'Overlevnad' PDF Download

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
The manual is very good indeed and it is a shame that it has not been published in english. The reason is that it is still (even if it was made in the 1980ts) the standard referencework for all survival training in the Swedish Armed Forces and its relating bodies.

It is nice to hear that there is people how find it informative by just looking at the pictures and I have been thinking that some kind of smal translation of some features (for instance there is a long list over what your uniform, a standard swedish one, can be used for to make equipment and tools to replace others with) that I actualy hade in mind to translate and possible post on to the forum or make some kind of "pdf- non- official- translation- thingie" of the hole thing.

If there is a interest out there, I can translate some of the features in the manual and also provide some translations upon request. It will not be an formal, law binding translation such as one you would get from a one line translator, but it will be free, made by one how has intimate knowledge of the manual, done the training that the manual originaly was designed for and is bilangular (fluent swedish and english in wrighting and speaking).

So what say you?:D

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Sgt Sim,

I would be interested in part or whole translation, I think this was discussed earlier this year but cant remember the outcome. Don't have time to search for thread at the moment but will try later.

Cheers

JFW

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The manual is very good indeed and it is a shame that it has not been published in english. The reason is that it is still (even if it was made in the 1980ts) the standard referencework for all survival training in the Swedish Armed Forces and its relating bodies.

It is nice to hear that there is people how find it informative by just looking at the pictures and I have been thinking that some kind of smal translation of some features (for instance there is a long list over what your uniform, a standard swedish one, can be used for to make equipment and tools to replace others with) that I actualy hade in mind to translate and possible post on to the forum or make some kind of "pdf- non- official- translation- thingie" of the hole thing.

If there is a interest out there, I can translate some of the features in the manual and also provide some translations upon request. It will not be an formal, law binding translation such as one you would get from a one line translator, but it will be free, made by one how has intimate knowledge of the manual, done the training that the manual originaly was designed for and is bilangular (fluent swedish and english in wrighting and speaking).

So what say you?:D

If you were to take the time out to do that for the forum users, I for one, would be very grateful.:You_Rock_

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Ahjno,

thanks for that link to the previous thread, had a rather hectic day at work and couldn't spend my lunch hour browsing the site.

Cheers

JFW

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Rigth, I try my best.... I still have to take a propper look at the former tread in relation to this (I am at the Airport going to Sweden at the moment), mostly in relation to the copyright. I will also be on a "away"- job during the next week, so contacts might be slightly sporadical. I will however start the process of translation straight away. I will however leev some stuff out in the translation (such as how you dig a burrial for your commrade proparly in war time). I will start with the stuff that is (or at least I see as) most useful to people on the forum.

I now have a mission...:bandit:

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
Good evening everyone. I guess there are some swedish people here who could take some pages each to translate.
Sgt Sim has obviously taken 22-23, any other pages I could do for you guys.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
The diagram is about two different situations and what happens to the body.
A: You have only access to water and drink three liters a day.
B: You have the water and eat plants which give you carbohydrates, more than 2000KJ (500kcal).

In short: A - your body is toast within ten days. B - After about four weeks you need meat.
The text is about the same as in other books.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Basically anything will do. Please don't spend too much time on it. No rush.

Thanks

Nick

PS met two swedish guys in the Verdon Gorge climbing, in 1992. Both had done mil. service. Decent guys, Stefan Sundstrom and Stefan Bjornsdal. Tanked down beer like water as it was very cheap for them.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
As I posted in the other thread I can do an almost complete translation of the pdf (with the odd error). Only Im not sure how the copyright will work out. If someone an find out then feel free to send me a pm and ill happily throw you over a translated copy.

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
Hi,

I looked at this a while back and it occurred to me that you could possibly avoid copyright issues by creating a word-for-word Swedish-English dictionary focussed on Bushcrafty terms and common words. You could then provide the dictionary in electronic format for members to use as they see fit (for example, doing a find-replace on a Swedish text they wanted to translate).

I know I started on a version of this and have an Excel file somewhere, where I did the index of this PDF using an online translator. Not all the words came up, so it could do with an overview by a Swedish speaker.

If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll dig out the file.

Slán,
Mal

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
In the UK I thnk 5% is allowed unless it's an excluded works.

We will have to wait for a copyright/intellectual property expert to post.

Nick

Not an expert, but have an exam on copyright / intellectual property tomorrow (yes, I know ... saturday ... blame uni :rant: ...).

First we need to know if there's a copyright on the Swedish manual. According to posts by Viking and Stuart (?) we know there are copyrights on this manual and they are owned by the Swedish MoD.

Second, if a translation is made, a new copyright is created. This creation comes into effect by the creative labour, performed by the translater(s). Though I doubt if a translation performed by a computer(program), will be accepted as creative labour (good question to research in a thesis!!).

Third, if there's no permission by the owner of the original copyright a translation of this manual will be a breach with their rights.

Fourth, eventhough there's a breach with the original copyrights, the new manual has its own copyright.
Assuming the translation will be performed by a few Swedish-speaking members (and not a computer): they own these new created rights. If I simply copy and paste their text (translation), add my name - they can sue me for breaching their rights (eventhough they where in breach themselves).

Fifth, of course this all is according Dutch law - but, due to Bruxelles regulations, etc, etc, I think it will not differ much from UK law.

Best is to contact the Swedish MoD by some of our Swedish members to ask for a formal (and in writing) permission.

Back to my books :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE