'Overlevnad' PDF Download

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Thanks for taking the time out to post this at this busy time for you, Johan. Very informative.

So, in other words you’re suggesting that everybody wait until Sgt Sim returns from Sweden with official news about the Swedish Military copyright?

I guess so long as we distribute any translations in private (by PM) and not make them available on an open forum for anyone to read, then we’re all in the clear, and won't go to prison :D

Good luck for tomorrow, by the way!

Best regards,
Paul.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Sounds like a plan. I will in the comming week be wrighting a email to the Swedish SERE school in Karlsborg and explain the situation.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Excellent news Sgt Sim, and while we wait for more from you (superb effort from you, by the way :approve: and glad you like 'The Plan') I thought I’d share a few tricks with the forum that me and the guys have learned and developed over the years. I think you’ll agree that much of this can be adapted for use in bushcraft for a variety of extreme situations in which many of us find ourselves, from time to time :) :

pointman1.jpg

pointman2.jpg

pointman3.jpg

pointman4.jpg

pointman5.jpg

pointman6.jpg

pointman7.jpg

Best Regards,
Paul.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for taking the time out to post this at this busy time for you, Johan. Very informative.

So, in other words you’re suggesting that everybody wait until Sgt Sim returns from Sweden with official news about the Swedish Military copyright?

I guess so long as we distribute any translations in private (by PM) and not make them available on an open forum for anyone to read, then we’re all in the clear, and won't go to prison :D

Good luck for tomorrow, by the way!

Best regards,
Paul.

Paul,
Glad to be of any help mate, it was a good exercise for my exam :D

I'm indeed suggesting to wait until Sgt Sim returns (and has written to the SERE school).
Distributing via PM seems perfectly acceptable to me, as long there's no single copy / version of this translation ends up on the internet before there's any permission by the Swedish MoD is given (or not).

If it ends up on the Net (in any way, shap or form), then you are really distributing it - available for the public. If you prefend this (having it on the Net) you could defend the translation being used for private / close relation atmosphere.

As an asside: if permission is not given, this translation is technically a breach with copyright, even if it's kept private etc. Please remind BCUK's Terms and Conditions concerning content submitted to the website (see link below, 3th alinea), etc. etc. We don't want Tony to get into the ....
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/internal/legal-documents/bushcraftuk-terms-and-conditions-of-use.html

If Sgt Sim doesn't receives an answer on his e-mail - I would suggest to contact them again, but then by writing them a letter (that's on paper, I know ... that's so oldfashioned :rolleyes: )
Again - if permission is given, it would be best to ask for a confirmation in an official letter (paper). And, after translating, adding this letter (though with personal info to receiver of this letter being removed - black lines).
:deal: ;)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Paul,
Glad to be of any help mate, it was a good exercise for my exam :D

I'm indeed suggesting to wait until Sgt Sim returns (and has written to the SERE school).
Distributing via PM seems perfectly acceptable to me, as long there's no single copy / version of this translation ends up on the internet before there's any permission by the Swedish MoD is given (or not).

If it ends up on the Net (in any way, shap or form), then you are really distributing it - available for the public. If you prefend this (having it on the Net) you could defend the translation being used for private / close relation atmosphere.

As an asside: if permission is not given, this translation is technically a breach with copyright, even if it's kept private etc. Please remind BCUK's Terms and Conditions concerning content submitted to the website (see link below, 3th alinea), etc. etc. We don't want Tony to get into the ....
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/internal/legal-documents/bushcraftuk-terms-and-conditions-of-use.html

If Sgt Sim doesn't receives an answer on his e-mail - I would suggest to contact them again, but then by writing them a letter (that's on paper, I know ... that's so oldfashioned :rolleyes: )
Again - if permission is given, it would be best to ask for a confirmation in an official letter (paper). And, after translating, adding this letter (though with personal info to receiver of this letter being removed - black lines).
:deal: ;)

That's all cool with me :)

Cheers,
Paul.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Hello everybody! I have written to the School but not recived any reply jet. So we simply have to wait. I will be at home again next friday, but there is a small chance that I have internet in the cottage I am staying in at the moment (me and a colleuge discovered a routor in a cuborn...). I will also, when I get hold of them, ask if we can get the permission on paper or in digital form. In the mean time I am going to enjoy my away job, since the cottage I am living in is 100m away from Culloden forrest, so I know what I am going to be doin every single time after work from now on... hehehe..:D

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Good new (or partly)! I have recived a email from the SERE School and our request is now handeled by the Head of the school. So, one step forward...:D

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Weekly update: No word yet, I guess that it have passed upwards and probably is with the people at the HQ in Stockholm. But soon enough my friends...:D

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Still nothing.... But there has been some significat holidays (the Midsommar) quite recently, and these things might take a wile. The HQ are not famous for beeing fast.. Belev me...

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Hi everyone!

Now, finally, there has been some conciderable development on the issue! As I suspected, my email with our request had been forwarded to the Armed Forces HQ. They have pretty much sad yes to our plan but wants it to be done right. They have requested the Swedish Patent and Registration Office (which is a govermential body handeling all copyright issues) to work out a permit for us to translate the Hbok Overlevnad. They will as soon as possible get in contact whit me and we will after that hopefully recive a written permit to translate the manual.
The other very postitive thing is that the Head of the Swedish Armed Forces SERE School also decided to send me a message, I quote: "The SERE School is very positive to your request per email on the 4th of june 2007. The scholl however whises to make clear that the copyright of Hbok Overlevnad still hold by the Swedish Armed Forces and nothing changes that copyright by your translation. The SERE school would also be very gratefull if you could provide a translated copy to us". So, it is going pretty well.

So, in my wold, we can start the translation pretty soon. For this, we need the following:
- All the translations that has alreday been done
- A smal team of swedish-english speakers who will do the reading-through and make sure that the translation is accurat in comparacence to the english translation.

If no one disagreas, I can try and coordinate this and with a bit of luck, we can have a translation finished as soon as the Patent an Registration Office gives us the goahead.

I would therefore request the following:
- All you that have any kind of translations done of the manual, please PM me and I will give you my email address so you can send them to me.
- All swedish speakers how wants to be with me on this, please PM me and we will set it up between us. I also request all swedish people how has the Granen- training or equviliant (HV, FBU, Utlandsstyrkan, Civilforsvaret) to step forward (that is to make sure that the facts in the manual gets right and also to show the Swedish SERE School that there has been people involved in the translation how "knows" a bit of the Swedish SERE training).

I will also PM some people that I think know has some translations already or could be interested in being in the read-through team.

I am still however working away in Inverness during the weeks, so next contact after sunday will be on friday or saturday next week. I do not think that is going to be a problem thoe, since the Patent an Registration Office has to make up there mind first.

Finally stuff is happening... :1244:

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
This is wonderful news, sgt sim. And I’d like to thank you once more for all your excellent efforts on our behalf, and to formally mention my gratitude to the Swedish military for their generous cooperation. I’m quite staggered by their offer. What an incredible learning opportunity they have given to us non-Swedish speakers. Amazing!

Someone you should get in touch with by PM, is the member big_swede. It’s a matter of public record (posted on the open forum) that he was a Ranger, and has excellent English language skills. He’d be a great asset to have for the translation. Hopefully, he’ll be able to find some time from his very busy schedule to help out with this.

Best regards,
Paul.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Excellent news! I look forward to an english version of this, as my swedish is none exsistent but I know that this publication contains a lot of good information. Hopefully things will speed along and we can see the Hbok Overlevnad completed in english before Christmas (A well known saying in the second world war!). Any chance of an idea on how much of a percentage of the manual has been translated already?

Does this mean that the Swedish SERE School may even make the Hbok Overlevnad into a proper handbook like the original, but in the english language? I hope so!

Thanks to all that are involved in this, there will be a lot of people who will benefit from this, and we all very much appreciate you translators giving up your free time to do this.:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE