Out and about in Brecon and OS map question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Hiya
So me and the girlfriend are going camping in Brecon at the beginning of August (Yes I know I'm missing the moot!).

The first question is, where would you recommend going/doing? We're thinking of going to brecon and talgarth and perhaps rent a canoe and go to hay on wye. Any other suggestions of places to go would be nice.

Second question, which map should we buy/take? The main part of the national park is on OS map OL12 and includes Brecon. Talgarth is on OL13 and Hay-on-wye is on OL13, but some of the other areas around are on 189. Everywhere seems to lie on a map boundary! A 1:25000 map is ideal for us walking (I'll use the satnav to drive there) but we don't want to have a huge pile of maps and custom OS maps don't seem worth it! Is there a non OS map that covers this area or a map that is better or would you recommend getting OL12 and visting places in the beacons and visiting but not exploring around talgarth etc?

Thanks
Dan

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i would just head up there mate, and if needed buy the map you need that day from a local shop, even super stores (tesco) sell local OS maps now....

worth having a look at the Black Mountains too as your near the area, ish....;)

best of luck with it Dan and have a good time...

chris.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Pen y fan last time I was there they were having a new visitors center built with all the facilitys ,so that would be the best start as for maps if your stuck send me a pm and I'll post the main two to you just send them back when finished

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Thanks Chris.
Since borrowed a map from a friend.
Think we may go canoeing, climb Pen-y-fan (from the north? marked on the OS map as having a few footpaths but can't find any mentions online) and such
Dan

Pen Y Fan has got lots of paths up and down it, you should make the summit no problems by just following the path, but best to always have a map + compass...

if you do get a chance to look up the Black Mountains, its well worth it, some place up the top there is a Red Series 2a Land Rover (pick up i think??) pointless fact of the day for you....:)

enjoy dude:):):):):):):):):)

chris.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Some pleasant camp-sites around the Langors lake area, good walks around there as well, a trip up the road to Gilfach farm has an indoor climbing centre and some decent tracks for walking out or hire a pony for a bit of treking, then if you want there is the Sugar loaf and a few other hills and bumps down towards Crickhowell or back up to Pen-y-fan or a drive over to the Dan-yr-orgof cave systems or over the top for a day walk on the hills looking for crashed aircraft such as the Wellington bomber and the Vampire jet, also some fantastic views over the edge into the valley below.

Lots of places to see things, do things and learn things...Just avoid the surplus stores around Brecon, they are a tad expensive

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I was up on a circuit of the Fan last Monday and Fan Fawr circuit on Wednesday.

I used the 1:25k map. But I noted Waterstones have a 3 for 2 deal on OS maps on currently.

If you get onto the tops it's worth making the effort to get to the trig with Tony Swierzy's memorial plaque on.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Can highly recommend a great little camp site in Brecon called Priory Mill Farm, they allows fires and is RIGHT next to a georgous little river.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For canoe hire, Glasbury is the place to be. I've canoed down to Hay from there a few times, and it isn't too challenging, but is a nice stretch of river. For even easier look at paddling the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal. Once you are about 5 miles south of Brecon you have the longest piece of naviagable lock-free canal in Britain ahead of you.

I recmmend the Black Mountains too. Much less foot traffic than the central Beacons. Best peak there is Pen y Gadair Fawr, but don't bother with the high point Waun Fawr unless you really like churned up peat bogs. Don't try Pen-y-Fan on a weekend unless you like crowds. By the way, from the north is the steep way.

PM me if you want more info. Black Mountains is my favourite walking area.

Make sure your map is 1:25000 to show field boundaries.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Yea I've booked Priory Mill farm last week after lots of recommendations here! Got the 1:25000 map so thanks to all the offers of maps here but I'm sorted.
Will climb pen-y-fan during the week, is the route from the north really steep or just quite steep? Capable of walking decent hills but don't want to start climbing!
Also any recommendations of companies to hire canoes from (like the idea of canoe and they pick you up at the other end after a pub lunch!)
Any good proper country pubs in the brecon area would also be good (the ones in town don't seem great but if we could walk back the campsite even better than driving!)?
Generally as many ideas as possible please :)
Thanks
Dan

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Yea I've booked Priory Mill farm last week after lots of recommendations here! Got the 1:25000 map so thanks to all the offers of maps here but I'm sorted.
Will climb pen-y-fan during the week, is the route from the north really steep or just quite steep? Capable of walking decent hills but don't want to start climbing!
Also any recommendations of companies to hire canoes from (like the idea of canoe and they pick you up at the other end after a pub lunch!)
Any good proper country pubs in the brecon area would also be good (the ones in town don't seem great but if we could walk back the campsite even better than driving!)?
Generally as many ideas as possible please :)
Thanks
Dan

The route from the North can be made pretty easy if you take most of it alomg the gap road then swing west when you hit the ridgeline, park near Bailea, it's a much more gradual ascent, and then you can come down one of the ridgeline paths if you want. Be very careful on the top if visibility is bad becuase the path off isn't that obvious and without a compass you'll be heading for the cliff. Or if you want a longer walk park in the Taf Fechan Forest and take the track west from the bottom of the upper reservoir to the ridgeline and simply follow it all the way around, as once on the ridgeline you done most of the ascent bit.

Your also near to the waterfall walks between Pontneddfechan and Porth yr ogof where the river disappears underground. If you start at Porth Yr Ogof end a six hour walk will take you round all the waterfalls in a big circle, and standing behind the waterfall at Sgwd yr Eira when we've had this much rain is fantastic. Took my lads and some other scouts there last weekend and it was fantastic.

Enjoy

Rich

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
What route from the north??

Up from the old camp at Cwm Gwidi or starting somewhere else..

Perhaps consider starting at the Storey Arms and following the really big path up from there to the summit of Pen Y Fan via Corn Du.

The terrain is steep but its a walk..

Have fun...

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Sounds good rich. Don't suppose you could use an online OS map and mark the route you suggest for the north? Theres two car parks in OS0224 which I thought would make good potential start points.

Either of those carparks are fine but it's a much steeper climb up from there, and a longer climb up than from the Storey Arms. My suggestion is to park anywhere between Bailea and Cwmcynwyn on the next valley to the east. MAny years ago I was part of the first ground based archaeological survey of the Breacon Beacons and that was always the route we'd take to the top as it was probably the least strenuous being at the gradient of a road to the ridge.

Rich

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Would parking at OS987198 and walking the national trail be more advisable?

The car park at Pont ar Daf is good and the track that leads up from the car park to the col at Bwylch Durwant is like a motorway....

When you start up the track from the car park there is an old pillbox and section post located on the LH side as you look up the hill I suppose this was located at the natural choke point on the old road...

The ridge line that runs SE from Bwylch Durwant and takes in Craig Gwan Taf, Rhiw yr Ysgyfarnog, Craig Fan Ddu and ending up on Twyn Mwyalchod and the 642 trig is a very nice walk indeed...

Its possible to then drop down to the Neudd Reservoir cross over then head up the old roman road to PYF

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The car parks on the south side of Pen-y-fan don't exactly have a good reputation for being safe. Lots of break-ins there last year that I know of. I wouldn't use them myself.

For canoe hire I use the one in Glasbury next to the bridge, and I think they do pick ups as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE