One skill and one skill only...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jakunen

Native
Ginja said:
One skill and one skill only? Hmm.... I'm going to have to be a bit 'boring' here and say navigation - ie. reading maps, stars, understanding landscape/landform, etc. In my experience, the lack of confidence and downright fear that can come from not knowing where you are/where to go can have a hugely negative effect on just about everything else you might be trying to do at the time.

Not that I am by any means an expert navigator! But the more I work on this skill, the more I realise just how vital it is ... as a good friend of mine often says: "Without good navigation skills, you ain't going anywhere!" (quite literally).

G
Having been a man in muli-tonal clothing I can heartily agree (as will Gary probably).

NEVER EVER let a Rupert lose with a map...

5.10leader

James has interpreted my thoughts exactly. The bushcraft ideal is to leave no trace that we have been there.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
jakunen said:
Having been a man in muli-tonal clothing I can heartily agree (as will Gary probably).

NEVER EVER let a Rupert lose with a map...

LIGHT HOUSE IN DESERT SPRINGS TO MIND - odd for bcuk ............. or is it!! (followed by manic laughing) ha hahahahahahahahahah :rolmao: :shock:

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Gary said:
But I would also add a sense of humour to common sense for put these two together and you can overcome anything.

I heartily agree with this, but I don't think you can teach either of these skills!!

I'd vote for observation - not just passive watching, but analysing and learning from what you see - I've learnt more from observing humans, animals, plants, weather etc than from any other source

What little "common sense" I possess (I'm an academic :roll: ) is directly attributable to lessons learnt from observing

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Oh yeah, Ruperts and navigation...

I onced rowed a coxless pair with a former Rupert - he steered the boat, I stroked. We were competing on a huge lake, devoid of features except the buoys marking the course. Warming up on the way to the start, I heard an almighty crash and the boat came to a sudden halt. I looked round, and we'd collided with a huge yellow floating hut thing that umpires sit in...

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
How to work my mobile phone...containing the phone numbers of lots of bushcrafty people, the emergency services and pizza delivery....

:wink:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Taking into account of course, the fact that I would only be ordering pizza if I knew where I was, because ordering pizza when you're lost wouldn't be a sensible thing to do...and I'm a very sensible person.

:shock:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
so who is gonna tell me how to design a campsite pizza oven ?

then i can bin my mobile and get back to enjoying the woods :nana:

Tant

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Dunno about a Pizza oven but I could manage a reasonable Pizza with rocks and tin foil.

In terms of the "single skill" I'd like to teach, although it probably borders on the philosophical in some peoples eyes, I'd like to convince people that they don't need all the crap they think they need and that when they don't have it, they're not in trouble... They're just in different circumstances.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tant remind me one day to teach you how to cook a pizza in the field - its easy - honestly!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
In all seriousness, I think it would be fire for me. Shelter, if you're lucky you can find, food you can do without for a few days, water would be the other priority.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE