Packing for a 50 mile hike.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I've got some sudocrem (zinc oxide cream) would that do the same job? The dyneema's just as spare cordage but lighter than 550.

It will however, unlike the tape, the cream is wet....there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to distance hiking: powdered and dry or wet and slippery....both help reduce friction and both have merits but it is purely down to preference, the zinc oxide helps heal any rubbing the dry/wet helps to prevent friction, friction that leads to blisters.

As soon as you feel a heat spot, stop and deal with it else it will worsen, don't try and walk it off.

Last edited:

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I did 74 miles last week with a one day break to dry out ( was walking with the kids and the tent was saturated due to torrential rain). I was glad of the chance to drop 4kg! Went from 16 to 12kg. I was carrying stuff for the kids too so had loads. Try and get as light as possible . Sounds obvious but it will *really* help.

I ended up losing several items of clothing and non-essential things such as a book and mp3 player.

If you can filter water then go down to 1 container. Will your route take you by a regular source of water?

Only thing i can see to possibly lose is the billy - can the ti mug be used for cooking?

Snozz

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It will however, unlike the tape, the cream is wet....there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to distance hiking: powdered and dry or wet and slippery....both help reduce friction and both have merits but it is purely down to preference, the zinc oxide helps heal any rubbing the dry/wet helps to prevent friction, friction that leads to blisters.

As soon as you feel a heat spot, stop and deal with it else it will worsen, don't try and walk it off.

Best tip ever for blisters. Its amazing what a sit down and air of the stinky plates will do.

I carry a small amount of sheeps wool from Boots in my FAK. Put it over a hot spot or a part that is rubbbing and it halts all friction as it slides over itself. Really good stuff.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull

Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty lucky in that I rarely get blisters. However the longest walk I've done previous to this was 31 miles over 2 days didn't get any blisters but not sure what an extra 20 odd miles might send my way.

I did 74 miles last week with a one day break to dry out ( was walking with the kids and the tent was saturated due to torrential rain). I was glad of the chance to drop 4kg! Went from 16 to 12kg. I was carrying stuff for the kids too so had loads. Try and get as light as possible . Sounds obvious but it will *really* help.

I ended up losing several items of clothing and non-essential things such as a book and mp3 player.

If you can filter water then go down to 1 container. Will your route take you by a regular source of water?

Only thing i can see to possibly lose is the billy - can the ti mug be used for cooking?

Snozz

Cheers Snozz, the Dales way looks great! I was meant to be doing that with a friend but he ended up not being able to make it so I decided on this instead. Maybe next year though :). The ti mug only holds 350ml which isn't enough to re-hydrate my meals (in one go) unfortunately. I've found having 2 cooking vessels to be really useful even if it is a bit of a luxury. The MP3 is just for a bit of 'company' as I'm on my own for this one...

Best tip ever for blisters. Its amazing what a sit down and air of the stinky plates will do.

I carry a small amount of sheeps wool from Boots in my FAK. Put it over a hot spot or a part that is rubbbing and it halts all friction as it slides over itself. Really good stuff.
Sounds interesting is that to do with the lanolin?

Carbolic soap! Where's the carbolic soap? ;)

Alas, Ill just have to make do with 1/2 a bar of dove ;)

Last edited:

flyfisher

Feb 26, 2013
leeds
your kit looks good on your second revision .only thing i can think of other than what other people have said try to pool some of the kit with your freinds ie cooking kit fak,ect my old sarge bash used to say when asked what kit should we carry he used to say if it dosent fit in your pockets you dont need it;):lmao:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Not sure about the Lanolin, I would imagine it's mostly stripped out when it's sterilised. Still super slippy though against itself-when you roll it between your fingers, there's virtually no friction. It's especially good between rubbing toes.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
well about all I can talk about are things I've done to reduce my pack weight but I am not sure how applicable they are for your system - everyone's system is a little different and I suspect that mine is a bit unusual

food prep: during the warmer months I go stoveless and just use a plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid for rehydration - I add water to the food to be rehydrated put on the lid and hike for a few miles before eating. Bowl also used for breakfast cereal and for dipping water. Much of the food I use is bulk packed to reduce the package weight - "5 minute" rice, instant refried beans, cereal - three bags for five days worth of food.

sleep system - here I have not found anyone to use the system that I use but I doubt it would be useful in an area without trees - basically a down insulated sling chair tied to a tree with a tarp over to keep rain off - the sleeping bag I use has arms and a draw string foot so it can be used as a jacket/long coat eliminating the need for added clothing for in camp use. Currently I am waiting on a cuben tarp to replace the tarp I currently use (a 3mx3m sylnylon tarp). I use 200 lb dyneema fishing line for my tarp lines.

loo roll - here I use the single sheet folded paper (ex: http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/view/Kimberly Clark Professional/KCC48280.html ) - this allows me to take only what I reasonably think I will need instead of a large roll - the paper goes into a ziplock type bag with a slit in the side that the paper is pulled through one sheet at a time. This is useful in the rain since the paper can be pulled out while holding the bag upside down keeping the paper dry

blister treatment - needle and cotton thread sanitized with rubbing alcohol (I use a small bottle of rubbing alcohol as hand sanitizer and I never carry soap). For hot spots I use a bit of athletic tape to cover the spot - stays in place better than duct tape

extra clothing - in warmer months I only take an extra pair of socks (I use thin polypro socks) and a pair of briefs - Exofficio or Under Armor

wash cloth - I use a bandanna that I also use for other things

bottles - I use recycled 1L soda bottles - a bit stronger than the water bottles - I never carry a nalgene except in the colder months when I may need a hot water bottle

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
well about all I can talk about are things I've done to reduce my pack weight but I am not sure how applicable they are for your system - everyone's system is a little different and I suspect that mine is a bit unusual

food prep: during the warmer months I go stoveless and just use a plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid for rehydration - I add water to the food to be rehydrated put on the lid and hike for a few miles before eating. Bowl also used for breakfast cereal and for dipping water. Much of the food I use is bulk packed to reduce the package weight - "5 minute" rice, instant refried beans, cereal - three bags for five days worth of food.

sleep system - here I have not found anyone to use the system that I use but I doubt it would be useful in an area without trees - basically a down insulated sling chair tied to a tree with a tarp over to keep rain off - the sleeping bag I use has arms and a draw string foot so it can be used as a jacket/long coat eliminating the need for added clothing for in camp use. Currently I am waiting on a cuben tarp to replace the tarp I currently use (a 3mx3m sylnylon tarp). I use 200 lb dyneema fishing line for my tarp lines.

loo roll - here I use the single sheet folded paper (ex: http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/view/Kimberly Clark Professional/KCC48280.html ) - this allows me to take only what I reasonably think I will need instead of a large roll - the paper goes into a ziplock type bag with a slit in the side that the paper is pulled through one sheet at a time. This is useful in the rain since the paper can be pulled out while holding the bag upside down keeping the paper dry

blister treatment - needle and cotton thread sanitized with rubbing alcohol (I use a small bottle of rubbing alcohol as hand sanitizer and I never carry soap). For hot spots I use a bit of athletic tape to cover the spot - stays in place better than duct tape

extra clothing - in warmer months I only take an extra pair of socks (I use thin polypro socks) and a pair of briefs - Exofficio or Under Armor

wash cloth - I use a bandanna that I also use for other things

bottles - I use recycled 1L soda bottles - a bit stronger than the water bottles - I never carry a nalgene except in the colder months when I may need a hot water bottle

Sorry HOI, missed your reply. Some interesting stuff there, I'd love to see a picture of that sling chair. Can't quite visualise how it all goes together but sounds pretty cool.
Not sure I could go stove-less, far to addicted to caffeine :)!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Managed an overnighter on Sunday and tried out my sleep system. I was plenty warm but I think I need to save weight elsewhere and take a bigger tarp.
I could of set up the poncho a bit more sympathetically to the bivvi bag I guess. But I think for the 300g or so extra I'll take my DD 3x3m...

005_zps6e345be1.jpg

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Managed an overnighter on Sunday and tried out my sleep system. I was plenty warm but I think I need to save weight elsewhere and take a bigger tarp.
I could of set up the poncho a bit more sympathetically to the bivvi bag I guess. But I think for the 300g or so extra I'll take my DD 3x3m...

005_zps6e345be1.jpg
Good call, I always carry a big basha even when trying cut down on weight. If its raining you need a dry admin area otherwise the whole tab would be just miserable. I also (call me a nutter) it's only a tarp hung between trees, but psychologically it makes me feel secure

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Definitely a bigger tarp. Looks a good list Copperhead. Are you planning on doing a write up. I would be really interested to see how you got on. If there was anything you wish you had added in, stuff you didn't need etc. Good luck and I wish you fine weather.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Good call, I always carry a big basha even when trying cut down on weight. If its raining you need a dry admin area otherwise the whole tab would be just miserable. I also (call me a nutter) it's only a tarp hung between trees, but psychologically it makes me feel secure

Aye, somewhere dry to cook and a refuge from the rain are worth the extra weight. I agree about the psychological aspect of it to, I definitely didn't feel confident sleeping under that little poncho. Luckily only had a little rain that night.

Small tarp = you will get wet somewhere along the line:(

Yep thats the conclusion I came to, my bivvi is pretty old too and I haven't used it any serious rain for a while. Reproofed it for this trip so here's hoping its up to the task!

Definitely a bigger tarp. Looks a good list Copperhead. Are you planning on doing a write up. I would be really interested to see how you got on. If there was anything you wish you had added in, stuff you didn't need etc. Good luck and I wish you fine weather.

Thanks Gaudette, yeah I'm taking my camera so lots of pics and I'll put up a trip report.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I did a similar route up there late last week, Had a great time, The weather was pretty good apart from one night, It poured down , Looking forward to your trip report/pics , Have fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE