our first bannock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scout

Nomad
Aug 30, 2005
Dumfries & Galloway
me and dad(morch) camped out last night an decided to have a fire.
we made our first bannock

the recipie was: plain flour ,water (very little) ,sultanas ,coco powder (optional)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The first one is always good :rolleyes:

Try this one; 3, 2, 1 :)

3 measures of flour .....be sensible use self raising!
2 of dried milk.....any kind will do
1 of dried fruit or small fresh pieces or cocoa or grated cheese.....whatever

add a teaspoonful of baking powder.....if you're making a lot add more, about 1 level teaspoonful per100g is about right with self raising flour, it's not needed but it makes for easier eating.
Add sufficient water to bind into a not crumby or sticky dough.

Bake, enjoy :D

Chopped sundried tomatoes and grated cheddar is very good, especially if you add some sesame seeds

cheers,
Toddy

Rick

Jun 26, 2005
Brighton
Made ash cakes out of my usual mix, (pl. flour, sugar and a bit of baking soda), we mixed blackberries into the mixture shaped little scones and chucked them on the coals for 5 minutes (forgot the pan) ,mmmmm Lovely.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
has any one got a real simple bannock recipe as i am a bannock firstimer

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
try 2 parts flour, 1 part milk powder, brown sugar, table spoon of baking powder.
mix it all up add little bit off water slowly till its like a ball shape that does not stick to you hands that much. Bung it in your oven on your fire what ever your pleasure...

I top it with brown sugar, sometimes put rasions or chopped fruit in it..

dont foget to enjoy it!!! :D

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I tried it once with beef jerky in it (chewy), bacon (yummy), chopped boiled egg (interesting...) but the best of all was with sun dried tomatoes, garam masala curry paste (honestly!) and pilchards. Absolutely utterly lip-smackingly delicious. And incredibly messy of course...

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
capacious said:
I tried it once with beef jerky in it (chewy), bacon (yummy), chopped boiled egg (interesting...) but the best of all was with sun dried tomatoes, garam masala curry paste (honestly!) and pilchards. Absolutely utterly lip-smackingly delicious. And incredibly messy of course...

Jeez...how long did that take to get out of your hands?!!? :eek:

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE