Out testing new hammock/tarp/pod set-up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
Hi all. hope you're all enjoying the lovely summer weather! [/sarcasm]
Just thought I'd post up some pictures from a recent trip to test out my new hammock/tarp/pod set-up.

IMAG1112.jpg

IMAG1108.jpg

IMAG1109.jpg

IMAG1110.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
Yeah that's right, certainly helps, it's nice and quiet too so it's nice for longer trips too.
I was in a rush the other day and missed some kit, it wasn't too much hassle to nip back and get it.
A couple of shots from outside the permission...

hdr_00007_0.jpg

hdr_00018_0.jpg

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
What's the camo sheet for under your tarp?

Old bit of tarp, multi-purpose for laying on outside when the grounds a bit damp but nice enough to catch some rays.
In the pic its underneath the hammock so I could put my rucksack on it when I got there and wasn't using it and have something dry to step on when I got out the hammock as we had 3 days of solid rain before we got there (I know it doesn't look bad but its strange soil, very spongy to walk on), so the ground was sodden, we were also forecast a wet weekend. Stops me churning up the mud too so I can leave the site how I found it, not a quagmire.
Just handy to have, bit of a multi purpose ground sheet really.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Old bit of tarp, multi-purpose for laying on outside when the grounds a bit damp but nice enough to catch some rays.
In the pic its underneath the hammock so I could put my rucksack on it when I got there and wasn't using it and have something dry to step on when I got out the hammock as we had 3 days of solid rain before we got there (I know it doesn't look bad but its strange soil, very spongy to walk on), so the ground was sodden, we were also forecast a wet weekend. Stops me churning up the mud too so I can leave the site how I found it, not a quagmire.

I was going to ask the same question.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Sorry I meant the fabric around the hammock, is this your pod? What's the purpose, is it added weather protection?

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
We do a similar thing when family tent camping, hi traffic areas can (even on dry days) get worn out very quickly.

That's true, we try to stick to pathways within the camp so as to just wear a thin path, not walk all over the place and trample it all down.

Also, you can't see in this picture, forgot to mention in first post, added shock cord round the bottom of my pod so when I'm in I can pull it closed and keep any draft or mozzies out as well as picking the slack up off the ground.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
That looks a really interesting setup. Presumably draping the tarp down to the ground around the hammock also cuts out the side winds which make hammocks so cold underneath?

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
Sorry I meant the fabric around the hammock, is this your pod? What's the purpose, is it added weather protection?

Ah yeah, this is my pod.
I go over to India every year, and don't need extra weather protection so I didn't want to sew anything to my hammock at all. But in the UK I go every couple of weeks regardless of weather, I've been in strong winds this year, snow, sideways rain etc.
Learning from friends pods, I didn't want to have velcro, zips or toggles on the hammock so I could have a removable pod as they tend to be drafty, itchy or cold.
So I went for a design after lots of thought where I can totally remove the pod and have the hammock in it's original condition for my trips to India.
I ran a ridgeline from one hook to another on the hammock.
Then the hooks go through either end of my pod.
I get in and out a shock corded bottom, which has a toggle so when I'm in I can pull the cord tight and shut it up completely.
It means I have no drafty spots where I join material to my hammock but need a space to get in and out, and yet I can totally remove it when I go abroad and don't need it. I have a replica made out of mozzy netting for India.
I could post my design/how too if anyone was interested.
I added a window for more comfort and so I can peek outside when I want :)

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
That looks a really interesting setup. Presumably draping the tarp down to the ground around the hammock also cuts out the side winds which make hammocks so cold underneath?

Yes, I made it a bit longer than needed so when I'm in, and I pull the shock cord tight, I get a warm air bubble underneath my hammock.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What was that blue stuff in one of the pictures? It looks familiar but must be something I've seen a long time ago :)

I'd be interested in your pod design - do you even need the top tarp?

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
What was that blue stuff in one of the pictures? It looks familiar but must be something I've seen a long time ago :)

I'd be interested in your pod design - do you even need the top tarp?

Lol, yes it's been a while since we had a long period of the blue stuff.
No I don't need the tarp other than to stop things from above hitting me and also it cuts out the wind from the sides hitting my pod, just extra comfort again really.
It's all so small and light, carrying the tarp is no hassle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE