it really really works.....to the point where even now 20+ years later I still keep a ginger root in my freezer for "emergencies" lol :)

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

so the guy just poured boiling water over the ginger?! (== not boiling it for a few minutes) does it have to be fresh or could you also eat (slower-working of course!) the candied ginger sold in supermarkets in some countries?!
as there many members in the ginger family- can they all be used or only the roots of zingiber officinalis?! ( there is a smaller member of the ginger family grown for kitchen use here in japan so i'm trying to find out if it would be useful, too)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
so the guy just poured boiling water over the ginger?! (== not boiling it for a few minutes) does it have to be fresh or could you also eat (slower-working of course!) the candied ginger sold in supermarkets in some countries?!
as there many members in the ginger family- can they all be used or only the roots of zingiber officinalis?! ( there is a smaller member of the ginger family grown for kitchen use here in japan so i'm trying to find out if it would be useful, too)

As I said, he chopped up the ginger root into thin rounds, poured boiling water over it, added a tiny tea spoon of honey, let it brew and then made me drink a whole small pot of it including the little bits at the bottom (I didn't eat any of the chopped rounds as they wouldn't fit out through the spout).
The ginger was fresh, I don't know if candied ginger would work.....if it did then maybe ginger beer or ginger cake would work too? I just don't know I'm afraid.

As for your other questions....sorry my friend, I have no idea, I'm neither a herbalist or a biologist :( Be interested to hear what you find out though....maybe try a google search and see what comes up :)

Sorry I can't help more.....it was getting on for 20 years ago! Lol

Bam. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bam, huge apologies :eek: :eek:
My only excuse is that the new computer's operating system does a blasted spell checking thing and it's a thrice damned nightmare. It keeps changing words…..heaven knows what it thought of Bambodoggy :rolleyes: and I had to write that out three times and click on a thingie to say that yes, I did mean to write that !

M

The spell checker I use highlights a word its not familiar with and if I 'right click' the option to 'add to dictionary' is there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine seems to have a lag time, and I touch type and I'm away past the oddity by the time the machine fixes it :rolleyes: I have a tiny wee square with a cross in it that I have to click on beside the queried word to make it accept my spelling, and it only accepts it for that particular use :sigh:
It's a pain, because I also type out the smilie codes, and that's as bad as Bam's name change.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It surely must be possible to just turn it off, Mary? Surely they don't include such software without an off switch of some description? I'd be beyond rage if I found such a thing on a computer of mine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My son gave me another Apple mini, but this one was upgraded/redone and totally renewed by him and HWMBLT, now it's all whistles and bells, and programs that I haven't a clue how to use.
I'm, "resistant to change!", says Son1 :sigh: and they've told me to get used to the new one since they've dismantled the older one.

I've been more stressed out just trying to get the blasted thing to log on reliably to the net instead of swanning around looking busy and not finding any one of the three networks available in the house, to start fussing over the blasted spellchecker too.
I 'think' they've solved the internet issue, so now I'm starting to get ratty about the other bits that really irritate me. This one is next for the order of the size 3 boot.

Sorry for the thread derail wood sorrel :eek:

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE