Willow Bark Pain Relief

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
xylaria said:
IMHO alot of the harm that was caused by poor use of herbal remedies was because they sent intelligent and educated women like Toddy to the witch pire.
QUOTE]

I agree and is not wisdom the application of knowledge?

But I think it's important to remember the difference between herbalists and the historical cultural need and practice for using plants as medicines. My understanding is that modern herbalism differs a great deal from this.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:
I know that meadowsweet and liquorice root are also very effective, but to be honest liquorice is a vasodilator and it just adds another layer of issues to the mix; if someone is sensitive to it (I am, it can trigger migraine :( ) it's more trouble than it's worth usually......and I don't care how safe it's supposed to be, it's used as a cheap filler/ flavour boost in many packaged fruit teas, it ought to be treated with a bit more regard.
Crikey Toddy, I have eaten loads of licorice root recently, as it helped me to stop smoking... :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jon Pickett said:
Crikey Toddy, I have eaten loads of licorice root recently, as it helped me to stop smoking... :eek:

I love liquorice but it doesn't like me :( and I'm not alone.
It is a *very* useful plant but it needs to be thought about for many folks, not just dished out as an, "Oh, and you'll take this." kind of thing.
I'm not surprised that it was useful in helping you to stop smoking, it probably quietly mimiced the edge of the rush from nicotine without the addictive qualities.

Hope it worked. Tobacco too is a useful plant but most modern 'tobaccos' are enhanced with so many additives and addiction enhancers that it's a chemical nightmare.

cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:
I love liquorice but it doesn't like me :( and I'm not alone.
It is a *very* useful plant but it needs to be thought about for many folks, not just dished out as an, "Oh, and you'll take this." kind of thing.
I'm not surprised that it was useful in helping you to stop smoking, it probably quietly mimiced the edge of the rush from nicotine without the addictive qualities.

Hope it worked. Tobacco too is a useful plant but most modern 'tobaccos' are enhanced with so many additives and addiction enhancers that it's a chemical nightmare.

cheers,
Toddy
Yeah, I stopped smoking in january, and licorice root definately helped.... I never had had had had any side effects on it and have been recomending it to everyone, maybe I should not... I found by breaking the stem in half and then chewing it down, it was something to fiddle with and stick in your mouth, and the fibers in the wood would clean my teeth and suposedly clean the stomach ??
It certainly helped with the cigarette cravings and I love the taste of it, though I did find many of the roots differ in taste......
Btw Toddy, if you ever need any plants that grow down in this area, but not yours, give us a shout, I would be happy to send some to you....
That is, if I can find some.... ;)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I used to chew liorice root all the time when I was a kid and still love it now.
Never thought of it as an anti-smoking aid, will try that - though I would feel a bit odd stood in the pub munching on a stick!

This thread is ace by the way - I recently picked up a "collins nature guide - hebrs and healing plants" for £2.99 and its something that really fascinates me.

Toddy et al, glad you don't mind having your brains picked

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got that one too :) it's a neat and handy one to carry about :cool:

Thank you kindly Jon, I'll remember and if I can find something up this way that you're in need of, let me know?

I really wish I knew an awful lot more and I do admire those who make the effort to train thoroughly. Moonraker posts brilliant responses to questions like the one that started this thread, and gives so much detail :notworthy

I still find it easiest to learn by going walkabout with someone who really knows their area and what grows in it; it's amazing what you pick up :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE