Packing for a 50 mile hike.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sorry guys, just another kit-list thread ;).

I'm going to do a long distance path next week, a 48 mile hike through the wooded valleys and moorland of the North York Moors national park. I'm going to do it over the course of 5 days which puts me at around 10 miles per day, which is a comfortable distance for me with a full pack.

I've been packing my gear up today, and my packs coming in at around 15kg (that's with food so 18kg with 3l of water added), and that seems a bit on the heavy side. Anyway I could do with some creative suggestions on reducing my kit, I have various different options available to me, so please all comments welcome :).

Shelter
Modded army bivvi (center zip)
Tenth Wonder ponch tarp + Ridgeline and 2 pegs (Also part of my wet weather gear)
Thermarest prolite S
Karrimor global 700 sleeping bag
Army softie jacket (I could replace the summer bag and this for my snugpak softie 9 bag, but this seemed more versatile?)

98a8b2ac-d778-4a1f-b7ae-3899eb96420f_zpsf0a5c72e.jpg

Cook
Open fires aren't an option so relying on my stove here...
Whitebox stove with priming pan and windshield
1l Meths (only 500ml shown here)
Spork
Pot cozy
Lighter
Primus Alutech 1l billy
Waiting on a MyTi cup from alpkit as a second cooking vessel (and mug ;)), could have taken my crusader but seemed wronged somehow as it weighs more than all the rest of my cooking gear combined.

d2c4c53f-a262-44cf-b213-827e6e43f9e4_zps826e472f.jpg

Food
Various home made dehydrated meals enough for 3 full days and 2 half days. Some snacks and lots of 3 in 1's. Probably going to add some snickers which will push the overall weight up. In a dry bag.

290a487f-bb98-46b5-aa07-e13e9b876aa9_zps9a1550db.jpg

Water
3x water bottles
Premac MWP filter
Chlorine tabs in my FAK as a back up.

da76590b-582e-409f-a5b5-e393a52f81b4_zps2477c6ef.jpg

Possibles
Petzyl Tikka +spare batteries
SAK Huntsman
Puukko Knife
Ferro rod
Laplander
Spare lighter
10m Dyneema
Tie wraps (gear repair)
Boot laces
Mini krabs
Sony HX20 camera in case
FAK
Tinder card
Needles and thread
Heliograph
Compass
Ankle Supports (I have dodgy ankles)
Mossie head net
Maps and case

38251fa2-b2ed-4f93-a8dc-c9a0708845c2_zps2b77c28f.jpg

Hygiene
Loo roll
Wet wipes (1/2 pack)
Folding bowl for washing and water collection
Plastic trowel
Tooth brush and paste
Flannel and soap
Washing up liquid and 2 cloths
Hand sanitiser

9cce37bf-289a-47aa-aeda-fe931a33b3bc_zps1d37b29f.jpg

Clothing
Ventile smock
Ventile gaiters
Shemargh (also my pillowcase and towel)
Spare socks
Spare Tshirt
Spare undies
Possum hat and gloves
Worn clothes will be combats and a mid weight fleece etc...

0b9fc109-2703-499d-a14b-a062bef9d167_zpse14f9427.jpg

FAK
Bit more detail on my first aid kit, all the usual stuff plus some midge repel and tick tweezers. Not sure if this is overkill though.

8288a416-34cb-436b-b03a-081e69434aba_zps8db2a573.jpg

Other stuff
Lowe Alpine Outback 65 pack
2x Kohla walking poles
Various exped drybags
Phone
Wallet
Keys
MP3 player

042_zpscd43d84f.jpg

Cheers :D!

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
id bin three water bottles and use a 3l bladder which should save some weight. id also bin laplander, you dont need to process wood and just take one blade. Dont know what other gear you have but id try and combine the jackets. Id take a buffalo 6 shirt or synthetic insulated waterproof and lose the ventile + softie just for weight efficiency.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I like threads like this, planing and so on, what kit to take. I'd be interested in knowing your route Copperhead.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
id bin three water bottles and use a 3l bladder which should save some weight. id also bin laplander, you dont need to process wood and just take one blade. Dont know what other gear you have but id try and combine the jackets. Id take a buffalo 6 shirt or synthetic insulated waterproof and lose the ventile + softie just for weight efficiency.

Cheers BT, I've got a 2l bladder so I could use that and the Nalgene. Fair point on the Laplander, blades wise the SAK lives in my pocket so not really counting that. Its always clothes that add up for me, I'm stuck with the smock as I don't have any other waterproof. But yeah I was undecided on the softie. Will exchange it for a second fleece top, I always worry about the cold but it is august after all :).

I like threads like this, planing and so on, what kit to take. I'd be interested in knowing your route Copperhead.

I'm walking the Tabular Hills trail, done bits of in the past, its a beautiful bit of the world.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The kit looks very reasonable, although I agree the water bottles are unnecessary weight. I use the PET bottles that supermarkets sell water in, a two litre container weighs 40g. Agreed too that you probably don't need a saw.

You could probably save half a kilo if you used wood instead of meths, I think my Emberlit stove for example is only around 350g and that 's a stainless one. The inevitable soot on the pots can be kept off everything else with a couple of freezer bags.

Have you got a breakdown of the weights of most things?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The kit looks very reasonable, although I agree the water bottles are unnecessary weight. I use the PET bottles that supermarkets sell water in, a two litre container weighs 40g. Agreed too that you probably don't need a saw.

You could probably save half a kilo if you used wood instead of meths, I think my Emberlit stove for example is only around 350g and that 's a stainless one. The inevitable soot on the pots can be kept off everything else with a couple of freezer bags.

Have you got a breakdown of the weights of most things?

Thanks Ged. Wood fires are a bit of a no go unfortunately, it would be my ideal choice for weight and satisfaction, wild camping is tolerated but open fires in summer could land me in some trouble :(. I do have a honey stove which would have been my 1st choice.

Individual weights is a bit troublesome as I broke swmbo's digital scales (shhh :bandit:). The main weight is in the food, but not sure I can get any lighter than de-hydrated stuff. Could resupply as there's villages along the way but I was hoping to just visit the pubs :). My backpack is quite heavy at 2.2kg, I could go down to a 45ltr bag at 1.1kg, but its not as comfy, but if I can save some more weight elsewhere that might not be an issue.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
As above, all great suggestions.

I'd also lose the drybags and replace with rubble sacks saving a good chunk of weight.
Take only one knife.
Dump the map case and take ziploc bags instead.
Lose the spare clothes as much as poss-do you really need a spare t-shirt? It august and stuff can be washed and dried inc socks and pants. For 5 days, I'll take spare gruds and 1 spare socks and dry the dirty pair daily after washing.
Lose the hand sanitizer, you have soap.
Lose the trowel-hiking poles work in the moors and the woods will have sticks
Lose the meths and switch to gas-over 5 days gas is much lighter.
Lose the flannel and take a lightweight microfibre cloth instead. Dried baby wipes can be used as flannels too.
Lose the water out of the baby wipes-dry them in the airing cupboard and rehydrate when needed in a little plastic bag.
Lose the bowl and use a rubble sack or your pot if needed.
I'd also slim the FAK down a lot, you'll never need all that antiseptic cream.

I'd add some decent waterproof gaffer tape (Hippo tape is the best) to the hiking pole shafts for gear repair and lose the ties. Also works as first aid-Hippo tape stays stuck.

Hope this helps :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
As above, all great suggestions.

I'd also lose the drybags and replace with rubble sacks saving a good chunk of weight.
Take only one knife.
Dump the map case and take ziploc bags instead.
Lose the spare clothes as much as poss-do you really need a spare t-shirt? It august and stuff can be washed and dried inc socks and pants. For 5 days, I'll take spare gruds and 1 spare socks and dry the dirty pair daily after washing.
Lose the hand sanitizer, you have soap.
Lose the trowel-hiking poles work in the moors and the woods will have sticks
Lose the meths and switch to gas-over 5 days gas is much lighter.
Lose the flannel and take a lightweight microfibre cloth instead. Dried baby wipes can be used as flannels too.
Lose the water out of the baby wipes-dry them in the airing cupboard and rehydrate when needed in a little plastic bag.
Lose the bowl and use a rubble sack or your pot if needed.
I'd also slim the FAK down a lot, you'll never need all that antiseptic cream.

I'd add some decent waterproof gaffer tape (Hippo tape is the best) to the hiking pole shafts for gear repair and lose the ties. Also works as first aid-Hippo tape stays stuck.

Hope this helps :)

Teepee that's great, I'd always thought of meths as a lighter weight option but after doing the maths your quite right. The spare tee was more for the good folks on the train homes benefit, but I take your point :).
Thanks all for the replies, this is just the sort of advice I need. I always fall in the trap of thinking 'but I just might need that...' so thanks for giving me some discipline.
I'll revise my gear and get back to you.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ok so based on your advice, how about this...

Shelter
Tenth Wonder ponch tarp + Ridgeline and 2 pegs (Also part of my wet weather gear)
Thermarest prolite S

Cook
Fire maple remote feed gas stove
350g gas cart
Spork
Pot cozy
Lighter
Primus Alutech 1l billy
Alpkit MyTi cup

Food
Various home made dehydrated meals enough for 3 full days and 2 half days. Some snacks and lots of 3 in 1's.

Water
2l Bladder
1l Nalgene
Premac MWP filter

Possibles
Puukko Knife
Ferro rod
Spare lighter wrapped in duct tape
10m Dyneema
Sony HX20 camera in case
Tinder card
Needles and thread
Heliograph / tick mirror
Compass
Mossie head net
Maps in a ziploc

Hygiene
Loo roll
Tooth brush and paste
Soap + bit of old trek towel
Washing up liquid and 1 cloth

Clothing
Ventile smock
Ventile gaiters
Spare socks
Spare undies
Possum hat and gloves
Extra mid layer fleece

FAK
Midge repel
Assorted plasters
Blister plasters
Lipsyl
2x Blisters Ibuprofen
1x Blister paracetemol
Immodium
Alcohol wipes
tweezers
Chlorine tabs

Other stuff
45l pack
2x Kohla walking poles
Rucksack liner
Phone
Wallet
Keys
MP3 player

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I reckon thats great mate. Personally i would loose the loo roll and take dried baby wipes as they are multi use bog roll, flannel, pot wipe all in one

I always used to take a roll but im a proper convert to dried wipes thanks to teepee

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
A reel of zinc oxide tape and a lipbalm tin of vaseline will help take care of your feet.

I'd lose the shoelaces and use the dyneema instead unless the dyneema is there for a purpose?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers :)
Ok I'll put some in the airing cupboard and give it a go. My mates thought I was mental when I made dehydrated food, not sure I'll tell them I'm dehydrating my bog roll :rolleyes:.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
A reel of zinc oxide tape and a lipbalm tin of vaseline will help take care of your feet.

I'd lose the shoelaces and use the dyneema instead unless the dyneema is there for a purpose?

I've got some sudocrem (zinc oxide cream) would that do the same job? The dyneema's just as spare cordage but lighter than 550.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lots of good advice here, and I can't add much really, except to say that generally I find that I use my Laplander saw more than my knife. I have a spyderco honeybee on my keyring for little cutting jobs, and often find the knife goes unused. The saw rarely does, but then I usually use a woodburning stove.

Depends how you work really. :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cheers :)
Ok I'll put some in the airing cupboard and give it a go. My mates thought I was mental when I made dehydrated food, not sure I'll tell them I'm dehydrating my bog roll :rolleyes:.

Lol, You wont regret it. List is looking good now. Dont know if you ever come across them but i use soap leaves. Thin little paper wafers of soap, great all round cleaner and weigh nowt. Lifeventure do them for about £4-5 but i got a load recently in wilko for 50p each. Anyhow one for the future if you come across them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250981049...&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ok so based on your advice, how about this...

Shelter
Thermarest prolite S

Cook
Fire maple remote feed gas stove
350g gas cart
Spork
Pot cozy
Lighter
Primus Alutech 1l billy
Alpkit MyTi cup

Food
Various home made dehydrated meals enough for 3 full days and 2 half days. Some snacks and lots of 3 in 1's.

Water
2l Bladder
1l Nalgene
Premac MWP filter

Possibles
Puukko Knife
Ferro rod
Spare lighter wrapped in duct tape
10m Dyneema
Sony HX20 camera in case
Tinder card
Needles and thread
Heliograph / tick mirror
Compass
Mossie head net
Maps in a ziploc

Hygiene
Loo roll
Tooth brush and paste
Soap + bit of old trek towel
Washing up liquid and 1 cloth

Clothing
Ventile smock
Ventile gaiters
Spare socks
Spare undies
Possum hat and gloves
Extra mid layer fleece

FAK
Midge repel
Assorted plasters
Blister plasters
Lipsyl
2x Blisters Ibuprofen
1x Blister paracetemol
Immodium
Alcohol wipes
tweezers
Chlorine tabs

Other stuff
45l pack
2x Kohla walking poles
Rucksack liner
Phone
Wallet
Keys
MP3 player

That's looking pretty good to me:)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
No there's nothing I would change from the original list other than the saw, a saw an the moors seems like a hammock in the desert ! Hydration bladders are heavier than you think. Loose one bottle and add a folding water container and carry a bit less water. I find 2 litres during the day enough, and more at night.

Better than rubble sacks, you can use the 10p "bag for life" from sainsburys aldis lidls tescos, and when they wear out, take them back and get a new one for free ! Saving you money, here on BCUK !

Keep the most comfotable rucksack.

Cut the handle off your tooth brush.

15 kg is ok for 4-6 days. Also you know the vargo triad meths burner (I think thats what its called) is alot more efficient, 15g per 500ml boiled, a trangia is something like 40g per 500ml.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Lots of good advice here, and I can't add much really, except to say that generally I find that I use my Laplander saw more than my knife. I have a spyderco honeybee on my keyring for little cutting jobs, and often find the knife goes unused. The saw rarely does, but then I usually use a woodburning stove.

Depends how you work really. :)

Yeah I love my Laplander too, its a rare trip when I don't take it. But I suppose if I don't need to process a lot of fire wood it makes sense not to take it this time.

Lol, You wont regret it. List is looking good now. Dont know if you ever come across them but i use soap leaves. Thin little paper wafers of soap, great all round cleaner and weigh nowt. Lifeventure do them for about £4-5 but i got a load recently in wilko for 50p each. Anyhow one for the future if you come across them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250981049...&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54

They look pretty good, I'll check out Wilco's for them.

I have been using these instead of my Nalgene. Once empty take up less room than a bottle. You can attach a hydration straw to them.
I once had a 3ltr bladder burst on me, soaked me and my kit and leaves you with a limited water supply.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Platypus-...pt=AU_Backpacks_Hydration&hash=item43be638218

Yeah I've had that happen to me to, but it was a few years a go. Hopefully technology's moved on since then! Never actually used the one of I've got, came free with a rucksack so I'll try it out before I take it on the trip. Those platypus bottles look good.

That's looking pretty good to me:)

Cheers for your advice :D

No there's nothing I would change from the original list other than the saw, a saw an the moors seems like a hammock in the desert ! Hydration bladders are heavier than you think. Loose one bottle and add a folding water container and carry a bit less water. I find 2 litres during the day enough, and more at night.

Better than rubble sacks, you can use the 10p "bag for life" from sainsburys aldis lidls tescos, and when they wear out, take them back and get a new one for free ! Saving you money, here on BCUK !

Keep the most comfotable rucksack.

Cut the handle off your tooth brush.

15 kg is ok for 4-6 days. Also you know the vargo triad meths burner (I think thats what its called) is alot more efficient, 15g per 500ml boiled, a trangia is something like 40g per 500ml.

I've got a folding toothbrush ;).

Undecided on the rucksack, the LA is twice as heavy but I might take it for the excellent back system and with the extra room I don't have to be super organised with my packing.

That little whitebox is pretty efficient 20g for 500ml or thereabouts in my test, not bad for a DIY. But I'm going to take Teepee's advice and go gas for this trip, soulless as it is :).

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
the gas is quicker I'll give you that much. The a4 cartridges especially the campingaz ones weigh 350g for 250g of gas, better than the 350g for 200g of gas, they have a feed pipe inside, enabling easy switching between liquid and gas feed ideal for liquid feed stoves. 3 of these cartridges weigh 1050g and are alot smaller than 2l of meths, at 1600g.

Edit: campingaz a4 also are filled with pure isobutane too, or so they say.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE